Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HoTT 28mm Dark age Fantasy - New photos 03/12/2011  (Read 10489 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
HoTT 28mm Dark age Fantasy - New photos 03/12/2011
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:04:06 AM »
Rather than my usual skirmish gaming, I've decided to try basing figures up in units -although I've chosen HoTT basing, I may well end up writing my own rules. Slowly working my through the various figures I've accumulated over the last year or so - the entire project is the early dark ages/migration era as seen through the sagas (Beowulf, Volsung saga, etc), with a few more Trolls and the like injected for the fun of it. I'm also blurring historical accuracy a bit at times...

Ghouls - vaguely inspired by 13th Warrior, and the fact that I didn't get around to using them for another project I had lined up... [Mantic & GW]

Irish warriors and general (Probably will be used as spears, although I guess they could also be used as Blade elements as there aren't too many spears in these two groups... others on my paint station are more spear orientated. Trying to depict a 'shield wall'-ish with these) [Gripping Beast]

Germanic Hero - Aeldwulf Thorsson & Hild the one eyed. And yes, Aeldwulf does take after his Dad a bit...! [Foundry & GB]

Romano-British/Welsh heroes (*cough*Arthur?*cough*) [GB, Salute? Limited edition]

Welsh Druidic Magician (*cough*Merlin?*cough*). I might need to touch up his nose... although I don't recall it looking chipped in the flesh... [GB woman, no idea about 'merlin']

Saxon Ceorl Skirmishers (shooters) [BTD]

Saxon Aetheling (Blade or Spear General) [GB]

Nymph Warband (As a type of land spirit) [Foundry]

Romano-British/Welsh/Irish Christian priests (Cleric) [GB]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:52:30 AM by v_lazy_dragon »
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: HoTT 28mm Dark age Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
Very interesting. Plus there's always Grendel, and a whole host of weird and wonderful spirits/ghosts/shades to use.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Nice stuff there!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

Turns out the Scots-Irish should be Warbands rather than Spear  lol Oh well. I'll do the rest as Warbands, but the 'King'  and his retainers can stay as spears (the laater list has spears in in... these guys are just a few years early ;) )

@dijit - Grendel will be here at ssome stage, as will his mother, the Dragon and the swarms of lesser monsters vaguely mentioned in the Beowulf Saga. Also got some GW dryads to use as Land Vaettir (spirits), and some 54mm vikings to use as Giants/Jotun/Ettins...

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
VERY NICE! You certainly picked out some Oh-So-Cool minis to include in your project; AND did a FINE job bringing them all to life.My only regret is that I can't see the Nymph Gang as well as I'd like.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
Thankyou very much! I do like the 'migration era' look with the Sutton Hoo and Vendel Style helmets, so hopefully there will be more to come.

I'll make sure to get a few more picturres of the Nymphs when I get the next batch photographed (probably next week, but progress dependant). I'm toying with changing some of tthe clothing colours so that they're not all in the same colour green. Don't know wether to do an assortment of natural colours, or maybe try to do an element in each of various themes (Spring, Autum, etc)... I shall muse further!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
Cracking stuff - always been tempted by Dark Ages stuff.

Nice mix with the Nymphs and ghouls in there too!  8)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »
Great job!

One of the best things about HOTT being that the base size is the most important thing.
It gives a real chance to make some mini-diorama's, which you have managed to pull off very well here.

Well done, I'm impressed.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »
Thanks - the possibility of making dioramas was the main reason for the bigger bases. I actually added 10mm to the depth of Spear, Shooter, Blade & Warband bases to give me a bit more versatility for the posing of figures

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: HoTT 28mm Dark age Fantasy - New photos 29/09/2011
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
Right... here's why I've been so quite. About 2/3rds newly painted, and the remaining 3rd has been tarting up old paint schemes (more shading primarily)

Viking/generic hero (Yes, he is HUGE!) [Foundry & Artizan]

Viking/Generic blade elements [BTD, GB, Artizan & Crusader]

Viking/generic shooters [BTD]

Blackshield Irish warband base [GB]

Viking army thus far

Irish army thus far
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:16:57 AM by v_lazy_dragon »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
Argh... stop it!!!

I absolutely LOVE that chieftain/king with the raven  :-* A bit big, maybe an avatar of Allfather Odin? Foundry or Reaper?

I have a bad case of Dark-Ageitis from reading Cornwell (both the Arthur and the Uhtred stories), and I simply can't spare the time for curing it at the moment...

Combining it with fantasy/horror elements is actually also a very nice idea. I have Age of Blood, and I kind of plan to start using it as a miniature-based rpg-ish participation-thin at my club.... when I can get Real Life to stop bugging me and get som time for painting a couple of handfulls of Vikings/Saxons.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:16:06 AM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
Lol - thanks

The good news is that you should get some respite from this thread for a month or so whilst I paint my way through the next batch. The Bernard Cornwall storeis were amjor insperation, especially being able to listen to them on audiobook whilst I model.

The avatar/son of Odin is a Foundry figure, used to be Ltd Ed, but I think he is now generally available. I was tempted to replace the sword with a spear, and make him into a model off the allfather, but I think I'll get the Bronze Age miniatures Norse God set (although I think they will probably be a similar size).

I'm planning to crack on with the 'human' types for a bit (mainly early saxons), before I diversify out too far into myth and legend... although in the background of some of the latest pictures you can see some frost giants....

I found a few quick snaps of some of the stuff on my paint station at the moment...

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
This is great work!

I wanted to try something similar (i.e. any fantasy rules not GW), but I never managed to start ... probably I should reduce the time I waste online ...

... so, go on:-*

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »
I think for a generic fantasy-set, you can't miss by getting Song of Blades and Heroes. Simply my favourite for fantasy skirmish. Anything goes!

Otherwise, if you don't mind using a slightly rules-heavy system, Age of Blood also has allowance for some fantasy/mythic lore elements (and it's free, I tell ya, FREE!!!  ;D;)