Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 753
Total: 758

Recent

Author Topic: Bull Run to Gettysburg rules queries  (Read 3045 times)

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
Bull Run to Gettysburg rules queries
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »
Hi all, there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Foundry site to ask questions about their new rules, so I'm posting a few questions here as there seems to be a bit of a buzz around the rules here  :)

I'm hoping to get a first game in at the weekend, so any advice appreciated.

1. In the Outcome of Close Combat section on page 44, it says a unit suffering the greater number of casualties has lost the close combat and must check its morale status later in the game turn. Page 47 doesn't mention taking a morale check for losing combat, only if unit takes 10% loss from starting strength over the turn. Are both statements correct?

2. Assuming you do have to check morale for losing combat whatever your casualties, does retiring through pushback count as retiring for morale purposes, so losing CC & pushback would be cumulative and give -2?

3. If losing CC unit rolls an adjusted 1 or 2 in a morale check it has to retire at least 1 base depth next turn. Does the winning unit follow up this extra retire the same as when if followed up after winning the combat?

Thanks, Norman

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
Re: Bull Run to Gettysburg rules queries
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
1. Yes ~ that's an editorial oversight I guess.
2. Yes or No, I guess you can please yourself how you interpret that one. We
    always look at the last action in the movement phase here in GHQ.
3. No. But if you all wanted too it really would n't matter in the great scheme of
    things.

I hope you don't find my approach too loose and free, but I've always felt free to develop any rules I've bought and played down the years, so you should feel free to do the same with mine if that's how you feel the game will play.
Have fun in your upcoming game of BR2G.
 David Bickley
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick response and the clarifications David. I'm just trying to avoid my usual debut with new rules where I spend more time looking up rules than actually playing the game.

I don't mind your approach at all and I've house-ruled rulesets myself in the past, but I do like to give them a go as the author intended at least once if I can! The 2 battle reports on this forum and the fact that the game would play on a 6x4 table were what sold me on them, and a couple of read-throughs makes me think I'm going to like them.

So, hopefully a battle report and some pictures to follow....

Cheers

Norman

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Happy to oblige, Norman!
Enjoy your games!
David

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
Hello again David.  :)

After a very enjoyable 1st game (report on my blog soon), a few questions about Generals & Sharpshooters if that's OK

1. Generals & Sharpshooters have 4 hits in close combat - how are hits divided between them and the unit they are attached to?

2. Do Generals & Sharpshooters provide an extra dice in CC when they have evaded and joined a unit?

3. After how many hits do Sharpshooter bases become less effective, if at all (fire every other turn like artillery after 2 hits for example)?

Thanks again,

Norman

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
Hello again David.  :)

After a very enjoyable 1st game (report on my blog soon), a few questions about Generals & Sharpshooters if that's OK

1. Generals & Sharpshooters have 4 hits in close combat - how are hits divided between them and the unit they are attached to?

2. Do Generals & Sharpshooters provide an extra dice in CC when they have evaded and joined a unit?

3. After how many hits do Sharpshooter bases become less effective, if at all (fire every other turn like artillery after 2 hits for example)?

Thanks again,

Norman

Dave is away at the moment, I will answer on his behalf

1. This is entirely up to you, we usually dice with a score of 6 causing one of the casualties to be on the attached base.
2. Yes.
3. We don't make them less effective, but if you want to treat them like artillery thats a fine way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Phil
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:06:32 AM by Phil Robinson »

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
That's brilliant Phil, thanks.

Cheers

Norman