Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 753
Total: 758

Recent

Author Topic: Retro British Post Apocalypse  (Read 4695 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Retro British Post Apocalypse
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:41 AM »
Something I've been working on on-and-off for a while now:
We all knew that an apocalypse was possible. We all knew how it would happen, and we were as prepared as we could be. Except we were all wrong. The apocalypse did come - but not how we expected. It wasn't a nuclear exchange between NATO and the USSR, but something quite unexpected. In the early winter of 1979 a large meteorite shower passed through the solar system, and made very pretty shooting stars as they burned up on the atmosphere. No one thought anything more of it, until a year or two later when strange things began to occur: virulent new diseases, rumours of new species of strange looking plants rumors, and bizarre new creatures. The news papers blamed it all on the soviets, and they blamed it all on us. But it was that meteorite shower that was really to blame - it had deposited millions of alien spores into our atmosphere, and sealed our fate.... although we didn't know that until much later.

By 1981 the world was a mess - the number of spores still in the atmosphere had changed the climate slighty, making the world a might colder; grass and feed stuffs were dieing from an alien virus and food shortages had begun to really kick in. Then the balance was tipped by a new virus - no one knew where it started, and it was a world wide pandemic within 2 weeks. Fatality rates were astronomically high. In an attempt to control the spread, nuclear and chemical weapons were used by governments to try and cull the most effected regions - Manchester was VX gased, Birmingham targeted by nuclear weapons. 'Surgical' strikes weren't just limited to their own countries, but war never fully developped - there was no longer the man power left to instigate it. The world settled into silence, and the alien's foot hold grew.

It's now 1983, and mankind still survives. Just. The global population of close to 5 billion has been cut down to a fraction of it's former number. Society has been plunged back into a new dark age, with people fighting for the few remaining patches of fertile land and resources, whilst evading the twisted monstrosities which lurk in the dark places of the world.

Military Remnants – Towards the end, lots of military units stopped receiving or following their original orders, instead trying to do the best they could with what they had. Keeping themselves very much to themselves, they made sure that they would survive. Now that the worst is over (or only just beginning, depending on your point of view), these groups are powers to be reckoned with. They have the equipment and training to be major players – and what they may lack in man power they more than make up for in fire power. Seldom are they found growing crops or trying to rebuild industry, instead using their skill at arms to buy (as caravan guards or mercenaries) or take (as raiders) what they want. Occasionally American accents are encountered amongst these groups, usually from guards from one of the various American air bases or other military installations that were based in the UK before the end.

Warlords - The direct opposite of the military remnants in many ways, Rather than turning inwards some military forces turned outwards. In many cases, they joined together with local communities to form societies reminiscent of parts of the dark ages. Typically governed by a military officer, assisted by a civillain council of elders, the ex-soldiers provide a warband to keep the rest of the community safe, whilst the civilians farm and work to provide feed for the soldiers and themselves over the winter.

Raider Gangs - They say that the meek will inherit the earth… it’s just a pity that a bunch of yobs have enough of an attitude to take what they want off the meek. Although they started off as street gangs (Punks, Skins, etc), holding on and looking out for each other after they end, recently they have often taken to raiding outside their ‘turf’ to gain the provisions they need to survive.

Survivors - Not everyone who survived had special skills. They aren't all ex-soldiers or street thugs, hardened scavenegers or die-hard rebuilders. There are lots of normal people, who some how maange to get by by doing a bit of farming here, a bit of scavenging there, maybe the odd minor raid. The only remarkable thing about these sort of groups (and there are a fair few of them) is that they survived at all.

All very much on a slow burner. These factions will increase and diversify as I get around to doing them. There's a large thread over at the Post Apoc Wargames Forum charting my progress thus far, including earlier fluff:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Wargames/topic/2713006/1/
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Retro British Post Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »
Very interesting idea.
Went over to the zetaboards and looked at the posts.
Look forward to see where you go with this.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
British Post Apocalypse... so, it's basically Hull after a Friday night. Only lacking the style and fashion sense associated with "Retro British".  lol

Just kidding. That does sound quite promising, and I think you hit that special "tone" I (as a German) would associate with British Scifi from the late 1970s and early 80s. A very nice collection of survivors - really nudges me to revitalise my "Invasion!" sub-project with some British Resistance troops.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
Thanks chaps :)

I'll make sure to keep posting any progress. As for 'Ull after a bad friday night, you're not too far wrong at times! Defintely trying to keep the feel of "Day of the Triffids" & "The Furies" alive within the project

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
Looks great, also on that theme is Quatermass TV series with John Mills.

This looks a great project and some nice figures mixed in there

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
Thanks - heard of Quatermass, although I've not seen it. I'll add that to my wishlist (along with the original Survivors TV seres, and The War Game)

One major source of insperation which I forgot to mention in my previous post was 'No Blade of Grass'. 'Threads' & 'Reign of Fire' had quite a significant impact on some of the visual asthetics.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
I thought I'd pop up a few pictures of the current factions, as they stand following my latest painting/flocking marathon:

Sea wolves (sea-borne raiders)

Children of the new earth (Pro-mutant cultists)

Brotherhood of the Empty cross (Pseudo Chrisitan traditionalist cultists)

Defence Volunteers (Settlement defence militia)

Bedminster Wheelers (City based Roller-blade gangers)

Spore bore (mutants and the like)

Dunster-force Militia (Warlord force)

Bovver Boys (City based gangers and raiders)

Hooligans (Raiders)

Masked Thugs (Raiders)

Winscombe Protectorate (Warlord forces)

Survivors (Generic scavengers, survivors and citizens)

Trader guards

South Somerset Autonamous Region (Fragments of government/enclave)

TURNSTILE defence force (Enclave)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
God Save Mrs Ethel Stroke

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:37:35 AM »