Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 836
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Adventure and Historian Movies for Back Of Beyond  (Read 6399 times)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Adventure and Historian Movies for Back Of Beyond
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
Reilly, Ace of Spies is much better after you have read a bit of Russian Revolution history so you can understand who is who.  Also a great Uniform guide as the BBC costume dept tends to go way out of its way to get things "right"
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 03:03:07 AM »
I recently watched "At Home Among Strangers", a 1974 Russian film directed by Nikita Mikhalkov and starring Anatoly Solonitsyn.  It's set just after the Russian Civil War and the plot centers around a plot to steal a gold shipment being sent by train.  While not strictly "Back of Beyond", it's close, and the action would translate well to the kind of .45 Adventures scenes that we like to game.  I highly recommend it.  It's a great movie, worth buying instead of just renting if you are really interested in Russia or like "westerns".

Here's the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Home_Among_Strangers

It's available from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Among-Strangers-Stranger-His/dp/B00006674P
Sailors have more fun!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 10:29:21 AM »
White Sun of The Desert is indeed a very good film but there are several others that might be interesting for the BOBers.

The only thing I couldn't stand was that the Russian Colonel had the same name as my favourite SF character. Vereshagin- the 'Variag'- out of Robert Frezza's, A Small Colonial War. Even if you're not into SF, do yourself a favour and  read this novel and the sequel, Fire In A Farway Place.

Quiet Flows The Don is one of the better ones and it is available with English subtitles. Recommended.

Red and White is somewhat slower but still some very good- Red versus White and Green- action scenes and ready made scenarios. Again with English subtitles

Gold River is hard to find (I have a French  copy) but well worth looking for.  Some really great action scenes and very unusual warriors.

There's also a film about a young Mongolian boy who, inspired by his idol Genghis Khan, decides to join a band of roving, well Mongolian warriors/bandits. Not sure of the title but I believe it has 'Genghis Khan' in it.

Another Russian film is about a group of Naval soldiers defending a city (Kronstadt?) against anything the Whites can come up with. Don't have a copy anymore but I remember it as a very good action movie. Possibly only on video.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done