Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Djinns and Efreets for Arab or Turkish Victorian fantasy armies?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
IMHO, clunky steam-robots and tanks studded with rivets just don't seem to do it for Middle Eastern armies.  They need something magical.  Djinni and Afrits are perfect for this.

However, if we are to have any verisimilitude, would a good Muslim have anything to do with such wicked spirits?

I think the answer is yes, as, in Islamic legend, Suleiman bin Daoud (Solomon Son of David) was a powerful sorcerer, who commanded a large number of such beings, and, according to Kipling, possessed a ring that allowed him to summon them, as well as an angel named Azrael.

So, would the Sultan hesitate to use such a device?

Anyway, I bought these D&D minis:

and am pretty pleased.  The djinn, definitely is not done justice by this photo, as his lower half is a translucent smoky column.  Both are very big, the efreet stands about 57mm from top of base to top of head, and the djinn 67mm.

http://www.elogroalegre.dreamhosters.com/images/lom_efreet_fireblade.jpg

http://bidwicket.com/Item/C/Collectible_Games/Dungeons_and_Dragons_Miniatures/Singles/Legendary_Evils/66138_1M_Djinn_Stormsword.JPEG

Their size is accentuated, in my case, by the fact that these are supposed to be 25mm scale minis, but my army is 15mm scale.  However, this is common for me when I want to represent a really big monster, and these guys will, after all, be going up against Victorian land leviathans and coal powered walker robots.

Of course, for all their power, the Sultan/Caliph/Emir wearing Suleiman's ring better not kiss the sand.  If he does, those genies are going to want some payback...

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
Re: Djinns and Efreets for Arab or Turkish Victorian fantasy armies?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
Hat Guy has a good turk/muslim army coming along.

Check out pictures on the earlier "Raid on Beni Saf" posting.

Cheers
Fuzzy.
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
Hat Guy has a good turk/muslim army coming along.

Check out pictures on the earlier "Raid on Beni Saf" posting.

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Thanks!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
I'd never have thought of same, though magical/mystical in VSF usually has to be a surprise, towards the end of battle, kind of thing.

Doesn't feel right as part of the party that shows up at the first. I'd probably go with a armored dune dewback/squiggoth. The kind of thing I-Kore used to have, though I've not checked the new supplier.

Just my gut reaction.

That said, lovely kind of surprise, I'd think.  :D

Doug

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
I'd never have thought of same, though magical/mystical in VSF usually has to be a surprise, towards the end of battle, kind of thing.

Doesn't feel right as part of the party that shows up at the first. I'd probably go with a armored dune dewback/squiggoth. The kind of thing I-Kore used to have, though I've not checked the new supplier.

Just my gut reaction.

That said, lovely kind of surprise, I'd think.  :D

Doug

Thanks.  Here's hoping it will be.  ;)

This seems to go back to the old argument about whether fantasy belongs in VSF as much as science fiction does.

The best argument yet for that has been that the two are pretty much indistinguishable, at least from the modern viewpoint.  Is there really any difference between a Turkish vizier with a magic ring summoning a djinn, and a Martian in a tripod with a death ray and poison gas projector?  Both are equally unlikely and fantastic.

Also, it seems like Victorian SF should include both sci fi and fantasy, as both were equal parts of the Victorian experience.  Remember that this was not only the age of cold, hard science.  It was also the age of the seance', various mystical secret societies, and Arthur Conan Doyle trying to photograph fairies in his back yard.

In addition, giving magic (which they firmly believed in) to less technological cultures, such as Arab genies and African witch doctors, gives them some ability to take on those stuffy British and Germans with their airships and land leviathans.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:26:17 PM by gloriousbattle »

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:36:38 AM »
I totally agree that magic or mysticism can be part of the VSF world.
For my mind, if its in 19th century literature then its fair play.

I guess the trick is establishing the right balance. You don't want the magic or steam technology etc. dominating the game.

There should still be opportunities for "a bayonet with some guts behind it"  :)

Cheers
Fuzzy.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:46 AM »
I don't see why not! Flying carpets would be awesome.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
I used the GW Lord of the Rings Hadard infantry for my Djinn. The figures have a "Persian" look about them.

I'm working on Gyro Carpets for the army, but there's always something else to do first.