Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First look at the new Conan.  (Read 12296 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: First look at the new Conan.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
Well, I liked it  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
I saw it the other day, in 2D, and I think it was a pretty ok movie. The trailer told me nothing about it and I was afraid it would be just constant fights with no story to tell, so I was pleasently surprised to see that it was a well done movie with ok storyline and characters.

It is not the best movie I ever saw and I prefer the old Conan movie, if I had to choose, but I don't think the old and new movie is about the same person, it is just the name in common.

Also I might be a bit biased as I am a collector of old Barbarian movies, so I might find these types of film more entertaining than most.

All in all it is one of the better barbarian movies out there and I think you can watch it if you try not to compare it to the books or the old movies.

Now I just wait for the new Red Sonja movie to be finished  :D I hope we see a new wave of barbarian movies to emerge.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
I saw it too. To me the movie was an insult to Robert E Howard.

SPOILER do not read on if you wanna see the movie.

Another boring - revenge my family - story. Too plain for my taste. They created another version of Conans bio thats got noting to do with Howards Conan bio.

Conans smokey eyes look was terrible...

The fights reminded me of Honk Kong sword movie art. You had no hacking and slaying like in the stories where you have the feeling the characters fight for their life...Conan held his sword like a samurai... That already disturbed me in the Arnie movie.

Boring actors. The evil guys are cliche of the typical villain. Nothing special.

Cimmerian cavalry ? Hello ???

The meaning of steal...as if this is the main point of a Conan story.

Conans sword-his fathers sword...bla bla bla... Does anybody know here how many swords Conan uses ?  He uses what he can get a grip on. Broadsword, scimitar, Ilbarsi knife, knife, short sword axe and so on...

and so on...

The director and script writer failed terrible !

The movie gets a 2 out of 10 and I dont wanna watch another Conan movie as long nobody does it right. At least as right as Jackson did with The Lord Of The Rings...
, ,

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
A load of Effing crap, and you can quote me on that! :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I think the point is, to try and watch it as just an action barbarian movie. Conan in this movie is not the Howard Conan and should have had another name, but I guess not many would have seen the movie if it was called Krung The barbarian (or whatever).

I would love to see a real Conan movie, based on the novels, but I don't see that ever happen, so I take what I can get and stays overbearing as long as I can get a fix of new barbarian movies.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
It's all moot where I live as the local 10-screen cinema is no longer showing it. I was planning to go tomorrow, but...

I guess the audience figures were pretty bad, as I was quite surprised to see that it had disappeared already.

By the sounds of it, I might have saved myself some cash better spent elsewhere.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2011, 02:16:17 AM »
I might see it when it hits DVD, but the trailer didn't do a good job of making me want to see it.

I don't really mind that it's not RH's Conan. I've read some of the stories: they were fun, and I can certainly see how they would make a good movie series as-is, but I'm not hardcore fan enough to mind if the movie takes liberties. As long as it's a good movie in it's own right.

I don't mind that it's not Arnold. The first Arnold movie is a guilty pleasure- not great, but fun, and I genuinely enjoy how it attempts to capture the feel of Frazetta-era fantasy art. But I am a huge proponent of variety. Many different versions means people have a better chance of seeing their own interpretations realized. To insist that there must be only one Conan/Batman/Bond/whatever and all others are heresies to be burned seems rather parochial and ultimately more degenerative than protective to me.

I don't mind that it's in 3D. I can definitely see the real didactic/compositional potential in 3D, in much the same way that color added such back in the day. But just like with the first decade or so of color films, I can also see why a lot of people both in the audience and the industry don't have the background to see how that would work, and/or would get frustrated with the fact that it didn't just spring forth from the earth fully formed. These are the growing pains years, where audiences will bitch about it for being flawed and shallow, and it genuinely will be flawed and shallow enough to bitch about. That's just the price one must pay today for greater awesomeness tomorrow, so instead of hating, I will shrug and wait it out.

The trailer just didn't make it look like a good movie. Too much bad editing, trying-way-too-hard cliches, and bad cg background matting (seriously, why has it become so trendy lately to make fantasy scenery look like a rubbish rear screen projection job?). Looked way more like a shameless fast buck than an honest attempt to make a movie.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:19:27 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »
CROM! 

The start was promising until they reset the Conan timeline with the downfall of Acheron.

Perhaps it's a little beardy but Acheron was destroyed a long time before Conan was born, so how did his father get to participate in its downfall?

Cimmerian cavalry ? Hello ???

And I thought it was just me.  :)

A quick and totally irrelevant reference to Tower of the Elephant mid-movie .... a by now wasted nod to the Conan fanbase.

The bad-guys were just muscle for "Conan" to cut through and Khalar Zym lacked the depth to make him truely memorable.

I did however like the sandmen as an idea but thought that the "watcher in the water" was done better in LOTR.

At best a lackluster action movie.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I thought it was ok. The main thing it lacked was a decent soundtrack. Some memorable music would have elevated it quite nicely.

I was a fan of the original Conan movie from the first time I saw it in the cinema but I was one of only a few. People forget how the original movie was initially received, which wasn't well at all, most if not all the critics and fans slammed it with comments very similar to what I'm hearing today about the new film. 'It's not Conan' was a favourite that I agreed with but was not a deal breaker for liking the film.

The makers of this new film are moaning that box office returns aren't high enough for it to start a continuing franchise for them but this is entirely their own fault for making an ok movie rather than a good one. Regardless, in a few years it might grow on people and a sequel could appear based on good dvd sales. It's never going to be great but so long as it's watchable I'll be happy enough I guess.

Maybe they'll remake Hawk the Slayer...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »
It was not just you Whisky  :)
I didnt catch the Acheron thing.

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming