Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:59:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question in regard to terrain building and basing it on maps  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Kane

• Scientist
Question in regard to terrain building and basing it on maps
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've just recently started WW II gaming (US Airborne) and I intend to build a whole heap of scenery for my own battles. I just wanted to know if you guys have any decent links with how-to's and examples? The intention is to work with 12" by 12" tiles which should be completely modular/adaptable.

I have found a couple of very helpful movies on youtube from Shawn Morris (the guy's a friggin' genius!). They are for flames of war, but the basics are very usable. Apart from that I have also found the website from Elladan (another genius!).

Coming along with the above the following question: Does anybody know good websites where I can find aerial photos which are clear enough or rough maps as they appear in e.g. flames of war? I have some in my DH books, but that's not much. And concerning google maps or google earth... those are sadly enough pictures of nowadays so...

Any advice, tips and tricks would be very, very appreciated!
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Jim French

• Librarian
Re: Question in regard to terrain building and basing it on maps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Kane,
We have used Google Maps a couple of times, once in a modern Afghan game, and once in a NWE game in the bocage.  The area hasn't changed all that much.  And it does give you a pretty good idea of the canalization you can expect in the hedgerows.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
I have some friends that play FoW and they use google maps for the Normady layout of their gaming tables. It work really great as far as I know, and they seem very happy and satisfied with it.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
Alright, thanks for the tips guys. Good to hear that google maps does work. Guess I saw the wrong part of France then ;-)