Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Camels, Lances, and a Rolls Royce  (Read 4931 times)

Offline drferling

• Bookworm
    • http://painting.jaylaura.com/
Camels, Lances, and a Rolls Royce
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
A friend grabbed a copy for me at Fall-In and I finally had a chance to sit down and read it through.

The first scenario I want to run is a White Russian Assault on a British Column.  The whites desperately need an Indian Mountain gun that the Brits are moving up, via donkey from the coast.

I have a six strong unit of Cossack Lancers mounted on camels (doing the conversions / painting now) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to handle camels or the lances.

Here were my initial thoughts.  

I am inclined to have the camels act as horses, but also cause any "foreign" horses within 12" to gain a suppression point.  I have read that horses dislike camels greatly.

Lances could be counted as spears but with a plus 2 to the skill test instead of the plus one or the charging unit could gain one extra attack dice for every 3 chargers (as long as they all have lances) instead of the normal one extra dice.  

Thanks!
Jay

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:18:14 PM »
Thatīs the spirit!

Itīs excellent that youīve thought about how to best adapt the rules to your needs. And that "horses dislike camels" is perfectly pulpy.

For the lances, I guess it depends on which aspect you wish to stress - Iīd go with the charge advantage. Those extra attack dice depending on unit strength sound good and not too unbalanced. Best to have it as uncomplicated as possible, although a +2 attack roll bonus in the first round of combat sounds good as well.

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:39:49 PM »
And that "horses dislike camels" is perfectly pulpy.

Medieval II (the PC game) handles this the same way, IIRC, i. e. camels scare horses. There might be something more to it than Pulp. Biologically correct or not, it should make an interesting twist in the game.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »
No, I didnīt want to say itīs unhistorical - I once asked a biologist friend of mine after I read on it the first time, and she confirmed that apparently the body odour of camels is terrifying to horses.

But you know, itīs just the type of thing to add "an unexpected twist" to an adventure movie, if you catch my drift.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
Camels cause fear to horses in Warhammer Ancients, too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Camels cause fear to horses in Warhammer Ancients, too.

The last camel I saw had teeth big enough to cause fear in me, that's what I know. And my wife is a dentist too....

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
Most horses don't like the smell of camels, elephants, or pigs, unless/until they get used to them. Won't necessarily scare them, but will make them very difficult to control.
Something genetic I presume. Apparently mice have a gene that makes them scared of the smell of cats, but scientists (in Japan ?) have found which gene it is and managed to breed a batch of mice that are not scared by the smell of cats, although they are still scared when the cats miaow.

Quite a few horses are easily scared by strange noises too.
Such as sudden appearance of low flying aircraft, hot air balloons can often spook horses too. Rockets (firework or Congreeve) are usually quite good for spooking horses. But on the other hand, quite a few horses like music, including bagpipes, so it's not just any loud noise.
(We had a mare that loved music, even fairground organs)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
Air horns, too. I've seen an air horn let off behind a police horse at a football match.

The horse danced all the way up the street, sideways.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 07:41:15 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Air horns, too. I've seen an air horn let off behind a police horse at a football match.

The horse danced all the way up the street, sideways.

Poor creature. I hope it let fly a healthy helping of horse dung at the perpetrator.