Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 473
Total: 479

Recent

Author Topic: Russian Civil War and a surfeit of turrets  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Russian Civil War and a surfeit of turrets
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
Hi all,
free ideas (which are probably not new at all, but - just in case) arising from my development of my rather particular Russian forces. I had bought a set of T-26 turrets for converting 1/35 scale models some time back, and was wondering how to use them. Now the T-26 is too modern for this period (wrong CW - Spain would have been ok), but the turrets do not have a modern appearance. How to use them? Well, I don't have the bits for these, or the historical background, but:
1 - mounted on rolling stock as part of a military train.
2 - mounted on WW I tanks which could have ended up in Russia - Osprey have 2 books on the topic, no less.
3 - mounted on a truck or armoured car
4 - mounted on land as a strongpoint, or in the walls of a fortress
5 - mounted on a walker half way between VSF and WWWII
6 - mounted on a howdah on the back of a huge beastie
7 - mounted on some sort of riverine craft.

(4) is an easy way out, lthough I must admit I'm tempted by (6). Anyway - up for grabs,and any other suggestions are welcome.

PS - oooh, thought of a good one, which I'm not giving away yet....  :lipps:  :mrgreen:

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
I´d go for the armoured train. Simply because I LOVE armoured trains, and why not have a jury-rigged one.

Or a river gunboat. The one by BAM(?) with the T-34 turrets is luvverly.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »
I'd agree - trouble is I have a lack of railway bits for the the correct scale - and a low budget too (the old car is dying out on me). So a naval sort of development might be in the pipeline. Other than the yet-to-be-revealed 'Plan 8'.
Would the Russians be using green in the Civil War? And would that apply to both Red and White factions?

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
I would opt for a train or a boat.
Trains aren't too bad in 28mm if you have a cheap toystore nearby that sells the "economy battery powered train with oval of track" that seems to appear every Christmas. In the UK they are about £10 a set. Appalling looking trains, but they paint up ok and cannibalise easily.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:11:45 PM »
Quote from: "fastolfrus"
I would opt for a train or a boat.
Trains aren't too bad in 28mm if you have a cheap toystore nearby that sells the "economy battery powered train with oval of track" that seems to appear every Christmas. In the UK they are about £10 a set. Appalling looking trains, but they paint up ok and cannibalise easily.

Ummm - good point, that.
Decisions - I've (since posting) used one and have found a use of the second. The set, by the way, includes 3 turrets and a few other bits for conversions of T-26 variants, and is manufactured by the Polish company RPM. Nice, if a bit fragile and fiddly.
Therefore, I have to decide on the 3rd and last. Hmmm - armoured wagon transported on a boat?  :roll:

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:16:47 AM »
Get an old style GW 40k tank [or two] from EBay or suchlike & use a few turrets to convert it to a VSF super-tank.

I've got a couple of Russian 1/35 interwar tanks [ I think T26] which I'm dreaming of converting to 28mm super-tanks. Shouldn't be too hard with some  28mm naval hatches, doorways & other accessories.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"
Get an old style GW 40k tank [or two] from EBay or suchlike & use a few turrets to convert it to a VSF super-tank.

I've got a couple of Russian 1/35 interwar tanks [ I think T26] which I'm dreaming of converting to 28mm super-tanks. Shouldn't be too hard with some  28mm naval hatches, doorways & other accessories.

And I DO have an old Leman Russ.... sigh - too many good ideas. Thanks GM.

On this line of thought: what would be the more-or-less correct colours for a White Russian tank? Some sort of green, I'd guess, and probably not the familiar tractor green.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:50:52 AM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

Why not just try to find a model of a Russian T35.  That really is a huge historical "supertank" with five turrets!
Sailors have more fun!