Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:37:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Andrew's Armies  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Andrew's Armies
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
Well....
Yesterday I sorted and tidied my entire collection/leadpile! Inspired by a few thread here esp Pil's undead horde, I've become motivated to make more progress with my fantasy armies.

Now the odd thing is that I'm in the strange position of having only gotten back into minis for the last couple of years after taking time out while I was "growing up"..... Of course now I realise that I had things right all along!  :D The point is that I'm sort of working with a blank slate so everything here is either from my boyhood leadpile of purchased in the last couple of years.

I started off wanting to make lots of themed warbands but as you probably know, it's hard to restrict yourself when you know how nice a regiment would look.....and how an army would be even better! So I've gotten a little out of control and it's time to reign myself in a bit and what better way than to document it. If people are watching then I'd better behave myself!

First up is my "main army"

Goblins and Orcs, mainly vintage Citadel, with some Vendel, Otherworld, Westwind, Troll Forged, Gamezone, Red Box Games, etc (to tell you what's in the bags)
Sharp eyed Bazaar traders might spot some of my purchases in there!  ;)

Next up is my army of "savages"

This will be a ragtag of ogres, "greenskins", beastmen and other feral fellows.
So far there are a lot of Otherworld ogres, vintage Citadel again, Privateer Press, Red Box Games and a couple of lovely figs from Guild of Harmony.

Next come the Undead

These are a tricky bunch to sort thematically. I've a feeling that it will be split into two or three different themed detachments, mainly defined by the colours that I want to use rather than anything else! There's a real mixture of manufactures here including GW old and new, old Pal Partha, Wyrd, Darkage, Black Hat,Troll Forged, Red Box Games, Otherworld and Heresy.

Here we have a few groups that might not ever form large armies, they'll be bigger than warbands but I shouldn't think they'll ever be hordes.

This is the Lizard Tribe. The humans are converted Kushites from my brother (Immortal minis) the rest are all Otherworld trogs. We'll see where I go with this lot.  :?

This is the Serpent Cult. Goblins from 4A mins and Lizardmen by Otherworld, flanked by an OP GW "salamander" and a pair of giant snakes also from OW (in the blister)

Lastly Here is the smallest collection but the most likely to graduate into a full fledged army. It's supposed to be a force inspired by Saxon/Pictish history supported by their mythical races. So far we have some Vendel goblins painted, lots of heroes by Red Box Games in the bags plus some vintage and historical figures. There will be plenty of Vendel,Tenatus and more to come for these.

The main motivator for the actual collection is aesthetics really, I'm not looking to cater to a rule set or anything. Just trying to collect some nice looking armies with minis from as many manufacturers as possible!!!

Now back to the sculpting and painting I suppose!
Hope you enjoyed looking at the collection. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:12:52 AM by Andrew May »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Andrew's Armies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
Nice idea, Andrew.

Posting on here does help with the discipline side of things.
I have managed to concentrate my time on one project at the moment, Mordheim scenery, instead of flitting around like a butterfly on LSD, going from idea to idea.

It definitely works, otherwise I would have abandoned the scenery ages ago and started on my VSF Japanese, or Confederates, or WSA, or.............you get the point.

Cant wait to see what you do with that mounting lead-pile, in particular your saxon/pictish project.
I do like your style of painting and think this will blend very well with that project especially.

Keep up the good work.
Cant wait to see more!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
OOOH! ALL THE COOL PRETTIES...painted & otherwise! I agree wit Mason...Great Minds & all that...posting your creations as you go along is a FINE way to stay focused; PLUS all the positive feedback is a TREMENDOUS motivator.

I, for one, will follow your epic undertaking with keen interest. HAVE FUN WITH THE BEASTY!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
Excellent! I will follow this with interest. However, I doubt if starting a plog about six different projects at once will help you stay focused  :D

Seriously, the log style doesn't really work for me personally because I always postpone taking pictures. I do love reading them though!  8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:03:18 PM »
This'll be good to watch. Since we're starting at roughly the same time it'll be interesting to see each others progress. Are you focusing on one part first or taking it as fancy takes you?
Duncan

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
I like to jump between them tbh as I get bored of painting the same colour scheme over and over.....luckily I don't play Naps then really! The plan is to try to paint what I have and then build regiments.

That's the plan anyway!