Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2 Questions:Fast Movement, Visibility Inside Woods  (Read 2032 times)

Offline MarkSieber

• Schoolboy
2 Questions:Fast Movement, Visibility Inside Woods
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
We've recently picked up the rules and played a couple of games--very well done, they play simply and the sequence does away with opportunity fire and other sequencing issues when playing with a lot of players.

Two questions:

1. The rules state that a fast moving unit must move the full distance rolled, but the orders card says up to 6 plus 2d6. Is it as written in the rules, and if so, do most people play it this way?

2. How far is visibility inside woods? I Think I understand from an earlier posting that there is no looking out unless on the edge and that woods block LOS viewed from outside.

Thanks!

Mark

(I just ordered both supplements, so have not had a chance to see if the answers are covered.)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 2 Questions:Fast Movement, Visibility Inside Woods
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
We always go with the "up to" movement. If you want to sprint for cover you usually stop once you reach it.
As to visibility I'd suggest you have at least as much visibility as you can move. So unless the woods are impassible I would use the movement allowance as the visible range. Just an idea but it makes sense to me.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »
Hi Mark, 

thanks for buying and playing the rules.

Fast move :
The "up to" is not as precisely  explained as intended.

If you roll for example a 4 and add 6" you move 10" on your fast move and if you roll a 12 and add 6" you must move  18" . So the up to refers to the dice roll which is variable.
I think we just did a very complicated description on the card. Sorry for that.
So always move the distance you rolled in a straight line. You have to stop at obstacles or the arrival point.
The idea behind the fast move was to move your troops as fast as possible from
A to B.

Woods.
You can always look or shoot into woods no matter how deep you are in the terrain peace. T&T is a skirmish game and a group of trees is not a huge forest its a group of trees. If a unit is on a terrain peace with wood this counts as cover. Either good or very good cover ( -1 or -2 modifier ) Declare this at the beginning of the game.

If you want a terrain peace as thick and nearly impassable wood you can only be seen if you stand at the edge of the terrain peace. You can also only shoot from the edge of the terrain peace. Declare cover modifiers at the beginning of the game.

Sorry that we have not explained the wood and forest rules in the basic T&T rules more clearly. When we play tested we used trees as trees and not thick forest.

Hope that helps and I wish you nice games with the rules.

Cheers
Björn

P.S. For games in jungle for example we ( our gaming group ) declare the whole gaming board as jungle and shooting in this dense tropical forest is always modified with - 1
, ,

Offline MarkSieber

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
Thanks Björn, for the great support of the rules--this clears things up!

Mark