Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ambush Alley's "Tomorrow's War"... Some actual reviews please?!  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Ambush Alley's "Tomorrow's War"... Some actual reviews please?!
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
I keep seeing mentions here and there about Ambush Alley's "Tomorrow's War" ruleset, and it seems to have some people quite excited...

However, the reviews I've seen tell me almost nothing!  o_o

I haven't played any Force On Force games, and really don't have any idea about anything to do with Tomorrow's War, but I gather it is a generic ruleset that is near-future / 'hard' Sci-Fi. That being the case, it has intrigued me, and I'd love to hear more about what the game actually is.

So, can anyone who's played it /owns the book tell me a bit more about it please? What's the book like? What are the basic rules mechanics? Could you give me a quick rundown of how a model/squad would behave in a typical turn? Are the rules well explained? Is there an index? What forces/technology are catered for? Are there any army lists, or force builders? Is there much weapon / equipment variety? Are there many scenarios? How much terrain is required to play? ...And finally, is it any fun and is there anything else that might be worth mentioning?

Thanks in advance for your help!  :D

Offline Allen

• Student
Re: Ambush Alley's "Tomorrow's War"... Some actual reviews please?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
This fellow is just starting a multi part review.

http://steelcitywargaming.blogspot.com/2011/09/tomorrows-war-today.html

May be worth keeping watch on it.

Al

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
Not reviews, but a free version of Force on Force (which Tomorrow's War shares mechanisms with) and a write up of a turn of play so you can see for your self what it is like (minus the sci fi elements).   If you don't like the mechanisms you probably will not like Tomorrow's War.

Personally I do like them.  I've also done playtesting and some other writing for Ambush Alley Games though.

Jake

http://ambushalleygames.com/images/pdfs/fof_qs_rules.pdf

http://ambushalleygames.com/images/pdfs/one%20turn%20walk%20through.pdf
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
Some quick bits on Tomorrow's War:

• Individually-based (although you can use fire team bases if you track casualties
  • Alternating activation with the "Aggressive" player moving/firing and the "Defending" player using interrupt fire and movement - NOT IGO/UGO
  • Easy for a player to control platoon-sized forces, gets a little messy with larger forces (all the interrupt activations)
  • Rules for different tech level diffs in troops, vehicles, off-board artillery, comms (and comms failures), creating alien races, etc
  • Random event cards for all kinds of mischief
  • Good tactical game that rewards suppression, fire & movement tactics, etc
  • Lots of room to create your own race/armies/whatever (near future, "Aliens", whatever) and still feel "realistic"

Offline Ambush Alley Games

• Schoolboy
  • Peace through Superior Die Rolls!
    • Ambush Alley Games
Shawn Carpenter
Director, Ambush Alley Games

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:59:27 PM »
Thank you all for the links; I think Mark Gipson's "Walworth County Wargamer" ended up being very helpful when read against the backdrop of the other reviews which went into the details more.

I'd love to hear more from people who've played the game, and see what their thoughts are in regards to how easy the game is to get into (not so much rules-wise, but in terms of terrain/scenario/model requirements).

I'd also be most likely to play with 28mm scale figures, and would have around 4' x 4' tables; would this cause many problems with the game balance / rules?

Finally, I note that the emphasis is on scenarios, and that these give you fixed resources for each side. Is there any provision for more open / general scenarios that players can bring their own forces to? Also, is there any provision for anything like 'army lists' or points values for the various troops and equipment options?

I ask that last part as I'd like to just bring a list to a table and play a game without having to design a scenarios and test it out for balance first. My gaming time and opportunities are limited, and I'd rather grab a force and just get stuck into the game itself than have to pre-determine and plan everything ahead of schedule.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
I bought it at the weekened from Derby my only disapointment is no QRS table sheet the tables are there in the book but no on one page for referance????

Looks lovley and well put together...

Tony

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
I bought it at the weekened from Derby my only disapointment is no QRS table sheet the tables are there in the book but no on one page for referance????

Looks lovley and well put together...

Tony

True !
A good QRS would definitly be welcome.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
...Dare I ask; is there that much stuff that really needs a QRS? Because if there is, that's a pretty big oversight. Otherwise, I can live without / make my own.

Offline Ambush Alley Games

• Schoolboy
  • Peace through Superior Die Rolls!
    • Ambush Alley Games
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »
On the QRS: We didn't include a QRS in the book because we're offering a downloadable QRS on our website. Once folks have played the game a few times the only tables they generally need to consult are the Vehicle Damage Table and the First Aid Table. Actually, if you have a memory better than mine (as 98.5% of the human population and a large percentage of the chimp population does), you memorize the First Aid Table pretty quickly, too. ;)

On Army Lists/Points Lists: TW is primarily a scenario based game, but we are working on a rough point system for just the reasons you stated, Major Gilbear. It too will be available on our website soon.

I'm glad you found the links useful!

Shawn.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
(We didn't include a QRS in the book because we're offering a downloadable QRS on our website) ??????? ok where is this please???

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »
(We didn't include a QRS in the book because we're offering a downloadable QRS on our website) ??????? ok where is this please???

http://ambushalleygames.com/resources/downloads/30-playing-aids

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »

On Army Lists/Points Lists: TW is primarily a scenario based game, but we are working on a rough point system for just the reasons you stated, Major Gilbear. It too will be available on our website soon.

Shawn.

That makes me interested.  I've been working on my own game with a points system to use all our 28mm figs with.  But if you guys are doing a points system that saves me a lot of time!

The reason we NEED a point system is because we are running a space campaign where armies are abstracted on the campaign map, but have a relative strength.  When combat occurs players have to make a forces with the same relative strength to fight each other - it doesn't have to be a point system per say, but we need a way to say that Joe's army is approx 50% larger than Larry's army.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
from whom can I buy it as SELWG?
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »
I was fortunate to try out FoF at a participation game over the weekend. If Tomorrow's War is based on the same mechanic, then this is going to be a great set of rules.

In combination with generic miniatures, I think the points system will make it more enticing for Tournament gamers... here's hoping it is something of a "40k killer".