Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Follow along as a Pirate game gets built.  (Read 1950 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Follow along as a Pirate game gets built.
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »
The local club is putting on an Extravaganza game to be featured at a local con - or two - and it is my Pirate Project that got the nod (actually, this is our first club wide project with pretty good buy in so far, lots of people at work painting figures and buildings) and I decided it might be fun to create a blog where interested parties can follow along as we progress towards the Big Day which will be in March of 2012.  The location of the convention will be Sacramento, CA.  The event is called ConQuest Sacramento (I'll go find a link and copy and paste it here later).  For now, here is the link to the blog:

http://carobbeansea.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy following along.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Follow along as a Pirate game gets built.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Here is the link to the convention's website:

http://www.conquestsac.com/

If you dig far enough you might not yet see our game on the schedule.  This is because we are using so many of the available tables that the "powers that be" at the Con are working out how to fit us in.  But we move forward with our project regardless because we do have room to run the game at our club meetings and there is always the bigger cons in the region.  But we really want to showcase our local event.

Enjoy following along if you so desire.

FifteensAway Casting Off

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »
Sounds like a great project!

Plenty of room for piratical action in that scale.

Like the idea of a prize for the best dressed pirate.

You might consider others too, e.g. for the most successful pirate (not sure how to measure that, but options include: most treasure acquired, most ships sunk, most fearsome reputation, gets all the wenches, luckiest pirate at escaping from the jaws of defeat in the nick of time - think Cap'n Jack Sparrow); for the worst pirate - reward a man who is down on his luck; most in theme pirate, e.g. one that talks and acts the most like a pirate of the day, and inspires others to do the same, etc.

Some prizes could be larger, and some smaller, depending upon donations, or your budget for such things.  Heck, even a few fake doubloons, a cardboard ship, a pirate flag, or other items might make the event memorable.  The flags and doubloons can be found on eBay, or at various on-line pirate shops.  Some of the coins are cheap plastic ones that look pretty nice, but others are made of metal, and fairly good replicas from the era, and some are even of that very rare, and much coveted commodity in the Caribbean, chocolate.

I imagine a few retailers or manufacturers might kick in a bit of stuff, if you are willing to give them proper billing for the event/show.  Ones that come to mind are Peter Pig, Sailpower, Thoroughbred, and Old Glory/Blue Moon, etc.

Couldn't view the map on your blog.  I just get a little white box with a red X in it.

Also, you might want to consider changing the font color on the left side of your blog, since the light blue text matches very well with the background sky color.

Looking forward to more info and photos, as the project progresses.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:53:49 PM by Mako »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:32 AM »
Neat!  Good luck.

I also didn't see the map.  But I enjoyed the description.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »
Yeah, sorry about the map problem, I posted it as a JPEG and while I can see it fine apparently no one else can.  I'm a novice at the whole blogging thing so I'm learning as I go along.  If worse comes to worse, I will print out the map at high resolution and photograph it and load it in to the blog - not sure how well that will work.  If anyone has a better idea through their blogpertise, I'd love to hear from them.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
The darker blue text is much better.  I can actually read it now.

Also, the pic works too, and while the initial map image is a bit small, if you click on it, it enlarges nicely so you can see the details.

Offline cneme71

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
Much easier to read now. I look forward to following the progress...
Blackbeard is my co-pilot!