Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tomorrow's war science fiction gaming rules  (Read 2734 times)

Offline frontal assault

• Librarian
Tomorrow's war science fiction gaming rules
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »
I saw an advertisment in the October issue of Wargames Illustrated for a new set of rules for sci-fi wargaming, called Tommorrow's war, complete with a picture of a space-age samurai warrior.  Looks interesting to be sure, but does anyone know anything about it?

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tomorrow's war science fiction gaming rules
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
Maybe you can have a look here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=33418.0

Think there is one more.
Do you have a pic of the Samurai, sounds interesting ;D

Offline Altius

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
I have not yet bought or played Tomorrow's War, but it's part of the Force on Force series, which appeared in my game club a few months ago and seems pretty popular. I have the core rules, and have played a few games of Force on Force. The mechanism is very simple and easy to learn, moves quickly through the turns, but it also seems fairly realistic.

In the combat system, attackers and defenders both roll, with the defenders getting a few bonuses for armor, fortifications and things like that, and the attacker trying to beat his roll. But here's the catch: The dice used are different depending on the training level of the unit. So, for example, highly trained professionals will use D12 for all their rolls, average troops will use D8 or D10, and poorly trained troops might use D6 or even (in extreme situations) the dreaded D4.

In this game, highly-trained commandos (and presumably space aliens with death rays) will dominate the battlefield. Insurgents will have a very tough time (believe me, I'm speaking from experience  :o).

One of the features I liked, was that in a firefight, you don't always know if your guys have been hit or not. If hit, they might be dead, wounded, or it might turn out to be nothing at all. You find out after the shooting is finished. I like the uncertainty of that rule.

the scale is not quite skirmish, although each figure = 1 man. You are actually playing as the squad or team leader, and you're moving your men as a unit.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »
I've played several games set in Vietnam, as the VC, and have yet to do well at all. The dominating firepower and quality of the US troops has had them rolling over the VC in every game I have played.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
PRetty much like in really like, the play favors the team with the most kit and best training. The VC and other insurgents have to really on cunning, ambush and booby traps to beat the regular forces. I have seen the VC win, but it has a lot to do with terrain, timing and  US player really dropping the ball on his rolls  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
Got a copy yesterday for Derby convvention looks  well done but there no QRS sheet at all anywhere in the book? tables yes sheet with  some of it on  i cannot find is ther a downlad or whatever???

Tony

Offline skachman

• Student
  • Still looking for my secret hideout.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
Wasn't able to find a QRS for Tomorrow's War but, I was able to find a QRS for Force on Force at http://ambushalleygames.com/resources/downloads/30-playing-aids