Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:25:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691142
  • Total Topics: 118376
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Scientist (W.I.P.)  (Read 2212 times)

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
Mad Scientist (W.I.P.)
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
I've just quickly painted a Mad Scientist...it's not quite done, I still have to touch up some small things that annoy me since I took these (not so great) pictures...pictures alway show more than you can see in real life. This is the first time I've ever painted a human being and I'm still learning on how to get the skin right, but I'm quite pleased at the moment. I have no idea on how to base this model, I'm thinking of some grass and dirt. So, does anybody have any thoughts on how to make this paintjob a bit better? 

The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Mad Scientist (W.I.P.)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »
For a first time human, you did a fine job.
I might suggest some black lining around the sleeves.
Also maybe more contrast on the kneeling figure.
The Brown and green are to close in color to bring "life" to the figure.
Maybe paint the shirt with stripes.
You did a great job on the scientist's face.
Hopes this helps.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
The black buttons could do with greying down a lot, also a little highlight on the nose and cheekbones would be good. The hair looks grey drybrushed over a black undercoat, so maybe a little grey wash through the hair? Gloves I'd do more clinical/green/blue but that's just personal preference.

Thanks for sharing.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:46:19 PM »
I think you nailed the flesh pretty damn good - even more so for a 1st attempt!

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
Very nice, would go for a lab floor as base think that would make more sence. Been looking around alot at miniatures the past few months in forums and sites and found that grass bases are over used.. even saw this one at foundry that was a guy working with a jackhammer standing on grass.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The black buttons could do with greying down a lot, also a little highlight on the nose and cheekbones would be good. The hair looks grey drybrushed over a black undercoat, so maybe a little grey wash through the hair? Gloves I'd do more clinical/green/blue but that's just personal preference.

Thanks for sharing.

The highlights on the cheekbones and the nose don't really show in this picture (a bit quick and dirty with mediocre lighting). As for the hair, I agree that there''s a bit too much black and I also think a wash of grey might be a good idea. The gloves are almost exactly the color of the ones I use almost daily at work (I work in a lab).

Very nice, would go for a lab floor as base think that would make more sence. Been looking around alot at miniatures the past few months in forums and sites and found that grass bases are over used.. even saw this one at foundry that was a guy working with a jackhammer standing on grass.

A jackhammer on grass??? That's just plain silly. Yeah I'm a bit fed up with all the grassy bases, they blend in with the game board, but they mostly don't add anything to models. I'm already experimenting with greenstuff on how to make a tiled floor with a drain...I'm not good at sculpting, but the tiles are quite easy to do, the drain on the other hand is going to take some practice.

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The highlights on the cheekbones and the nose don't really show in this picture (a bit quick and dirty with mediocre lighting). As for the hair, I agree that there''s a bit too much black and I also think a wash of grey might be a good idea. The gloves are almost exactly the color of the ones I use almost daily at work (I work in a lab).

A jackhammer on grass??? That's just plain silly. Yeah I'm a bit fed up with all the grassy bases, they blend in with the game board, but they mostly don't add anything to models. I'm already experimenting with greenstuff on how to make a tiled floor with a drain...I'm not good at sculpting, but the tiles are quite easy to do, the drain on the other hand is going to take some practice.

Fenris does some very nice resin bases for us that not so good at sculpting.