Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Bull Run to Gettysburg  (Read 4059 times)

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
First game of Bull Run to Gettysburg
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
A solo try-out for the rules.

http://pcjohnstone.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/bull-run-to-gettysburg-24092011-solo/

Thanks to Dave & Phil for the rule clarifications.

Norman
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:55:46 PM by pcjohnstone »

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: First game of Bull Run to Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:58:18 AM »
Those are mighty fine looking armies you have there, nice terrain too. An excellent battle report, how did you find solo play with the rules?

With regard to the unit getting a halt result, they can change formation as long as it does not take them nearer to the enemy, it is in effect a no advance penalty and yes you will find that in time you will know wether to bother adding or subtracting to the dice score when taking tests.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
Very Impressive stuff there Mr Johnstone, I am not a huge fan of the plastic Perry ACW figures, but you have done a tremendous job on them. Nice table as well. It's always good to see this period on wargames forums, and Mr Bickley's rules have given it a well deserved shot in the arm. Bravo sir, always good to meet another member of our small band of ACW afficianadoes. Nice blog too by the way.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
Thanks Phil,

I found the rules fun to play solo - it's just good to be pushing troops around the table again after such a long break! My regular opponent and I can't get together too often, so we tend to try out rulesets solo so as we don't waste a valuable day of gaming playing a turkey. If I were to play BRTG solo on a regular basis, I would probably use the optional chance cards included in the rules to spice it up a bit - in fact, when I do play ACW solo to try out scenarios, I use Piquet Field of Battle which is great for solo play - the command system being card and dice driven adds more than enough randomness (some would say chaos) to spice up solo play.

Thanks for the clarification on changing formation - I'll change my blog report so as I don't forget.

The good news is that I've got a game of BRTG against my friend today, so another report to follow. All we need now is a re-done playsheet - I hear you're working on it  ;)

Cheers

Norman

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Trooper. I really enjoyed the report and pictures of your first go at the rules on the "Other Adventures" board a few weeks ago, and it was Dave's reports and yours which inspired me to give the rules a go in the first place.

I can understand why people aren't great fans of the first Perry plastic set and to be honest, I'm a bit bored with painting them myself now, but they got me started in ACW after several abortive attempts in metal, so they did the job of sucking me in! All the new troops I'm adding are in metal - I'm not the world's most enthusiastic painter, but I do enjoy painting metal more than plastic, even though the Perry plastic cavalry and new plastic Zouaves come close.

Norman

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
even though the Perry plastic cavalry and new plastic Zouaves

Don't tell Dave, though.  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Trooper. I really enjoyed the report and pictures of your first go at the rules on the "Other Adventures" board a few weeks ago, and it was Dave's reports and yours which inspired me to give the rules a go in the first place.

I can understand why people aren't great fans of the first Perry plastic set and to be honest, I'm a bit bored with painting them myself now, but they got me started in ACW after several abortive attempts in metal, so they did the job of sucking me in! All the new troops I'm adding are in metal - I'm not the world's most enthusiastic painter, but I do enjoy painting metal more than plastic, even though the Perry plastic cavalry and new plastic Zouaves come close.

Norman

My pleasure, and I am thrilled that we have helped to inspire you into a fascinating period. On the subject of the plastics,The trouble with the first ACW infantry set is that not all the figures are really good for one side or the other. Federal infantry did not go in for shell jackets in a big way, and Rebs did not wear that many sack coats, and the officer figure is rubbish frankly because he is neither Union or Confederate. The Zouaves are a huge improvement on the first batch, and I am looking forward to the box of Confederate infantry that is on the way. But it has to be said, unenthusiastic painter or not, you have done a great job, and got the look just right. Looking forward to more reports.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
All we need now is a re-done playsheet - I hear you're working on it  ;)

Cheers

Norman

I'm getting there, don't think I'll squeeze it onto 2 sides though :-[, it will be pretty comprehensive. So looks like 2 sheets, one side with turn sequence and movement, one side with morale, one side with firing and one with close combat. Folks can then resize and/or take away bits they don't want and maybe get down to 2.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
Looking forward to that.  :)

Offline pcjohnstone

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
I'm getting there, don't think I'll squeeze it onto 2 sides though :-[, it will be pretty comprehensive. So looks like 2 sheets, one side with turn sequence and movement, one side with morale, one side with firing and one with close combat. Folks can then resize and/or take away bits they don't want and maybe get down to 2.

That's great Phil - 4 sides is fine. I think seeing the rules laid out like that will speed up play, so mission accomplished.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
Well Done Phil! Just read this in Hong Kong airport - flight to Sydney delayed so browsing via free WIFI to pass time! David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/