Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Skaven 80's project ended [PICS]  (Read 8928 times)

Offline Manic

• Assistant
Skaven 80's project ended [PICS]
« on: October 02, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
Hello... If you love old skavens 3rd ed like me, check this link http://nico-realmsofchaos.blogspot.com

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:50:25 AM by Manic »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Skaven project
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
VERY COOL LOOKING Rat Guys...looks like quite a Horde in the works. I like the colors you chose.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Manic

• Assistant
Re: Skaven project
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
Thank, dirty colors for old sneaky rat-men !!  lol

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
Re: Skaven 80's project (PICS]
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
These are lovely rats! :-*
Excellent work!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
I saw these on Frothers and I absoletely love them! Your work on the banners is lovely too, a perfect combination of printed banners with added painting!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Manic

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 04:58:33 PM »
Thanks all, I painted this army in 2,5 months. Half to paint minatures and half for banners, nases, movements trays.
That's right Pil's, one banner is printed because I don't know why but horned rat head is so hard (Impossible) to draw with good proportions...

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
Thanks all, I painted this army in 2,5 months. Half to paint minatures and half for banners, nases, movements trays.
That's right Pil's, one banner is printed because I don't know why but horned rat head is so hard (Impossible) to draw with good proportions...

I thought they were all printed, but it's all the more impressive that they were hand painted! Top work!  :-*

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Brrrrrrr - it just brought the horror of painting 3500 pts of fur flooding back to me :)

Lovely stuff. That issue of WD was my Skaven Bible too. Loved the cowardly buggers since playing Lichemaster oh so long ago :) Did we ever get a Black Ark?
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

The original Skaven army is why I got into Warhammer in the first place. These are great...!!!!

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
Looking very nice you are certainly keep the flavour of Chamber's pj but with a modern, even French twist.

I must get some photos of my brothers 80's Skaven, nowhere near as well painted he'd be first to admit but table breaking ( possibly upper storey floor breaking) in its total size, my knees knock just thinking of his 10 jezails. The article you quote is exactly the one that started him off on these rats.

Also I have the same buildings as you, have you noticed the similarity between these and certain other WD articles?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:50:52 PM by Erny »

Offline Manic

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
Thanks all. Hi Erny, no the only WD with these skaven are WD134, 142 and an old french magazine named Herault Citadel. Finaly it's always the sames pics... Bye.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:09:01 AM »
They look fantastic! Couldn't be better!  :o ;D

This is very similar how I am tackling my orcs, and hope one day to give my skaven this treatment as well. Have been collecting mostly American D&D figs lately but couldn't help adding several lots to my skaven lately. Am following the blog and can't wait to see more!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:54 AM »
I love the skaven, venomous back-stabbing rotters that they are.  Your force is most impressive looking.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
Nicely done! Good, restrained use of colours.  Always liked ratmen for some reason, although I'm not overly fond of their real world antecedents.

I find the biggest problem with many Skaven armies is that people lose sight of what they're dealing with.  These are creatures that, for the most part, live underground, in filthy warrens.  They aren't clean holds like Dwarf settlements but muddy, wet, noxious holes literally gnawed out of the ground.  Skavenblight is in the middle of a swamp, for Pete's sake! Why, then, do so many modelers paint them in clean, bright colours? I don't mean you should dunk them in one of the dark 'dips' but if you're going to use reds or yellows, keep them muted and uncommon.  Try to use more earth tones.  They're not Elves or Landsknechts! If you want some colour, put it on the banners and shields but remember that they won't be pristine, either.  You try running through a leaky tunnel with a flag and see how clean you can keep it!

Got to get back to my diorama project one of these days - a Skaven assault on an Imperial manorhouse perched on top of a cliff.  Only need to worry about a dozen or so humans but it'll take a truckload of ratmen! 
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Manic

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Thank archangel1 , Bases are make on an "Underground" theme... no grass or tuft... Chaos Rat-men live where the sun never come.
The dirty aspect is an effect of devlan mud... This technic is good for beastmen, orcs & gobbo