Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690933
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Confused about suppression and morale  (Read 3612 times)

Offline philip.dutre

• Lurker
    • Tiny Tin Men
Confused about suppression and morale
« on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
We played our first game yesterday, and the most confusing part about the rules was suppression and morale. So, we have a few questions about how the rules should be interpreted:

- do you check for morale every time a new suppression result is added to the unit? E.g. the unit has more suppression markers than figures, but passes its morale test. Then, they suffer a new suppresion result from another unit. Do they have to check again? Or is the intent rather that a unit should check once per turen, e.g. at the beginning of its own activation?

- Is the only way to remove suppression the RECOVER operation? If so, this results in a lot of morale tests... one for passing morale, then another for recovery. This seems counterintuitive.

- Melee: if no-one retreats, does the fight continue for multiple rounds? Does the melee only stop when one side retreats?

- we played with 2 sides, about 6 units per side. A lot of the initiatives scores for the units being activated were equal (we had a lot of trained and veterans ...). So, initiative wasn't of that much use. IS the intent that there should roughly a equal number of units of the 4 categories, in order for initiative to work?

Phil
Phil Dutré

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
Hello Phil !

Thanks for buying and testing T+T. Iam sorry we confused you. That was not our intention. I try to answer your questions as clear as possible and I hope you had a little fun while playing  :)

You check only morale when the number of supression is higher than the number of your active soldiers in the unit ( page 16 ).

When the same unit receives more supression in the same round they have to test again ( imagine how devastating a crossfire can be on soldiers morale ).

The morale check has to be done IMMEDIATELY when it accured on the unit
( when youre used to the game mechanics you play a recovery card in
advance  )

When a unit has already taken a lot of fire it is more vulnerable. The result are  moralechecks. To remove supression you must play a recover order.

When you passed your first morale check and you see a chance to move your unit into a save position you can do so. In safety you can play a recover order. All in all its not a large number of morale checks. On the other hand if your Unit is shot by many other units the result can be more checks as usual.

The melee is continued in the same turn. You do not stop the melee and restart it again next turn.

Example : I score 2 hits you score 4 hits. We both check our casualties on the damage table. I inflicted 1 casualty on your side ( 1 Kill )  and you inflicted two casualties on my side ( 1 wound and 1 kill ) you win the combat and I have to check morale. If my morale holds I can decide to either retreat or fight on. If I want to fight on we continue IMMEDIATELY our melee. after we have removed our casualties and noted our supression.

It was not our intention to make huge difference in initiative. Its more exciting to see units work at the same time but using different orders. Or when a veteran unit is clearly in the sights of a trained unit but acts just a little faster and escapes into cover or out of line of sight.

You wrote that you started your first game with 6 units per side. That is no problem at all but for beginners and to get a feeling for the game I would suggest you play with two or three units per side and a hero.

If you have more questions and / or ideas just ask.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline philip.dutre

• Lurker
    • Tiny Tin Men
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
Thanks, that clears some things up!

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 02:29:31 PM »
Phil,

iam here  :)
What else is unclear ?
Björn

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
ok we have a game lat club night (report with pictures come at the weekend !!!)and I also have a question

-What if if a unit(A) fight in hand to hand with a unit(B) and´´A´´ wins the fight but ´´B´´ pass the  morale check .
``A`` get the number of supression  higher than the number of your active soldiers and have also to check morale but fail .

-what if ,if a pinnd unit is attack in ``Hand to Hand``combat ??

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:27 PM »
Hi Grimm,

In your example Unit B ( when they succeed the morale check ) can decide to continue or cancel the fight ( retreat ).

Unit A does not check morale no matter how many supression marker they have. This is hand to hand combat.

However, in case Unit A wins the melee it must make a morale check immediately after the hand to hand combat is completely over ( Unit B is destroyed, has failed morale and is therefor destroyed or captured or Unit B has retreated ).

I can see the problem and I think Chris and me will make another errata sheet
 :)

Thanks for your help.

Iam curious on your pictures

Cheers
Björn