Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15 mm Half Barrel Cannon for ships?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
15 mm Half Barrel Cannon for ships?
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »
Anyone know of a source for half barrels to glue to the side of a ship to enhance (or create) its gun complement?  And, of course, it has to work for 15/18 mm to be useful to me.  Thanks to anyone who can help out.  :D

Offline ManMachine

• Student
    • Minipansar.se
Re: 15 mm Half Barrel Cannon for ships?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »
Just a sugestion, but check with a model ship supplyer they might have something that you can use. Here is one great shop, has alot of good things for 25mm scale www.model-dockyard.com lots and lots off stuff.

And of curiosity I have to ask what ship you got? :)

Best of luck searching.
Cheers! /Gabe

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »
Yea, I agree.

A wooden model ship store is probably your best bet, especially to purchase them in quantity.

Old Glory might do them in 15mm scale too.  Check with Joel or Teresa of Old Glory 25's for suitability.

The model ship shops may refer to them as 1/4 scale, and 1/8 scale.  You'll want the 1/8 scale (1/8 x 12 inches = 1/96th scale, or 15mm scale that we commonly refer to).

Good luck on your project.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
ManMachine,

The barrels are for several ships and they can be seen here:

http://carobbeansea.blogspot.com/

As to the Old Glory recommendation, that turned out to be a bust so far, I ordered something they said was what I wanted but they were just full deck guns, full barrels and their carriages.  Not pleased with that because that money could have been spent on other things for the project - but I will find a way to put them to good use.  But still need the half guns.  Please keep the suggestions coming.

And thanks.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that about the guns, but perhaps you can use them for a shore battery, or fort onshore.  Even pirates would drag guns ashore when careening their vessels, and make a sand, or dirt berm to protect them and their vessel, while they were most vulnerable.

They'd also be good on deck too, for your vessels.

If pressed, you can always pull out the Dremel, and cut them down to size, but that seems a waste, since you have full barrels and the carriages too.

Here's one company that sells half barrels:

http://www.castyouranchorhobby.com/cat--Brass-Dummy-Gun-Barrels--Brass+Dummy+Gun+Barrels

Not sure what size you need, or your budget, but it's one place to start.

Never dealt with this company before either, but there are lots of suppliers out there, with different offerings, types of cannons (shapes), and sizes.  It seems as if there are more in the UK than here in the USA, but you should be able to find a decent domestic supplier with a bit of searching.

Look for parts/fittings for wooden ship models in your searches.

They seem to be either called dummy cannons/guns, or half-barrels, by many companies.