Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cracking the Line - KGN AAR  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Cracking the Line - KGN AAR
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Great report and an excellent collection (even if it is the wrong scale!  lol )

:o Everyone knows that 20mm, 1/72-1/76 is THE SCALE for WWII ;)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cracking the Line - KGN AAR
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »
Well if you look at the AAR entitled 'Village C' you will see what a German force, outnumbered 3 - 1 is able to do when attacking a Soviet force.

I dont believe, on an abstracted squad firing level, there should be much difference in troop firing ability, especially not in the mass armies of WW2. Where the difference should come is in how they use their weapon systems and how high their morale is. For example look at the shambles of US fire training prior to deployment into the ETO and how the semi-auto Garand made no difference to firepower due to poor training doctrine (see M. Doubler's 'GI in Europe' for a full appraisal of the huge problems the US Army encountered and overcame during and after Normandy).

In KGN the Germans benefit from better morale values (in some cases) and a more flexible squad structure that allows far more tactical options to be considered (though at the disadvantage of having smaller units). This then allows them to out-fight a numerically superior opponent (provided you use the correct tactics and lady luck smiles on you). All the armies in the books are very different in very subtle ways.

This to me gives a far better recreation than the 'my SS are WS 4' type of thing that is pure fantasy.

I think that we are on the same track here, but I am not sure, hehe. I will notice when I get the rules my self, and will come back with an answer then, when I have tested the system my self. However, the points you make are of course right, and yes well known facts and it have been discussed until no end.
The issue is, as far as I am concerned, that often do the german forces get less troops or gear with the justification of that "it was like this at the later part of the war", a general misconception that often lead to piss poor game systems, so you end up with 5 germans against gazilions of allied troops, marginally less good at doing what they are supposed to do in the game than the germans, but totally and utterly outgun them with dice, due to the above mentioned issue. Even when playing earlier war scenarios, when there is no justification what so ever for less troops/gear etc. It seems like most game rules constructors forget that they had great numbers, on par with their enemies earlier on in the war effort. However, the morale thing of the game, that you wrote about in your earlier posts about this game, here and elsewhere is what got me curious.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar