Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mecha Doctrinal and Strategic usage in Secrets of the Third reich  (Read 1917 times)

Offline ski2060

• Assistant
So, I was sitting around trying to fit mecha into my starting forces.  I plan on using ground pounder mecha for my US forces, and having some Drop Mecha to supplement my German FJ platoon.  This led me to wonder about the doctrines for use of mecha by each nation that uses them.

How prevalent are mecha in the respective armies? 

Germany was the fore runner for mecha implimentation in their armies.  Do they use them as they would other armored vehicles?  Punch through front lines or bypass fortifications and encircle pockets of resistance?  Are they pure terror weapons used as psychological warfare to supplement their conventional forces?
Would they be used more in open field warfare or shipped to front lines near cities to put their greater maneuverability to use in urban warfare?

US Mecha:  Are these still relatively rare? Do they use them in support of infantry instead of spearheading attacks?  Are they grouped into armored units on the battlefield and sent into attacks en masse or would they be parceled out by Division/Regimental commands to the thick of the fighting?

Russia seems to group theirs into larger units, battalions at least, and use them in large formations against enemy forces.

Also, on a tangent.  How are drop mecha implemented? Are they attached to the respective Air forces of each nation?  Are they only transported via air and still attached to each army unit they would fall under command of?

How exactly would a Drop mecha be transported?  Each mecha has to have significant weight.   I'm thinking of at least a ton or 2 for light mecha, up to 10-15 tons for medium drop capable mecha.

This might present problems for dropping them into combat.  Seeing as during WW2 aircraft did not have near the load capacity as modern day jet aircraft.  The Germans only had one operational jet bomber, the  Arado Ar.234 http://www.skytamer.com/Arado_Ar.234B-2_Blitz.html.  This jet only had a max carrying capacity of 1500kg (3310 pounds).   That might be enough to carry one or two light mecha, maybe one really light medium mecha.

How are drop mecha being transported via air in the world of SoTR?  Are there larger jet powered aircraft being used to bring them to battles?  With German still being pounded on all fronts how are they getting the resources to devote to Jet aircraft purely for transport of mecha or FJ troops?
My fledgling Blog ski2060.blogspot.com

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Mecha Doctrinal and Strategic usage in Secrets of the Third reich
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
Mechs seem to have replaced most conventional vehicles in combat roles by 1949. Although, with resources stretched thin, tanks can still be seen on the battlefield, their comparative lack of maneuverability renders them at the mercy of most mechs.

I'm not sure about the drop mechs, I'll ask my engineer friend.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:01 AM »
Drop Mechs in SoRT 'Jump' in using jet turbines if that helps.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Well, it's weird war, so any technology can happen. If you think that jets aren't powerful enough, have a look here
per aspera ad astra