Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 486
Total: 493

Recent

Author Topic: Update 6th June 2014 Yet another bloody project!!! Heresy era AD Mech  (Read 11980 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
So what do you do when you've got the family away for five days and the house to yourself, do you dilligently aim to complete some of your part projects, focus on consilidating units and squads? NO, you go into the garage, dig out all your various Adeptus Mechanicus related bits and pieces from the last 20+ years and start a new project, well that's what I do! ;)

Happy to admit that I was a bit of a 40k nut when I was a lot younger, have siginificant amounts of lead and plastic from the mid 80's up until about 2005/6. One thing that always inspired me was the Horus Heresy stuff, loved the early armour marks, the back story and the whole rogue trader dark gothic, (but without so many SKULLZtm and SPIKEZtm ;)).

I've always seen proper heresy era projects to be more for the mature/veteran gamer, as they should have a high level of conversion and sculpting/resculpting elements, be electic, utilise knowledge and experience from other model ranges, material, background and be well executed and painted. I think that I can tick of those boxes ;)

So with that in mind I set to work pulling the threads together.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:20:53 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Yet another bloody project!!! Heresy era AD Mech
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
Good man  8)

The Work In Progress forum should have a few gems to help you along the way but I bet you already knew that  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
Gathering the followers of the machine god:

I've had a couple of Bob Olley Ad Mech figures in my garage workshop for a while so put them to one side. Dug out my RT Imperial Guard case and found a further three servitors, (two Bob Olley ones and a very 'borg' looking one from an old GW release) and another Adeptus Mechanicus Techpriest, (first release Rogue Trader figure).

Ages ago I played with a Warmachine Cryx bonethrall, added a few AD style things, coverted to a gun servitor with the use of a plasma cannon, so dug him out after sitting on the desk undercoated for at least 4 years!

Raiding another storage unit I managed to find the other two from the pack, some more sevitor bits and pieces and a techseer from my IG forces to use to command a mantiple of conquerer robots, (RT era robots that saw use in my first space wolves army, subsequently stripped, dismantled and stored away). (I love those old robot sculpts personally).

That just left the resin stuff so managed to local the forgeworld servo skulls, the Adeptus Titanicus Techpriest and some proxies I bought from Micro-art studios a few years back.

a unit of these:

and one of these:

I also had a pair of kryomek hellcat legs (walker/ed209 styled) legs in my bits box and a spare plastic dreadnought misslie launcher, so with a bit of cutting, gluing and a good rummage through the box again, we now have a a missile launcher gun sevitor.

Finalliy on the larger sevitor front I'd started work years ago on an Orgyn gun sevitor, using a set of tracks from an RT rapier, the main body of a 2nd editino sentinel walker, the torso of a ogryn and copius amounts of guitar springs, again another forlorn and unloved piece that sat in the garage unfinished.

Well suffice to say he's almost done now so will be based and undercoated later.

So with the basics pulled together I started work on the cleaning and basing. Could have easily gone for full resin bases, (Fenris sulacco style would have been idea but wanted a more martian suface as I think tech on tech has been done to death).

So set to work yesterday armed with Season one of The Walking Dead on dvd as my background distraction. End of the night, all figures togther, gaps and casting issues sorted out on the resin stuff, robots built and just the larger stuff to base this morning, then when I get back from surfing this afternoon I'll undercoat it all and get cracking on the paint.

No pics currently as my wife has the camera for the weekend but will try to take a few dodgy mobile phone shots later.

Cheers

The Commander
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:46:09 AM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »
Good man  8)

The Work In Progress forum should have a few gems to help you along the way but I bet you already knew that  ;)

cheers

James

I have plenty of reference material good sir, it was infact sharing it with another Laffer that got me thinking I must get this done. There's been some amazing projects done already, not looking to create a massive army, more of a flavour of an expeditionary force. They'll never see a 40k battlefield re: 40k rules but hope to use them somewhere.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
For the younglings among us, these are the robots I'm using:

(Only conquerer, never had any of the others, mantiple of four).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Those robots go for a pretty penny these days I had around 8 at one time and gave them away :'(

They were a pain in Rogue Trader days as you had to write attack programmes for them  lol

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
Those robots go for a pretty penny these days I had around 8 at one time and gave them away :'(

They were a pain in Rogue Trader days as you had to write attack programmes for them  lol
But very entertaining when you'd written that program wrong! ;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »
Yeah remember those days well, had many a techmarine in tears on the phone to Adeptus mechanicus Tech support, (though the martian accent was really hard to understand)

' Yes Techsupport Priest I have tried turning the units on or off and they still end up firing in the wrong.....DAAAAAAAAAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKAKKAK! ARRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH!'
;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
Yup playing the old seige game they were my trump card  :-[ I think we played over 6- 8 weeks each weekend and I still couldent even blow the bloody doors off, and my dwarves were crap at tunneling too :o

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
Found my pig iron ferrals hooded heads so will mock up a few skittari options later using ig plastics, see how it goes.

Off to go and get thin cigarette papers, they are great for covering over slots on figure bases where there's no tab, just pva them on and apply scatter. no gap!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
Dug out the cadian torsos, waiting on some high elf legs so will start on the heads, arms and bodies. Also found a load of bionic arms, combat appendages and old metal necron legs, skittari are gonna get mech'd up!

:D

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »
Sounds like a very interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing the first pics!  :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Very nice project but how many do you have at the same time ?
 Are you an octopus Mark ? ;)
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Too many!  :D

Stuff undercoated now.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile