Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: C22 Plague Cart and Throne of Souls [PICS]  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
C22 Plague Cart and Throne of Souls [PICS]
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
Hello again adventurers! I have some more offerings for your perusal: a C22 Plague Cart and a Liche on a Throne, an old Grenadier model now sold by Mirliton.

The Plague Cart was introduced to us in White Dwarf 94 (October 1987) along with the Skeleton War Machines box. Costing £2.50 originally, The Plague Cart is a bit of a Frankenstein kit. The body of the cart is re-used from the old Bugmans Cart, the wheels are the same as those of the metal undead chariot, the pile of bones is just some existing skeletons chopped up and puttied together and the only parts that really had fresh production value are the dire Wraith rider (or spectral carter) by Trish Morrison and the rather lovely undead ox which has never been used for anything else since.

Anyway, it's the whole package that counts and not just the ox and the rider, and the model as a whole is lovely! Though, as anyone possessing this model can attest: it just doesn't fit together. The kit is missing bits: the wheels can't reach the body of the cart without the pile of skeletons getting in the way. The carter can't set his spectral ass down on the cart without falling over and worst of all the cart itself has absolutely nothing with which it can hold on to the ox!

So when I built my cart I kept these things in mind and set about fixing them. I first glued the pile of skeletons to the cart and then pinned the wheels to the cart, making sure the pins added extra space between the wheels and the cart to accomodate for the stinking pile of bones. Next I glued the ox in a hand-cut slot in a magnetic chariot base and set out to make a yoke. I folded a bit of lead foil to look eathery and added some 'undead holes' to make it look distressed. I dry-fitted the yoke on the cart and the ox so the cart would have the right amount of elevation. Once I had the right elevation of the cart I glued the foil down to the bars of the cart and folded the foil around the spine of the ox so it would fit snugly on the ox after painting.

Amid the bones I found a place to put the carter, drilled a hole in its bum and added a pin, the I drilled a hole in the cart so the carter would have something to hold on to. I glued the unpainted carter to the unpainted cart so the bond would be strong.

Since the carter was grabbing some empty air and I had so much fun adding reins to chariots before, I drilled a hole through his hand and added some button thread reins stuck to the front of the cart.

When all was done I painted the combination in bone, and the carter in khaki linen. The colour of the carter is (unintentionally) nearly identical to the bone but I thought a black cowl would be too obvious. I painted his hands black to add some contrast (is it the colour of his soul, or are they just gloves?) and painted a skull face with glowing eyes in the hood. I still don't know if I like this look, but as I said this Trish sculpt is rather poor and it needed something extra.

Well, enough talk, here's four pictures:

And here's my other offering, an old Grenadier Liche on throne. I got this model for my birthday last year (together with my COlossus of Argil) and since it's almost a year ago it would be good to get him finally painted. Again this is a model with a poor fit. In fact, you can combine the parts in several ways, but I settled for this one as it fits on a 50mm square base. He's a bit more colourful than most of my undead but I believe a lot of Grenadiers undead are a bit more flamboyant. I decided I'd paint the throne green and the skull red so it wouldn't be a dull model with everything grey, brown and bone. To complement the green and red I painted the liches robe yellow with some markings on them. Enjoy the pictures!

Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: C22 Plague Cart and Throne of Souls [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
 :o :o :o

More great work,Pil!

I have always liked the Plague Cart but had never realised it was such a bugger to put together. Or that it was made from a bastard mix of parts!

The Grenadier Throne is a nice model, too. Never seen that one before.
I take it that it is an old mini?
It works really well, not so much trouble putting that one together?

I particularly like the litter itself, it works well. The little familiar thing poking his head out of one of the eye sockets is a nice touch too.

Great basing as well.
I must look into getting some of those flowers. They look very realistic.

Some nice additions to your Undead Horde.
At this rate you will need to move house again before you know it!

Great stuff, Pil.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
Pil, the King of the Undead! :) Amazing work again, I've never seen the throne before, actually an absolute must-have piece. And the painting fits the models very good.

just well done, Pil.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »
Wow, this is nice. :-*

I just want the king to wave his hand to the crown and the paparazzi.  :D

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
Thanks all! I think the liche on the throne is rather old. I can't find it on the Stuff of Legends but a lot of Grenadier stuff there doesn't have pictures. It's actually sold as a Skeleton Emperor on Palanquin by Mirliton:
http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=skeleton-emperor-on-palanquin&cName=fantasy-2528mm-undeads

I guess the model was from the early 80s but I don't remember if it had any markings. It didn't go together too well to be honest. The four bearers don't have a lot to hold on to so all their hands are pinned to the big bones. The palanquin itself is made of four parts the lower construction with the tusks, the bed with the animal skin, the chair with the character and the back of the chair. The back of the chair doesn't fit to the chair (the emperor's head is in the way) so I filled the gap with Magicsculp. The chair itself doesn't fit well to the bed so again I filled the gap with putty. You can also see the emperor has no feet. The bed itself doesn't fit in any logical way to the lower construction so I just glued it on top of it. You can see some of the weak points quite clearly in the picture on the Mirliton site:

http://www.mirliton.it/images/catalog/UD029.jpg

Anyway, all those design flaws re easily fixed and allowed me to put it together in the way I want so it's not much of a problem really. Now that it's painted I'm really happy with it and it will probably be used as a Casket of Souls in my Tomb Kings army. Hence the name Throne of Souls, which I borrowed from the Happy Legion:
http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/hl/fullsize/throne1_us.html
http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/hl/gallery.html