Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black Scorpion vs. Foundry  (Read 5328 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Black Scorpion vs. Foundry
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:36:59 AM »
I'm just starting to get ready to play Legends of the Old West.  I've been debating what mini line to drop a metric ton of cash on.  

I was originally going to go with the Foundry line, because they have the most, and a good variety of figures.  Then I found the Tombstone line from Black Scorpion, and I really love the sculpts...but they don't have any mounted figures.

I think I'm going to order a bunch of the Tombstone ones to get started...but does anyone know how they look next to the Foundry ones?  Later when I want some Native Americans, bystanders, and mounted figures, I'll look at that line.  Will they look OK next to each other or is the scale and sculpts all wrong?

Thanks
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:54:02 AM »
You must remembre, that Foundry has two lines. The bystanders are from the older Copplestone-line, and they are 25mm and they don't mix well with the <ounger line, not to mention with black scorpion. On the other hand they go well with Dixons, which are a bit clumsy but have great poses and the best wagons i know of. The older line only has mounted cavalry and indians. The younger Foundrys are somewhat smaller than black scorpion, but it's not that great a difference (black scorpion has enormous weapons, though). And they go with Artizan.

Ah yes, and give conquest a try, they have great Comanche.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Love BS
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
I have all the old foundry old west ones and a few of the newer ones.  They are great figures with lots on different poses and lots of towns folk witch add to a range.  Black Scorpions are my Favorites I really love the figures but they are a lot bigger than foundry check out this link
http://oldwest.witchhunter.net/old_west_scale.html
BS as stated above has 9 of the figures mounted but when I suggested that he make some townsfolk he stated that they would not sell so I don't think they will be made. It’s too bad really I love a Bartender piano player (to go with the Banjo Player) a Shopkeeper Etc... In their range
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Love BS
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:16:10 PM »
Quote from: "bandit86"
I have all the old foundry old west ones and a few of the newer ones.  They are great figures with lots on different poses and lots of towns folk witch add to a range.  Black Scorpions are my Favorites I really love the figures but they are a lot bigger than foundry check out this link
http://oldwest.witchhunter.net/old_west_scale.html
BS as stated above has 9 of the figures mounted but when I suggested that he make some townsfolk he stated that they would not sell so I don't think they will be made. It’s too bad really I love a Bartender piano player (to go with the Banjo Player) a Shopkeeper Etc... In their range

Darnit!  I was hoping I wasn't going to have to choose.  I really like the Black Scorpion ones (oh, and thanks for the link to the mounted figs, the store I was going through didn't have those listed), but the foundry ones have a much better selection when I start expanding.  Guess It's a safer bet to go with Foundry.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »
Just remember the old Foundrys don't have many horses.

old ranges are
-City Slickers
-Cowpokes
-Mexico
-Apache
-Prairie Indians
-US Cavalry
These include most of the civilians.

New ranges are
-Border Wars (in fact every mounted mini that is not an indian or US Cavalry)
-Posse & Outlaws
-Texas Rangers
-Mountain Men
-Blackfeet
You'll notice that most weapons are from around ACW, only very few Winchesters are available.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »
ha ha I went to make my order this morning and looked at that Tombstone line again, and said: screw scale!  I just had to have them, so I ordered $150 worth (about 2/3rds of the line).

I just love the figs too much, and they look easier to convert, should I opt to do that in the future.

If I'm going to paint them, I want the coolest possible figures, even if they don't look as "era authentic" as the other lines.

Of course,the 25mm houses I have are going to look real small now :)...but they are only temporary to get me started playing asap anyway.  Once I start building real ones, I'll scale them accordingly.

Hopefully the Tombstone line continues to grow to include some bystander types.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:29 AM »
Good for you. Black scorpion is a great company with some beautiful products. I think you'll be happy with your decision.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Houses
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:35:40 AM »
I am useing Arnica Montana Buildings they are pretty good next to my BS cowboys.

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
I'm also thinking about picking up a bunch of BS minis.

Is this a new line that's still growing?  I mean, will there be more native americans coming out?

Also, Conquest looks to have some really cool tribes. Do they scale well to BS?

Thanks!

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 03:35:07 PM »
Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"

Also, Conquest looks to have some really cool tribes. Do they scale well to BS?

Thanks!

No. Conquest is more in scale with Perry or Great War Miniatures, while BS is definetely one of the largest "28mm"-Ranges around

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »

Is this a new line that's still growing?  I mean, will there be more native americans coming out?

Black Scorpion has been steadily growing over the last couple of years and the western line has additions pretty much monthly. He just started with some Indians, Apaches,  in the latest release, and its my guess that more will follow shortly.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:45:49 PM »
Quote from: "Chairface"

Black Scorpion has been steadily growing over the last couple of years and the western line has additions pretty much monthly. He just started with some Indians, Apaches,  in the latest release, and its my guess that more will follow shortly.

Well that's great!  I guess I'm getting into it at the right time...before there are too many to hope to ever collect...but when there are enough to make it worth the while.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:58 PM »
I got into Cowboys too long ago when Foundry brought out their original range, must be about 8 years ago now and wish the Black Scorpion and Artizan cowboys had been around then, especially the Black scorprion ones :cry:  both these later ranges and the later Foundry ones tower over my little perry ones :freak:

Still I have too many to justify buying any more. It is truly a golden age of the Wild West :mrgreen: