Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691522
  • Total Topics: 118400
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cthulhu pix in bandwidth-gobbling detail  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Cthulhu pix in bandwidth-gobbling detail
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »
Well, as I painted them specially (and I'm not likely to paint any more in the near future), here, for the record, are some bigger pics of my Cthulhu attempts, which sadly didn't fare too well in the final round of the league...  :wink:

Unfortunately, I've never read a word of Lovecraft, so the colour schemes were a wild guess. I now understand that they should probably have been a bit more naturalistic in colour, and a little less cheery-looking...

Also that The Great Cthulhu lives under the sea so should probably have looked wet, and not rather dry...

And that 'deep ones' (fish men to the uninitiated) should be mud-coloured, not goldfish-coloured.  :mrgreen:  

Ah well - don't think it would have made much difference against Dominic's excellently painted posse of adventurers in their equally excellent setting. Everyone here loves their adventurers!

I have to say that compared to the last 'big' miniature I made, which was a GW Balrog, the RAFM Great Cthulhu went together like a dream. A pleasure to assemble and paint. Unlike the GW Balrog which was utterly impossible to fit together without a huge amount of carving and filling.

Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed painting these Cthulhu miniatures, and intend to keep hold of the smaller figures. (Particularly as I found a bag of 60 assorted Cthulhu minis deep under the lead mountain, which someone had given me a couple of years ago, and I didn't even know what they were until now!)

My Great Cthulhu though, will be appearing in an eBay auction near you, sometime in the not too distant future.  :wink:  

He's a bit too expensive to have sitting around doing nothing.

I'll let you know when he's up...

:lol:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
I think the good fit of the RAFM miniatures has something to do with the comparatively large lead content. You get a much better detail and less shrinkage.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
Well I think they're great  :love:

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:51:38 PM »
Capt Blood - if it is any consolation, when I started up my Internet last Monday and first saw what I was up against, I said "I'm sunk!"

It is an excellent model, and a very good interpretation!

Cheers!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
He's a scary looking Mother F*****!

I think you have done a splendid job. :)
 Sorry I can't remember whether I voted for you or Dominic, I can't recall his entry. Top stuff. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »
Cap Blood, they're brilliant. And on demonic types a la Cthulhu, I don;t mind vivid colours at all.
Ftahgn!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 06:48:58 PM »
Quote from: "dominic"
Capt Blood - if it is any consolation, when I started up my Internet last Monday and first saw what I was up against, I said "I'm sunk!"

Dominic, thanks. That's kind of you to say so.
I thought exactly the same thing!
Unfortunately for me, I was right and you were wrong  :wink:

Overall though, the whole competition was a pretty close run thing. Just a few votes in it at the end could have turned it...

But if the results have gone the way I think, I'm happy that justice has been done, and the three best painters have come out on top - possibly with one or two exceptions who joined the race late on, and were therefore never likely to catch up.

I thought the foliage in the background of your adventurers pic was superb. Really vivid and bosky (I think that's the word!) Was it handmade, or an off the shelf purchase?

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
Capt Blood - the foliage right at the back (behind the Ganesha ruin) was made by Grimm!

The foliage between the Ganesha and the figures are Woodland Scenics "clumpy" foliage.

Cheers!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »
Thanks.

Grimm...

Hmmm.. Must get myself some Grimm-built forest!  :)

Maybe with the proceeds of the Great Cthulhu!

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »
Captain Blood, I like Your entry very, very much!
:love:

Lovecraft described large(well, at least life-size) creatures, which would look great if they were coloured in subdued tones. However, we are talking miniatures here and in my opinion, these call for artistic license when it comes to painting them, even more so if they are demonic. There is absolutely no use for yet another technically well painted brown lizardman who really blends in with his surroundings.
 :)

Your paint job has everything a very good paint job needs to have: Great choice of colour, smooth colour transitions especially in the red areas of the Great One, careful attention to contrast and a hight standard of painting on all of the miniatures in this entry. What more can You ask for?
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »
Vikotnik,

Thank you. That's really high praise indeed. Yours was far and away the best Great Cthulhu. Loved the algae and dripping slime - although the human-like eyes were rather disconcerting!  :lol:

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
Cheers, Captain!:)
although the human-like eyes were rather disconcerting!

Actually, I painted them red first. Then I thought: "Red-eyed slimy monsters? No way, not again, You really had Your share of them!"

After that, I gave all of them  the 'Melancholy stare' as my wife has put it! Now they seem like they want to leave the cabinet they're resting in...
:mrgreen:

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »
although the human-like eyes were rather disconcerting!

Actually, I painted them red first. Then I thought: "Red-eyed slimy monsters? No way, not again, You really had Your share of them!"

After that, I gave all of them  the 'Melancholy stare' as my wife has put it! Now they seem like they want to leave the cabinet they're resting in...
:mrgreen:[/quote]

And I have seen them doing it everytime you're out of the room...

btw. Are there any non-metal Cthulhu figures around? Lead tends to be rather expensive.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
Wow! :D I just lost a 1d100 Sanity!

Cheers,
Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort