Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Do I have enough Zeds?  (Read 5968 times)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Do I have enough Zeds?
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
I know the short answer: "Never" :)

But there's a small local con coming up in less than a month, and I only have 72 zombies ready to play - 3 Wargame Factory packs, based as a 12-man "horde" and 60 individuals. I'll be using Akula's AR:SE rules, and of course zombie casualties will be instantly recycled.

But is it enough to present sufficient challenge to my players? The heroes will have a short squad of US Army National Guardsmen (Empress US Moderns - gorgeous figs) with a Humvee-mounted MG (Force of Arms), a package of Tactical Miniatures' "Big City PD" cops (5 officers) and a few (3-4) Hasslefree armed civilians. All in all, about a dozen effectives. The scenario is "Z-Day plus 7", where a mixed bunch of safety forces are sent into the city center to extract civilians who actually obeyed the mayor's "Stay In Your Homes" order of five days past. These are the folks who don't have cars or access to other transport, and the situation's gotten dire enough to try an evacuation.

The safety forces are (theoretically) supposed to establish a cordon, clear the area inside of "the infected", load the rescued civvies aboard commandeered school buses, then cordon off the next street and continue. Lather, rinse, repeat. The quick way to summon civvies from their homes (driving down the street with a bullhorn) will also draw every zed for a mile around. On the other hand, going house-to-house will be slow and dangerous, and will give the "zed-train" time to get rolling on your position. I expect a lot of creative tactical solutions from my players - they're a cunning and blood-thirsty lot.

But is it a sufficiently "target-rich" environment for them?
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Do I have enough Zeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
Definatley more than enough

Offline Eldorf.Dragonsbane

• Librarian
  • Zombie Game Fan
    • Doug's Land of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
The short answer is possibly, unfortunately the long answer is NO. To have any where close to enough you have to have Vampifans horde of 500+ zombies (I wouldn't be surprised if he is pushing closer to maybe the 650/700 mark by now).  lol

I know my hoard is currently about 115-120 zombies, and I am always looking for more. Granted I probably wont use all of them in one game (ATZ primarily), unless its a big game where I have a couple other people joining in on where we each have our star plus 3-4 grunts under our control. I figure I can easily recycle the "dead" zombies as needed. I am always looking at getting additional zombies, just to continue building up my collection so I have a selection to choose from. The same goes with my survivors, I am always looking at getting more, just so I have a choice of what to use.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
I think I've read from some of the "zombie experts" (here, on the FoD, or on Frothers), than zombies should outnumber survivors in a 10:1 or 12:1 ratio.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »
I played in a Zombie game at H-Con. My buddy running the game had almost 100 figures painted up. We ended up using another 20 unpainted figures...in total close to 120 Zombies for our game!!

Get painting!!  o_o

Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
I have about 120 or so as well for my gaming.  I had to limit my zeds to a single minis case or I'd have so many more.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Skratch

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:23:13 AM »
I know the short answer: "Never"

You already answered your own question, so ...

No seriously, depends a bit on the game you're going to play. Could work but with zombies more is always better ;)

Offline DD-Chris

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
If you do not plan on buying/painting more zombies, i may sugest that you use a "fog of war" type mechanic. players dont get the 'gods eye view' of every zed on the table. but as they turn onto a street, WHAMMO u drop a bunch of Z's. this will keep things CREEPY AS HELL for the players, and be a lot less taxing on your painting schedule.
Granted this may cause you to remove zombies from streets they passed up, and repopulate them in a newly discovered area. but i never said it was a perfect solution, it just adds a new element that many games dont have.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
Thank you for your input, gentlemen! Further acquisitions are planned, just not in time for the upcoming event...

DD-Chris: I've actually decided that I need to make "blind" markers that will populate uncleared buildings and also streets the safety forces haven't reached yet. Each blind represents "threat or rumor of threat", with no way to tell what it actually is until a scout actually puts eyes on it.

I'll probably have to devise a way for blinds to multiply - IE, if the characters bypass a concentration and kite off down a side street, the Zeds get changed into two or more blind markers, each of which has the potential to be all or part of the group that was spotted previously.

I have some Ebob dollies and I'll probably be making a few masters for casting my own Zeds, but that will clearly be a project for "Floor Wars 2012", not "Floor Wars 2011"

On a related note, any good source for female zombies? The Wargames Factory sprues are all men, leading my Lovely Bride to trumpet her sex's superior survival skills, come the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
Studio do an almost 50/50 mix of male to female zombies.
Hasslefree have several lovely female zombies too.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Bag O Zombies do male, female, clown and dog sets, generally 50 per set.

There's only one pose per set, but there are always clippers to remove arms and legs  :)

The detail isn't great, but they're fine for hordes.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Are they guest players or members of your group?

At the Nightmare on Froth street game at Salute a few years ago, Frothers attending brought zombies for the game, even if they didn't take part.

If not, maybe you can order the Victory Force bargain pack for a quick addition to the horde?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
I ran a zombie game last year at a con using A,R,S,E. The play area was a 4ftx4ft board and we used approximately 120 zombies . We ran games with six players controlling one randomly picked survivor. The game was set at Zed Day + 2 weeks. It worked very well. 120 zeds was enough to maintain the fear factor in the game.

ALSO THE bag o zombie figures are great for filling out a big horde.

dex 

Offline DD-Chris

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
i would also recomend the boardgame "last night on earth"
it comes with 2 styles of zombies a male 'shambler' and a female 'runner' but it also has some FANTASTIC survivor models. the only downside is the soft plastic they are cast in. but for $35 getting 8 survivors, and 30 zombies, is a deal in itself.
as for your 'blind' markers may i suggest this.
have a bag full of tokens numbered on 1 side. the numbers can be anywhere form 0-5. and place several of them on each street. when a scout gets within X inches, he can flip those tokens, and reveal how many zeds are at that location ( place them within X inches of the token ) as noise is made, you cay move the tokens towards the noise, you can do something as simple as 2 sided printed paper, side 1 being the numbers, side 2 being a picture of zombies, or an empty street, or a question mark, or of your bride "sorry sweetie, looks like u didnt make it"
 lol

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Just to throw my rotten corpse in the pile here.

For our games we start with say 50 or so 'milling' around and then depending on how evil I'm feeling we then spawn up another load prior to game start using the spawn markers and 2d6 for the number of zeds per allocated spawn point. So we start a game with around 70- 100 on the table (the table being 6 foot by 4 foot, full urban spread). If you want 500+ on the table that's fine, but realistically, you gonna be using and moving and rolling for all of them.... nope didn't think so.

We use a ratio of at least 10:1 (hell you think there's a happy ending in zombie films!) sometimes up to 20:1, but this is a rule of thumb, I don't waste time working out the ratios, I'd rather play with what feels 'right'.

Blind tokens will work well, either mark them up or create a random roll table.

Bag o zombies are really too small for use with other 28mm zeds and wargames factory....erm plenty of other zombies out there. Want plastic, snaffle some old GW plastic zed bits and a few boxes of mantic games plastic zeds, lots of potential for kit bashing. Lots of options/zed conversions in my urban zed thread.

Good luck

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.