Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Aztecs gone?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Foundry Aztecs gone?
« on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
Can't seem to find them on the site anymore...

Was there any warning that they were going to be retired?  Was just thinking about finally breaking down and putting in an order!

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
Re: Foundry Aztecs gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Lead Asbestos,

They had them on clearance during the fall sale along with the ancient German range, so now they are not available.  Unfortunately there are several ranges that they have done this to (much of the Oldest and Mountain men, World of the Greeks).  I contacted them and they said they were downsizing ranges to better control sales.  I don't find this helpful for them though because they have lost several orders from me because they no longer have the packs.  Not sure what is going on with foundry but it is a bit disappointing. 

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
Drop Dave Thomas a line... He bought massive amount of Foundry stuff while they were having their clearance. You might get lucky.

Furthermore, as much as I know you can still buy regiment deals of things that were on the clearance sale.

Man, I wish Foundry would just sell their moulds and call it a day. The miniatures they have don't deserve this...

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »
Bugger, I saw some in the clearance sale but they weren't packs I wanted so didn't worry about it as I assumed the others were staying :(

They won't sell the moulds, they want too much money for the company. I know someone who enquired.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Man, I wish Foundry would just sell their moulds and call it a day. The miniatures they have don't deserve this...

It does seem very peculiar that they are retiring so many excellent ranges by the likes of Steve Saleh, Mark Copplestone and Mike Owen, whilst launching so many distinctly average new ranges sculpted by - who knows?

Presumably they reckon that most people that were going to buy World of the Greeks, Mountain men, Ancient Germans or Aztecs, would have bought them in the ten years or so they've been available, so it's not worth keeping them on.

But I've never understood Foundry's whole hokey policy of overstocks, sell-offs, preview packs, temporary withdrawals, reintroductions of previously withdrawn ranges and all the other strange things they get up to...
One suspects they are all just marketing ploys.
How successful they are, again, who knows?

Strange that companies like Redoubt, who carry a huge range of different miniatures accumulated over (20+ ?) years, never seem to feel the need to keep taking ranges in and out of production... Not sure why Foundry have to do it  ::)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Shit.

Anybody have any Aztecs they'd like to sell?

:?

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
I know that you are in the USA but, if you go to the Foundry in Nottingham, they have clearance blisters either in BIG plastic 'stack and stores' or tucked away in a corner where the lighting is poor. Last time I was there, I managed to get stuff they had supposedly 'cleared' up to a year ago at either £3 a pack or buy two for a fiver, get one free. Do you have someone over here that could pop in for you?
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
Shit.

Anybody have any Aztecs they'd like to sell?

:?

I will dig through my pile, not sure I have many Aztecs left unpainted and I sold my army in Septmeber over 300 Aztecs :'( but may have a few in the lead pile

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »
Do Foundry have to pay a royalty to the original sculptors? I thought that the Perrys had some sort of deal like that ... it would explain why they were phasing out old lines for newly produced versions perhaps?
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
The aztek range (or at least the largest part of it) was sculpted by Joseph Ochmann who left when the turmoil at Foundry was at it's highest point and almost everybody was leaving, but he didn't reach the same deal as Perry's or Copplestone or the likes. Whilst the previous had a deal concerning their rights as sulptors, Joseph was never granted anything. I think it even went to court, but you'll have to ask him that.
Joseph now owns Obelisk miniatures but mostly sculpts on commission.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:11:42 AM »
Do Foundry have to pay a royalty to the original sculptors? I thought that the Perrys had some sort of deal like that ... it would explain why they were phasing out old lines for newly produced versions perhaps?

I had seen that somewhere recently :?

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

I also read that somewhere too. I think on here somewhere but I could be wrong. It is such a shame that so many of their ranges are being retired, not that I could afford them when they were in production though but I hate to think that I really can't have them now.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
I also read that somewhere too. I think on here somewhere but I could be wrong. It is such a shame that so many of their ranges are being retired, not that I could afford them when they were in production though but I hate to think that I really can't have them now.

I think it is in the new rennaisance rules thread

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
I've heard that rumour quite a lot recently, so maybe it's true.

If so, it's pretty unusual in the creative industries. Usually if you employ a designer to design something for you, then you acquire the intellectual property / copyright in that design and it's yours to do with as you wish.

That said, some illustrators, photographers etc do attempt to put restrictions on artworks - so you may commission someone to draw some illustrations for you, with the payment covering rights for a limited period, say 3 or 5 years. After that, you'd need to renegotiate payment to extend the rights.
If you want the particular artist, photographer, illustrator, filmmaker, whatever, badly enough, you may be dumb enough to sign up to that kind of deal. But most perfectly good jobbing creatives know that sensible companies won't let them get away with it.
But I've not heard of wargames figures sculptors operating on that basis before.

We're always being told what a marginal business figure manufacturing is - if you had to pay someone to sculpt figures, and then go back 3, 5, or 10 years later and pay them all over again, I can't see anyone would make a profit at all.

If that's the kind of deal Foundry signed up to, then they're not the ruthlessly commercial outfit I've always taken them to be!  ;)

I'm sure someone knows the truth of it, and will let us know in due course...  ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
I wonder if it was because the Perry twins were partners when it was Guernsey Foundry? or I think they were ???