Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Kingdom of Jackals map?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
The Kingdom of Jackals map?
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
I am really becoming fast-engrossed in Stephen Hunt's VSF fantasy, and thanks to all of you who recommended the read! 

Only one thing annoys me.  This is one of those fantasy worlds that is in desperate need of a map, and doesn't have one.  At least, it doesn't have one in The Rise of the Iron Moon, which is the only novel in this cycle that I presently have access to.

Tried google, and no help there.  Anyone know of a map for this?

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: The Kingdom of Jackals map?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
I'm thinking I saw a map in one of my books. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
I'm thinking I saw a map in one of my books. I'll check when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:09 AM »
I have the first two books and there's no map in either of them. Try Stephen Hunts home page.
http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/author/index.php
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »
From a search of the sfcrowsnest forum:
"Re: What's the world called?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »
Yes, a lot of readers have asked for a map. I have a rough idea where all the nations are, but I avoided doing a detailed map for myself because it seemed a little too Role Playing Game-ish (although it seemed to work for JK Rowling).

Stephen"

Is there a need of a separate map for Harry Potter? I thought it was a straight up world-we've-already-got. With a few additions. No continental drift. Unlike below.

From the same thread, in a post also by the author:
"It's actually Earth in the far future - but many millions of years... long enough for the maps to be totally changed by continental drift (the UK is part of the mainland again), and humanity to have evolved out into various sub-species, such as the craynarbians, graspers etc.

Where's its referenced in the novels, it's simply 'Earth'."

Of course, the first post I've mentioned was in reply to:
"Ahhhhhh! Oooooooo! Ummm - well that's helpful, because at some point I'd love to do a map. That's going to need a lot of thinking about of course."

I suppose you could sign on to the forum, and ask the lad if he'd made any headway since last year.

So this is definitely Steampunk? Not VSF?

Doug
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:17:37 PM by The_Beast »

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »

Hmm.  Coupla' troubling things about that.

"...it seemed a little too Role Playing Game-ish (although it seemed to work for JK Rowling)."

Okay, so who does he think his readers are?  Or is that just meant as a straight smack in the puss?

From the same thread, in a post also by the author:
"It's actually Earth in the far future - but many millions of years... long enough for the maps to be totally changed by continental drift (the UK is part of the mainland again), and humanity to have evolved out into various sub-species, such as the craynarbians, graspers etc.

I'm always a little cautious about stuff like this written by the author in a fan site.  You are 50% likely to get treated to a "Huh?  What?  Oh.  I must've been drunk when I wrote that..."

Oh well, I am still very much enjoying the book.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:52:12 AM »

Hmm.  Coupla' troubling things about that.

Okay, so who does he think his readers are?  Or is that just meant as a straight smack in the puss?

I don't think you should take the comment that way. As a writer it leaves room for development of his world. By commiting to a map while it's still being created could bring about limitations. Better to let the world develop through writing rather than trying to fit his writing around the limitations of a map.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
I don't think you should take the comment that way. As a writer it leaves room for development of his world. By commiting to a map while it's still being created could bring about limitations. Better to let the world develop through writing rather than trying to fit his writing around the limitations of a map.

Well, I'll take it any way I please! Oh, wait, I feel the same about role-players.  lol

Just kidding; some of my best friends are...  :D

However, worse still, no way for the author to reply to my possibly out-of-context quotes; I would have brought the discussion to his attention, but, short of joining yet another forum I'm only tangentially interested, no way to do so.

Enjoy the books as you will; still sounds like 40K steampunk. About as much as Ulysses Quicksilver series, and the Queen in the image of the Undying Emperor/ess.

Doug

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:47:24 PM »

Well, I'll take it any way I please! Oh, wait, I feel the same about role-players.  lol

Just kidding; some of my best friends are...  :D

However, worse still, no way for the author to reply to my possibly out-of-context quotes; I would have brought the discussion to his attention, but, short of joining yet another forum I'm only tangentially interested, no way to do so.

Enjoy the books as you will; still sounds like 40K steampunk. About as much as Ulysses Quicksilver series, and the Queen in the image of the Undying Emperor/ess.

Doug

Fair enough, fair enough.  Anyway, I am still really enjoying The Rise of the Iron Moon.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:49:24 PM by gloriousbattle »

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
Keep going I've read them all, up to and including "Jack Cloudie", it was the Rise of the Iron Moon that got me into the books as well, as I saw a discounted hard back at a bookstore bought it not releasing that there were two previous books, so I got cheap copies of them as well.
  :D
gan canny kidder!

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
Keep going I've read them all, up to and including "Jack Cloudie", it was the Rise of the Iron Moon that got me into the books as well, as I saw a discounted hard back at a bookstore bought it not releasing that there were two previous books, so I got cheap copies of them as well.
  :D

Good to know there is not a bad apple in the barrel!

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
I've chatted with Stephen Hunt a few times (online) and he is a really nice guy. I can't comment on his opinion of role players as they haven't come up, but he is a big sci-fi fan and always happy to chat. I was reading SFCrowsnest (a sci-fi news website) before he published his first Jackals book.

As for other avenues to chat with him, he is on Facebook and also a direct email via the address on SFCrowsnest will usually get a response.

I am a bit behind with my reading as I am only half way through Rise of the Iron Moon, but I have the latest books lined up for reading in quick succession after that.
Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll check into that, and remonstrate with him for slurring the honor of roleplayers.

D20s at ten paces!

;)