Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691057
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules with no name review  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Rules with no name review
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
Made a review of the short free to download PDF version of the "Rules with no name", which seem to have been bought by Foundry, released in book form and are no longer available for free... However from what I read the rules are pretty much the same in both versions. I also make a comparison with the Legends of the Old West which is the primary ruleset for this period in my group.

Overall I like RWNN, they are detailed and dynamic. They prolong the gunfights by adding several midgame wounds instead of only "killed" results from shooting. There are however a lot of stuff to be crafted, such as character cards and to make the game flow faster I would recommend making the "chits" with all the wounds from shooting and brawling as well as the skills.

Check the blog for the full review
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/10/rules-with-no-name-free-pdf-version.html

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rules with no name review
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
Ohoy Anatoli, thanks for a great review, as per usuall heh. I was really looking for one just today, so it really came in handy.

We have been looking for a good game system to accomodate all the stuff we want to be in it, but alas, havent found a system yet that we like. LotOW is too much... ehh what it is. Fun but a bit too simple and not enough details.  I downloaded the free version of RWNN the other day, but got put off by the moving rules, they are, simply put, pure and utter crap. That could easily be changed though I suppose. Why not allow the 3 D6 movement but with free movent path?

So... will you do a Gutshot review as well *hint hint*? :)

I got to admit that I bought Two Hour Wargames Six Gun Sound and the LotOW, along with the free download of the r
RWNN. I also got the RPG source book Cow Town Creator, wich I hope will arriwe on Monday. The last rules set we are looking at to buy is Gutshot, and I suppose we will give in and order it.
Then its up to us to create our own campaign with the rules that suit us best.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
Yes as I mentioned in my review the movement rules made no real sense to me either. Agree with you on at least making it flexible in how you are allowed to move. Most of my movement rolls landed on 8-12" so movement allowance could as well also be set to 10".

The other rules are quite interesting but I don't know if I would swap LotoW for RWNN as it is. Mainly because I play just occasionally and against a single opponent. Though I guess one could combine the best parts from both rules. But if you didn't I recommend checking out the remainder of the RWNN rules and see if there was more to them beyond the movement rule obstacle.

At the moment I have the Deadlands Rail Wars rules at hand, but they are a bit harder to get into during 1 afternoon. The books, while interesting and nice are pretty much 140 pages of constant rules. Feels a bit top heavy like Flames of War. The rules also seem more inclined towards large skirmishes on huge 4x8' tables  rather than a handful of models per side. As I read the DRW rulebook the story and setting as well as characters/factions was pretty much Malifaux on a larger and more organized scale

So next old west review will be of DRW. I'm also currently waiting for some Gladiators so I can give a proper review of the Gladiator rules.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
I think that you might be right, better to combine the two rules set. Kalle mentioned something simular earlier today when we where discussing it. It seems to be the best path.
Ah, well I will be looking forward to be reading your oppinions about those games as well.

Offline Zapasnik

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »
Did my first game of TRWNN yesterday with my girlfriend - and i have to say, we both enjoyed it very much. We even did like the moving rules. We also used the "old" version of the rules, but i´m going to order the hardcover book. TRWNN was more fun to us than LOTOW, what we played until now. I will still use LOTOW for larger fights, but for games with up to 10 models per side i will change to TRWNN.

Offline Leetje

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
Remember Chaps your able to adapt the rules as you see fit. I know that when  I play TRWNN I do.  Again with the movement which is a little clumsy.  The rest of the rules are spot on and allow for nice unpredictable play.

Offline Zapasnik

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:59 AM »
I ordered my copy yesterday. And we had our second game. Again a we had a lot of fun. We used 5 models per side (1 each of Legend, Shootist and Citizen and 2 Gunmen) and 4 Bystanders (using the rules from the modern version of TRWNN - Streetfight). It was a great and actionpacked game, recreating the tension of a gunfight with innocents running around and blocking lines of sight.