Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:42:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690781
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Attempts with Green Stuff  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
First Attempts with Green Stuff
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
As the title says I have never used GS but I have had an urge to try some basic conversions for a while now. In my next project somewhere down the line I think I will be adding lots of fur and cloaks so I figured I'd give it a go on a couple of spare figures I have lying around. Overall I'm reasonably pleased with them but please feel free to let me know what you think or give me any hints and tips.

This was the first man I tried and all I did was add a cloak, not entirely happy with him, I think the cloak is slightly too big and bulky but for a first attempt I think he'll do.

4 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

5 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

6 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

So here is the second chap, much happier with this one. I think I worked out a better consistency with the GS which made it easier to use. So far so good. I expect I'll be doing a lot more now as I really enjoyed it and got a kick from seeing the results.

2 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

1 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

3 by themarkjackson, on Flickr

C&C is always welcome and much appreciated.

Online inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
Re: First Attempts with Green Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
great job. the 2nd fig for me is the best. some pro sculptors struggle with fur and you have really pulled it off.very nice. on the first the knot in the cloak round the figs neck is excellent but to my eyes the fold in the cloak on his left side hangs a bit unnaturally. I wouldn't know how to fix it though. perhaps if the bottom of the fold was bent towards the rear it would improve the balance and sence of movement. keep going with it, you look to have some talent and I for one cant wait to see how good you are in a few months. :)
Minima maxima sunt

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
Cloaks can be tricky, not bad for a first attempt but a little too bulky and thick as you say but easy to redo

What I do is mix the GS with a little less yellow than blue and give it 20-30 mins to cure, then use either a piece of plastic (ziploc bag) or teflon sheet (get these on ebay easily) and roll it out nice and thin and even.

Then shape the main folds into the piece prior to fixing to the mini. Also get some clay shapers from your local arts and craft shop, better than dental tools and use water too. This works well for tabbards, as well as cloaks, straps and such like too.

Keep at it, when I first used millput then GS I could bearly fill the gaps I needed, now I'm sculpting new helmets, heads, limbs, weapons and such like, it's addictive once you gain your confidence too.

Good luck mate

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I found more blue than yellow worked better for me but I didn't realise this until the second mini so I struggled with the first because of the consistency. I'm going to plug at it though.

Once again thanks for the encouragement and tips.