Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Finally I have a surface to play on...almost...  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Finally I have a surface to play on...almost...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
@dave...I have considered this solution...do you fasten the MDF to the folding tables some how or just tell everyone to be careful?

Cheers,

Blue

Yes.  You can use washers and bolts with wingnuts.  Carefully drill holes through the MDF and the table (so they line up) and slip bolts through washers/mdf/table, then fasten with wignuts.  Strategically placed hollow scenery or objectives cover the bolt heads on the surface (or you can go with countersunk fasteners depending on thickness of mdf).  If you get the 6' table then a 6'X4' board only overlaps on the long sides and presents little problem.  The nice part is you can get the roll-up terrain mats and throw-em out on your fold-up tables in any room of the house and it all goes back in the closet in just a few minutes.  This prevents divorces caused by monolithic immovable tables and dedicated gaming rooms.   ;)
This is my boomstick!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
The other alternative, which I have used on my gaming board, is to just glue and screw some lengths of wood to the bottom of the MDF.
Just lay the board on the floor, flip the table over and mark the outline of the table on the MDF.
Then you can fix some lengths of wood to the bottom and the board does not move.

I did this and left a small gap so that I can put a cloth on my kitchen table first to protect it and put the board down on this.
It also makes for a tighter fit.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »
Nice guys! thanks for the info...some day when I'm flush and have more time I'll follow up on these ideas!

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
The other alternative, which I have used on my gaming board, is to just glue and screw some lengths of wood to the bottom of the MDF.
Just lay the board on the floor, flip the table over and mark the outline of the table on the MDF.
Then you can fix some lengths of wood to the bottom and the board does not move.

I did this and left a small gap so that I can put a cloth on my kitchen table first to protect it and put the board down on this.
It also makes for a tighter fit.

Great idea.  I'm going to try this next for our dining room table.  Thanks.