Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wreck Age - post-apocalypse RPG and skirmish game  (Read 7279 times)

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
Wreck Age - post-apocalypse RPG and skirmish game
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
We have about 2 weeks left for the kickstarter crowd funding project for our upcoming 28mm tabletop skirmish game... please check it out!

We've also just posted quick start rules for perusal and (hopefully) playing:
http://wreck-age.net/2011/12/16/introductory-quick-start-adventure-and-new-greens/wreck-age_theomen_layout1_3/

Wreck Age is a game/world, based on the imagination of two friends and a multitude of compatriots.

We are casting a line of metal miniatures for our 28mm post-apocalypse adventure game. These should be well-suited for post-apoc games of all shapes and sizes (well, unless you're playing 54mm or 15mm, then we can't really help you... yet). This kickstarter project is a means of speeding up production, and allowing us to get our line out to the public at a much faster rate than we'd possibly be able to otherwise.

Imagine for a moment: A Sci-fi world based on the premise that the rich and powerful have abandoned earth. 150 years ago, a mass Exodus of Seed Ships left a polluted and war-ravenged  Earth to seek out distant habitable planets. The billions left behind were forced to fend for themselves, fighting internal as well as external forces. Now, there are only a relative handful left. The population levels of Earth mimic that of the Stone Age, and in some cases, so do the inhabitants. Technology is scarce, and true knowledge is even more-so. History is passed down by word-of mouth, or gleaned from found data sources.

A sci-fi world akin to Mad Max meets Blade Runner meets The Road. Inspired in part by; Tank Girl, Omega Man, 12 Monkeys, Book of Eli, Escape from New York, Dune by Frank Herbert, The Suns of Scorpio by Alan Burt Akers, A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, the Stand by Steven King, The Native Tongue trilogy by Suzette Haden Elgin, The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, and the Book of Dave by Will Self.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/wreck-age-a-far-future-dystopian-post-exodus-adven
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:12:12 PM by therepoman »
post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wreck Age - post-apocalypse RPG and skirmish game
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
Looks like an interesting project :)

I've signed in ;)

Offline nb246

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
Looks cool and interesting. I'm in.

Offline HRE Joseph III

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »
Pledged, Looks really cool. good luck with it.
Holy Roman Emperor Joseph III
Rex Germanorum

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
Pledged, Looks really cool. good luck with it.

Thank you!

Looks cool and interesting. I'm in.

Thank you!

Looks like an interesting project :)

I've signed in ;)

And thank you!

We're really excited that after so much time and effort put into it, that we can finally unveil some of our plans to the public.

I really do appreciate your support. Expect to see a lot more by the end of the year.

Offline captain apathy

• Librarian
  • whatever...
    • Captain Apathy's Secret Lab
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
I love the kickstarter concept and this looks like a neat idea.  Can you tell us anything about the rules and the number and types of minis planned?  General concepts are fine if you don't want to let too much info out.  Thanks.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »
I love the kickstarter concept and this looks like a neat idea.  Can you tell us anything about the rules and the number and types of minis planned?  General concepts are fine if you don't want to let too much info out.  Thanks.

There will be 6-10 models for 4 factions hopefully by next summer. We have 4 other factions waiting in the wings, but we're still developing background and canon on our initial 4.

By the end of next year, we hope to have several animal or human powered vehicles done as well.

We tried to work in a scale that would fit well between the old "chunky" style of many lines, but that was more realistic without looking tiny.

Our goal has been to create an all-human game (no super mutants, no zombies, no aliens) that has diverse and detailed communities.

The game has some strong long-term strategy elements... Basically, the default play-mode will be resource and information gathering campaigns.

Combat is designed to be fast and quite deadly. Some of our playtesters have said that we might be skirting the line of having things be too deadly, but rarely do people take a bullet to the chest and keep fighting.

What we wanted to do, was give people incentive to communicate, trade, and search for things without creating a hack and slash. There are board-game and strategy game elements to it, and in some ways, we're trying to make this a tabletop RTS game.

That said, there we didn't want the combat rules to be boring, and have put a lot of time into testing them out and seeing what feels right.

The combat rules have been out for a while, and we've released them to a few people for playtesting. Here are the basics:

There are 2 main things that I wanted to accomplish with the combat resolution system; First, I want to create a system in which combat is useful, but not the only form of interaction/contact with opposing forces. Basically, I’d like for you to be able to go into a situation such as a trade negotiation with a hostile force prepared for battle, but not always having that be the outcome. Sometimes, you’d use your skills of negotiation to pull off a better deal, and sometimes, you’d pull out your revolvers and let them have it for trying to swindle you out of that case of dusty glass jars that you were trying to get rid of.

I’m writing the system to allow for very quick and brutal combat. I’m doing this for two reasons; One, because no matter how well-trained a person is, a bullet is probably going to put them in a bad spot, if not kill them. If you initiate or engage in a firefight, you are very likely to lose valuable resources, most importantly, human lives.

I basically want the feel of the world to walk a fine line between valuing life, and having life be expendable and cheap.

The other main reason that I’m writing the system to be down and dirty, is because I don’t want people playing the RPG to spend half of their gaming session on one firefight… However, the other side of that coin is that I also want there to be a high level of detail and ability to have a character do just about anything that they want within the framework of the system.

The RPG and tabletop game are going to have the rules seamlessly integrate. The only main difference is that there are going to be more skills and abilities in the RPG.

Here’s the (very) basic rundown:

Characteristics are rated from 1 to 6 (Except for Power, weapons can have a higher rating than 6).

There are 7 characteristics, these make up the general nature of each model/character:

Action Points (AP) indicate the amount of actions that a character can take each turn. The more AP, the more things a character can do and react to before it all re-sets and goes into the next turn. Every action (shooting, moving, negotiating, scavaging, etc) takes AP, most only take 1, some take multiple, or even all (such as clearing a jammed weapon). You choose what your actions are going to be before the start of each turn, but you can withhold some AP to react to circumstances.

Movement (M) indicates how fast a character moves. The movement characteristic is added to a random die roll and this is how far the character can move in inches. I realize that the random movement is something that some people will take issue with, but I didn't want people to always determine exactly where they were going to be on board.

Fighting (F) is how well a character is at close-quarters brawling/combat, both armed and un-armed.

Shooting (S) is how well a character handles a firearm.

Power (P) is how hard a character dish it out, and how well they can take it. When a character is hit by an attack, they counter with a Power check (made by rolling dice against this characteristic). Each success the character makes against their Power characteristic will negate one of the opponents successes. As you can see, having a high power can come in handy… however, it doesn’t make someone invincible, as there are many weapons in the game that can do more than 6 dice of damage in a turn (meaning that you’re going to be in serious trouble if hit by one).

Nerves (N) indicate how well you keep your confidence in a bad situation… be it a firefight, or facing the watchful eyes of a Warlord’s entourage when entering their domain… Having a high nerves characteristic will allow a character to fight off the effects of suppression (which happens in stressful situations like combat, although it can happen in other cases as well).

Wits (W) are a combination of charisma, intelligence, street smarts, and mental stability. Wits are an indication of how well a character can talk their way out of a sticky situation, and how well they’re able to barter.

Everything is based off of these characteristics. If you want to do something, you have to have Action Points available, and you spend those action points (which replenish every turn) to use the characteristics to act, be it shooting, running, trading, or searching an ancient crash site for pieces of old world technology.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
Well the artwork is pretty impressive, but feel I need to see far more info and detail of the structure before I'd commit to it as I've got quite picky about rulebooks and rule mechanics.

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that this is the same Wreck Age that is going to be demoed at Adepticon?  Might have to stop by and check it out.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that this is the same Wreck Age that is going to be demoed at Adepticon?  Might have to stop by and check it out.

It is indeed.

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Well the artwork is pretty impressive, but feel I need to see far more info and detail of the structure before I'd commit to it as I've got quite picky about rulebooks and rule mechanics.

That's understandable. We'll have quickstart rules finished and posted up on our site within the next month or so.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
That's understandable. We'll have quickstart rules finished and posted up on our site within the next month or so.
That sounds good, looking forwards to it.
Duncan

Offline captain apathy

• Librarian
  • whatever...
    • Captain Apathy's Secret Lab
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
Thank you for the additional information.  And good idea with the quick start rules.  That should help folks who are on the fence.  Good luck.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
Is that Roland Deschain and Jake in the opening shot? Nice drawing of my favorite series 8).
I'll wait until the product is final. Personally, I'm not a fan of the kickstarter thing.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »
Play-testing will re-open next week. If anyone is interested in checking out the beta version of the combat rules, please sign up for our forums:
http://wreck-age.proboards.com/

There will be additional community rules that we'll be Beta-testing in the near future.

Also, our kickstarter just got half-way funded... all in a week.

Thanks to everyone who has given us support so far, monetary or otherwise!