Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:24:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New steampunk/VSF rules from Osprey  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: New steampunk/VSF rules from Osprey
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
I do have a question on balance vs fig count. I believe the blurb says 4-15 figures a side, is this geared at similar numbers per side, so a quick game is 4-5 figs each and a longer game is 12-15 figs each? Or is it 'power level' (for want of a better term) based, so you could have 4-5 'investigators' with great equipment and powers facing off against an Evil Villain and his 14 mooks?

There is a universal points system so that each figure is costed based upon its attributes, special abilities, arms, armour and other equipment.  This system is included in the rules so that people can design their own teams as well as using those listed in the book. There is a common and clear arithmetic progression in the points for the different aspects of a figure ensuring that the cost reflects the capability and lethality of each figure.

So you could indeed have a small team of real heavyweights up against a much more numerous team with one 'boss' and a gang of 'minions'. However, even the toughest figure can be taken down by weaker enemies if they can work well together.  There are no GW Deathstar Stompy Independent Characters of Death in these rules  :o

Having more than two players, and thus more than two teams will extend gameplay, as will the choice a depth of the scenario that you play and the landscape you play it across.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Good to know thanks. I shall look forward to giving it a try, as these boards show, we're pretty prolific with our gaming :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
@ Craig

Will it also be possible to create "Non-Human" warbands/characters, like Færies/Sidhe, Ratmen etc. ?

Right now it sounds like a system which should suit my needs, really looking forward to it :)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
Will it also be possible to create "Non-Human" warbands/characters, like Færies/Sidhe, Ratmen etc. ?

I cannot currently comment on the planned Companies that will be included in the rules.

That said the points system should allow you to cost pretty much anything by combining the costs of the figure's individual attributes, abilities and equipment.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
I cannot currently comment on the planned Companies that will be included in the rules.

That said the points system should allow you to cost pretty much anything by combining the costs of the figure's individual attributes, abilities and equipment.

Great :D
So, that's a "Yes" in my ears ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
Must say, while I've had little luck actually getting games started in my store, there's been a lot of interest in TW, including one person seeing it as a possible replacement for 40K. Only one voice, but given the clientele...

Hope this can be as tempting!

I'm a bit tired of two evil, alien overlords; a third would be a most pleasant diversion.  lol

Doug

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »

Milord Varangian, no playtests have yet been scheduled, but expressing interest here may get you a place if and when we decide to go ahead with such simulations.

Well hell, that's a start!

I'm in serious need for a solid set of rules that does what this one looks to. I would most especially like it if it does both nautical and aeronautical as well.