Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:36:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BEF Trench Catapults?  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
BEF Trench Catapults?
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
Trench Catapults were ostensibly used before the advent of mortars in 1915.

Does anyone have a photo of one of these? I need to model one for my 1914 BEF for The Great War. Also, what sort of ordinance/grenades/mines would be catapulted by such a contraption? ???
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline pyrrhicvictory

• Assistant
Re: BEF Trench Catapults?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:41 AM »
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but I hope it helps.  I think I read somewhere that troops at Gallipoli used to launch jam-tin bombs with them; perhaps troops on the Western Front did a similar thing, I can only guess.    
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:03:04 AM by pyrrhicvictory »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
I need to model one for my 1914 BEF for The Great War.

I'm afraid the Leach catapult wasn't introduced until March 1915 (supplied by the department store Gamages of London), so it isn't any good for a 1914 force. Before that all you have is a myriad of different improvised designs constructed at the front, such as 'pipe guns' made from iron water pipes, one end of which was buried in the ground and which fired improvised jam tin bombs. Don't have any details or pictures, I'm afraid.

But if you want one anyway, what scale figures do you use? There are actually two different Leach catapult kits available in 28mm. Great War Miniatures do one with a Western Front crew (available from North Star) and Woodbine Designs make one with a crew dressed for the Dardanelles.

Another pic of C.P. Leach's catapult:

Another option for a scratch-build is Captain West's 'Spring Gun', which fired Mills bombs and other projectiles:

Both of these came into use in 1915 and production of them ceased by the spring of 1916, as better options such as the Toffee Apple mortar and the Stokes had rendered them obsolete.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Thanks guys. I think I'll whip up something similar in shape to the Leach catapult using plastic tubing to mimic the pipes. I find dental tape (a kind of floss) will look good as the elastic slings. I'll have to see. Luckily there are no photos of the original pipe slingshots, so no one will see how silly and inaccurate my contraption looks.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:22:07 PM by Bowman »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Someone makes one of these in 28mm with crew... can't recall who though. Helpful I know...  ::)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
Someone makes one of these in 28mm with crew... can't recall who though. Helpful I know...  ::)

Great War Miniatures in their early war range

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
Yes, as Plynkes said, both Woodbine and Great War build a Leach catapult. I built a pipe-tube catapult instead. Poor range and accuracy, as one can imagine. Thanks, guys.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Yes, as Plynkes said, both Woodbine and Great War build a Leach catapult. I built a pipe-tube catapult instead. Poor range and accuracy, as one can imagine. Thanks, guys.

Come on, we need Photographic evidence  :D