Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WWW2 US AirCav?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
WWW2 US AirCav?
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:56:32 AM »
What models would be needed to represent them? I was thinking about using models of the helicopters from M*A*S*H (the name and designation escape me right now).

Offline Aldramelech

• Librarian
Re: WWW2 US AirCav?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:37 AM »
Three helicopter types were used in Korea:

Sikorsky H-5, HO3S-1

Sikorsky YH-19, H-19, HRS-1

Bell H-13, HTL-4 (which is the one you were thinking of)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
Use the WWII-era copters.
US R-4 Hoverfly
US R-5

If you want dedicated troops transports for the US, the earliest would be the H-21 Shawnee/Workhorse but better know as the "flying banana"

All can can be bought in 1/48 or 1/72.  The 1/48 kits are a bit more rare so they tend to cost a bit.

Brian

R-4

R-5

H-21

Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
Helicopters are rather post war - I'd go with ASAAC autogyros

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Helicopters are rather post war - I'd go with ASAAC autogyros

::) Well, the R-5, and R-4 were developed during the war, with the R-4 actually being used in the Pacific as a S&R bird. Although, it looks like an utogyro could be ued for recon purposes.

(I wonder...... Could I make weird war modifications for Flames of War?)

Offline basaint

• Scientist
  • Gamer, creator...In AZ
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
maybe bash a r-5 into a longer shell then it could be a small transport.

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
That was what I was thinking of doin', however, I can't work on the actual minis yet. I have been drawing "concept art". lol

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:05 AM »
The R-5 was used for search ad rescue with it's maiden flight in 1943 and in testing through the war.  It's conceivable it would of been in full use for a Weird War Scenario.  It was outfitted to carry two stretchers on the exterior.  So perhaps having Special Forces platform instead for quick in and out missions.

Were making  kits of German gear that was just wood mockups in 1945.  I'd think anything used the the early 1950's would be fair game.

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think taking the Hearts of Iron II route, and making early-'50s stuff.

Offline Phil_McCrackin

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:13 AM »
I could see R5's being used like littlebirds.  Rangers or whoever riding on seats on the outside - a quick land with the commandos jumping off and the bird taking off again, maybe being covered by a gunship version that has a couple M1919/AN-M2 in a pod above the skid

I can almost see a Black Hawk Down type scenario.  Platoon of rangers trapped behind the lines trying to capture nazi officials, surrounded by hostile yet very green Volkssturm units.  Supported by R5's doing gun-runs to try to open up a corridor for supporting infantry on Jeeps to break through to the rangers.
Member of the Our Lady of Perpetual Rugged Adventure. On death we will be judged by the triumvirate. Tintin will decide if he would write about us. Indiana Jones, if he would travel with us, and Jesus if our adventures were righteous. Amen.

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 01:17:54 AM »
I could see R5's being used like littlebirds.  Rangers or whoever riding on seats on the outside - a quick land with the commandos jumping off and the bird taking off again, maybe being covered by a gunship version that has a couple M1919/AN-M2 in a pod above the skid

I can almost see a Black Hawk Down type scenario.  Platoon of rangers trapped behind the lines trying to capture nazi officials, surrounded by hostile yet very green Volkssturm units.  Supported by R5's doing gun-runs to try to open up a corridor for supporting infantry on Jeeps to break through to the rangers.

<.<

>.>

^.^

I might have to steal that idea. lol

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
Although I got my US Heliborne troops I still haven't committed to my US helos yet but below are my German Heliborne commandos.  x2 FA 223 transports and a FL 282 for recon along with 2 Luther Class armored mechanical walkers (hauled by the Dragons) and commandos.  Although I'm pushing the troop capability for the Dragons a bit with 11 w/Pilot and hauling a Luther, it in theory is a all helo-tranported army.  The 282 hold a crew of two so I made some ground minis of them as FOs for German guided munitions.  They land behind enemy lines, hump it in the bush and call down some Fritz Xs for ground use.

I hope to buy a  Special Hobby H-21 Shawnee and a R-4 but gotta pay that rent and medical bills and such first.  Those H-21s can carry a understrength platoon in their guts so if your playing Axis, be sure to use those quad-20s and plaster them first and if those are your birds you better smoke that board before you come in.

Brian

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 02:53:33 AM »
That army makes me jealous, even though they are Axis. ;)
Thank you for the words of wisdom, I'll have to check out those kits from Special Hobby.

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »
As it is weird world war 2 , couldn't aircav be on pegasus horses?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »
As it is weird world war 2 , couldn't aircav be on pegasus horses?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that in WW2, there were only Pegasus bridges, not horses.

;)  lol

@Topic:

The helicopter assault concept is so intriguing - I have to admit I took the easy way out and went for a flying saucer in the first place.

But if you want something to carry the mechs, you might take a look at the FA-284:

A conceptual design, but theoretically feasible and plausible for a "longer war" approach - also, it looks like it could carry a mech or two, or you could equip the mech with disposable wings or parakites to be towed by the helicopter or a converted JU-52... Unfortunately, you would have to scratchbuild the FA-284 in your scale (I actually started one, but the approach (XPS styrofoam) wasn't durable enough).