Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In search of critters... Sourcing 28mm oddities.  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
In search of critters... Sourcing 28mm oddities.
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »
After a healthy discussion with a player, that may or may not have resulted in a TPK, I've found myself expanding my collection of roleplay miniatures to encompass the great outdoors. Not just the dingy dungeons and caverns we all know and love...
To give me some idea of what miniatures I would need, I took the low level random dungeon encounters from the Pathfinder Bestiary and swapped out the critters for woodland beasts and monsters. The table can be found in my first blog post http://wandering-monsters.blogspot.com/2011/11/roll-for-initiative.html

Most of the miniatures I've already managed to source, through Otherworld, Red Box Games and a healthy spattering of everyone's favourite, Reaper... But a few critters elude me.

Firstly, Badgers.
I've found these two from Reaper... Pics aren't great but from what I've seen they look quite nice. Anyway, I need 6 of them so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Goblin Dogs.
From anyone who has played through any of the Paizo paths involving Goblins would have encountered these things. I included them before I had decided to use the RBG Goblins and was still using the Pathfinder Gobbos from Reaper. Some strange amalgamation of goblin, rat and dog they are really not pretty.
Was thinking of the Goblin Wolf from Reaper, but they remind me more of a Barghest than anything else. Thinking I might ditch the goblin dogs and find something else.

Asssasin Vine.
Well that's done it. I need a carnivorous plant. Any suggestions? No ideas here... Thinking the greenstuff may get a work out.

Boars & Dire Boar
I've been looking at Reaper for the direboar of which they have a few options. But I'm drawing a blank on some plain old boars.

Grizzly Bear
Reaper do a lovely dire bear which might get a work out, but I'd rather something a little more friendly and save that sculpt for when I unleash the dire bears. Ideas?

Although this bear from the animal companion pack looks a little smaller and friendlier?

Tiger
Another one that I can't seem to find any generic tiger minis, short of the Foundry pack that is. Reaper has 3 or 4 different Sabertooth Tigers, but no plain Tiger. This is another one I might ditch, I only really included it in the list so I could chuckle everytime I grabbed him out about Tigers in Africa *chuckle* "A tiger? In Africa?" "Well yes... Must have escaped from a zoo." *chortle*

Forest Drake
Finally, the one that I'm pretty certain I'm going to have to just get a dragon for... The Bestiary 2 illustrates them as stunted green dragons with no fore-limbs, only powerful hind legs and wings. Although I suspect I'll end up finding a green dragon and just using him as both a Forest Drake and a juvenile Green Dragon. Anyway, dragon-like suggestions please gents? :)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: In search of critters... Sourcing 28mm oddities.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
You might just want to go ahead and look at plastic toys. Almost everything you are looking for can be found in near perfect scale in some plastic toy set some where. You might even find some critters that you didn't even know you wanted. You can get a bag full of plastics for the cost of 1 metal figure.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: In search of critters... Sourcing 28mm oddities.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »

Goblin Dogs.
From anyone who has played through any of the Paizo paths involving Goblins would have encountered these things. I included them before I had decided to use the RBG Goblins and was still using the Pathfinder Gobbos from Reaper. Some strange amalgamation of goblin, rat and dog they are really not pretty.

GW's plastic LotR-film wargs, perhaps?

Grizzly Bear
Reaper do a lovely dire bear which might get a work out, but I'd rather something a little more friendly and save that sculpt for when I unleash the dire bears. Ideas?

Gripping Beast?

Tiger

Minifigs?
Back from the dead, almost.