Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:03:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best price on tufts?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Best price on tufts?
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
So I don't really have any experience with tufts because the bases I normally use can't be decorated (the figure stats need to remain visible after all).

I would like to pick up some tufts to add to my terrain (and maybe figures - but mostly terrain) and am trying to get some fairly decent quality and quantity. A local railroad shop has the Noch tufts for $12 CAD a packet, but there's only about 40 x 2 tufts per package (you get two colours). I'd like to try and get some variation in sizes and colours, as in this picture.

I did a quick search into some of the older threads, but I don't think there were any straight up price comparisons (and of course any prices listed in really old threads are probably out of date). What would you folks say is the best bag for buck? I would probably have to buy online, but if it's a railroad product, there are actually three model railroad stores I can get to, so maybe one could order it for me (saving me shipping costs).

From reading online, it seems most folks tend towards the Noch or the Silflor* as the best quality so I guess I ought to go with one of them? Any other recommendations?

*I'm not sure Silflor is sold under that name in North America? I think Army Painter and Silflor are actually the same thing? Is that correct?

Thanks!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
Re: Best price on tufts?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
There is also Fredericus Rex that has a pretty good selection and I believe that they are cheaper. I use them for some things and they work well but the Siflor/Noch ones have a bit higher quality imo.

And yes Army painter is just repackaged siflor, or so I've been told. I get most of my tufts from Antenocitis Workshop and they have from all three companies.

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
I can't help you with a price comparison but I've seen Silfor sampler packs at Scenery Express for 6$ US.  Seems affordable enough to grab a couple different colors.  They also have the big sheets with more than you'll ever need.

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1232

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
In NA Scenery express is the way to go...the sampler packs are good...but the full packs....while expensive...are the best deal.  One thing that I was unaware of when I bought them was that the full packs of Silflor tufts some with both 6mm and 4mm tufts.  The 4 mm are MUCH more useful for 28mm figures IMO.  I bought Two full packs in different colors and have since based many dozen figures...I've barely put a dent in those packs...they are HUGE.

Let us know what you settle on...the subject of tufts is always interesting to me.

Oh yeah...and all all cost AVOID Army Painter...they cut packs of Silflor in half and double the price...no me gusto!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:08:56 AM »
The initial release from Fredericus-Rex was a bit bland.  However, the newer stuff has a couple different fiber colors that give it more depth.  The biggest benefit though is that they come much, much taller than those from Silflor (up to 18 mm tall versus about half that for Silflor).  You also have Model-Scene (haven't used them myself though).  7x11 sheet as opposed to 8x12.  It also is only $18 versus $24 though.

In terms of where to buy to get the best value for those of us on this side of the pond...Senic Express is the way to go.  You can snag a bit of the other supplies that we use (trees, static grass and what not).  They have great service and great prices.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
Those Scenic Express sampler packs with 70-100 tufts are perfect for wargamers - that's a LOT of figure bases and accompanying terrain for us!

More things to pencil onto The List for when my gaming budget allows! Why are there always more toys than dollars?  ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
Are the sampler packs the ones that are 4 sheets at $24.99?  Or do you mean the sheets at $5.99? They actually have a number of tuft products with the "sample" tag on their website.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:46:21 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
The sample packs are $5.99 and they come with one size.  The "full" packs are much large sheets and come with both 4mm and 6mm tufts.  check out his picture:

The two sheets on the left are 1 Full pack of late fall tufts (6mm on top, 4mm on bottom)...the little sheet on the right is what you get in the Army Painter pack (partially used)...the Scenic Express Sample pack is about 1/2 again as big as the AP pack.

You will have to invest some money to get a decent amount but they last a long time.

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Big Sexy

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »
Thanks for the comparison shots.  Really helps to see what your getting.

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »
One other thing that I have been thinking about trying out is to use the sheets that they make:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MN71929

Comes with grass and a ground texture.  Should be able to cut out a circle and attach it to the base - little bit of fiddling around for attaching the miniature (once I get it on hand I will know for sure - but you should be able to cut a slot for the miniature to slip into).  The backing is supposed to be flexible, so it should be able to form around integral bases and feet on slotted figures.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »