Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building an Orc ballista  (Read 4164 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Building an Orc ballista
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
I thought I'd share my prototype ballista design which I intended for use with my 28mm LotR figures. What started off life as a means to use up the extra bits from the Zvezda siege engines kit rapidly grew into a more ambitious project. I liked the look of the 'mantlet' style mini by GW but I noticed several design features that made their kit less than portable. The addition of wheels under the mantlet seemed a fundamental improvement to the design, as was a simplified support and aiming structure for the weapon. I took my design cues from Chinese and Classical ballista designs to arrive at the current marque. I wanted to achieve a robust and simple yet efficient looking design without any fancy embellishment. This is after all a functional war machine made by a culture not noted for its artistic excellence.

The first step was to model a mantlet using flat balsa with card strips to simulate the metal reinforces. To this I will add the heads of railway track pins as nail/bolt heads into predrilled holes.

The next stage was to add a 5mm thick beam at the base to be the main axle for the wheels. This was glued in place with a central notch cut for the trailing T bar support strut. A hole was predrilled to take a track pin which will act as a central securing bolt for the T bar. The underside of the T bar was beveled and may ultimately have a 'metal' skid or shoe added out of card.

Suitable reinforcing card strapwork was applied to the mantlet and wrapped around the ends of the axle. Holes for the axles were drilled and Zvezda mantlet wheels glued in place using stub axles of brass rod.

A thick beam of balsa/obeche wood ws used as a suitable tiller for the crossbow, with a stepped front which hooked over the slot in the mantlet. A cut out (to reduce the weight and to take the vertical support strut) was modelled on the underside. The rear of the stock was rounded as in several Chinese examples. A longitudinal groove was carefully scribed using a blunt pencil and scalpel. The Zvezda ballista bolt was then glued in place.
Behind this a trigger mechanism was made out of a piece of scrap plastic - in this case the spiked collar from a GW lizardman spear. The spike was notched to create the double trigger and the underside shaped to fit into the groove of the slide.

The site of the bow staves was 'reinforced' using a U shaped panel of card to which the GW bow staves were glued. A leaf spring of card strips or other design could equally be used. Fuse or florists wire will be used as a bow string. I may model reinforcing rope bindings around the junction as seen on several historical examples.

The winding gear was made up from cylindrical scraps of plastic sprue with holes drilled for the levers and stub axle. The whole assembly was then glued in place.

The vertical support strut was glued in place against a strip of thin brass carefully folded around the T bar intended to suggest a hinge-like arrangement. A pin head will complete the effect. The pointed end of the strut was modelled to fit into the step, but in reality would have engaged on toothed grooves on the underside of the tiller to facilitate aiming.

Once the whole design had been set and suitable materials sourced, assembly to this stage took a little over an hour. I have sufficient materials to make a battery of three war machines.

The whole thing is designed to fit on a 50mm x 50mm base and will have suitable spent arrows and other scenic additions etc. modelled. The crew are intended to be separately based minis.  
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Building an Orc ballista
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »
Very nice job.  One thing that might make it pop is to make the torsion boxes on the sides. 

It looks great now, but that would make it really ping.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
I had considered using torsion springs but opted for the mechanically simpler design... My Haradrim have all the good kit!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »
After some minor modifications - replacing the bow staves with brass strip to make a more 'powerful' steel spring, I now have six ready for painting

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
 :o

That's an impressive collection of seige engines!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Whatever they're up against, it's gonna end up as a pincushion... lol

Very nice work indeed. Is that a Mordor Eye design on the front? 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:46 AM »
They look very impressive! Well done!

Any paint on them yet?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »
Very nice  8)

One thing though, I'd try and straighten the wire that's used for the bowstring as it looks a little slack.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
I agree - the slackness of the strings bugs me a little but the glue-bond is not strong enough to take any more tension.
All are now painted but not based. I'll post pics shortly

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
I agree - the slackness of the strings bugs me a little but the glue-bond is not strong enough to take any more tension.
All are now painted but not based. I'll post pics shortly

I know they are painted now but could you use thin cotton thread?

cheers

James

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
I once had the same problem with a warmachine I built. So I finally ended up using measured and preshaped materials for the bowstring. It then was straight as an arrow ( :D ) and looked as if it was completely taut. I used the same material as for the bowstring to make some wrappings around the bow ends, where the bowstring attached, to make it look like it was one piece. Worked remarkably well.

Of course I then had the issue of having assembled the whole lot in such a way that the string and bow arms were taut, but the arrow all the way to the front, creating a contraption that could not even move the bolt even off the dang warmachine, let alone into an enemy... ::)

But that's not even remotely relevant here... ;)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
Great looking warmachines, and I am quite sure it will look fantastic on the wargaming table! Woe to the enemy facing these.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
these look great. even more so with a line of them!
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio