Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pirates Raid Coast and Capture New Base  (Read 7255 times)

Offline R A Norton

• Assistant
    • http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/human37a/
Pirates Raid Coast and Capture New Base
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:46:37 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Information about the miniatures:

The government troops in the white uniforms are from Old Glory – The Wars of Marlborough range.
The ones with the dark red coats are from the Marlborough range of Wargames Foundry.  They were all painted by Fernando Enterprises – The $1.50 price.

Most of the pirates are from the Foundry range – painted by our group members, Fernando – and a few Ebay purchases.  There are a few pirates from the Old Glory Army pirate of the month club.  I’ve just recently painted some of the European sailors from the Old Glory pirate range – there were a couple of those guys in the game.  (These are the ones with head and hand variants.)

The guys defending the brick wall are from the Foundry pirate range.

The civilians/militia are from the Old Glory pirate range.  I highly recommended OGP-20, Fat Governor and his Creepy Assistants – a great set!

Info about the ships:

The origin of the largest one is a mystery to us.  One of our guys has had it for about 10 years and can’t remember where he got it?  Maybe somebody can tell us.
The 2 medium ones are from Flagship games – most of our ships are from these guys.  
The smaller ship was purchased from The London War Room at Historicon (If I remember correctly?) – We added the sail to it.

The buildings were mostly scratch-built by me.  There was also a resin building from 1st Corps – I think – and a plastic kit from Italeri?

The store we play at is Game Empire in San Diego, CA.  It carries Warhammer, FOW, Role-Playing, boardgames, etc.  And a rack of Woodland Scenics – though it doesn’t seem to sell much?  No historical stuff.  
We play every Tuesday night – if you find yourself in San Diego – come on by and roll some dice with us.

Cheers,
Rich

P.S.  The sheep were put to good use!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the detailed information.

Looks like the Foundry and Old Glory stuff scales up pretty well then.  Those Malburian troops work nicely and look like they paint up easily as well.
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
None too shabby.
Exactly the sort of game I like to play myself.  :wink:
I like your buildings. Nice work.

Personally speaking, can't be doing with the OG pirates though. They scale in okay with Will Hannah's excellent and characterful Foundry range, but some of them are pretty crude sculpts with odd poses and misshapen limbs. I bought a couple of bags and had to discard half of them. Just not good enough.

Now the new Black Scorpion and Brigade ranges - they are masterly. You should check them out.

Generally speaking though, as we all know, you can never have too many pirates.  :mrgreen:

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 10:27:46 PM »
Aren't the Black Scorpion ones pretty big?  I haven't seen any in person.  I have some of Brigades minis from their other ranges and they scale with Foundry pretty well.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
Quote from: "The Hooded Claw"
Aren't the Black Scorpion ones pretty big?  I haven't seen any in person.  I have some of Brigades minis from their other ranges and they scale with Foundry pretty well.

I agree they are big beasties though one or two wouldnt go a miss as tall pirates. The Brigade ones look lovely and are sculpted by Paul Hicks

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »
Yes, the Black Scorpion figs are well over 30mm, so wouldn't scale too well. The poses are also a bit static, if you know what I mean - all in kind of 'standing still' rather than 'active' poses. But the level of detail and character in every figure is just outstanding...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 10:28:22 PM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
But the real question is... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SHEEP?  :lol:

Do you REALLY want to know that....?   :P

Capital setup and game. Somehow reminds me of 'The Crimson Pirate' (love that movie!!)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:37 PM »
That is realy amazing stuff !!!! I wish I haven´t see it now I must paint my pirates but I must do a lot more stuff for my Lost World table at the tactica show ,what can I do now  :?

We play every Tuesday night – if you find yourself in San Diego – come on by and roll some dice with us.

after see these game ,I surely do it  :D
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708