Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690861
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Fistful of Lead] Westwood...1,000 Popsicle sticks!  (Read 23373 times)

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
Re: [Fistful of Lead] Westwood...1,000 Popsicle sticks!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 05:49:08 AM »
Love the Blue Moon civilians. Great town mate.

The other week at work we had these wooden coffee stirrers that were  about 5mm wide. They would make perfect planking.  even better than popsicle sticks I think - Time for an experiment methinks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:55:14 AM by Brian Smaller »

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »
No, those look great painted. Really hides the popsicle sticks and completes the illusion of an old west town.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
I agree - there was something 'boomtown'-ish over the raw wood, but the paintjob does make the buildings look more like th etypical iconic wild west towns from many a movie.  :)

Where are the 'parked' horses from, if I may ask? I have some Knuckleduster ones with saddles, but these look much like better sculpts/casts.  8)

I'll be pulling out my Whitewash City for some Fistful of Lead games any day soon, now (this thread made me purchase the rules), and although paper buildings don't give the same backdrop as a fully scratch-built or resin town, I'll have to settle for them for now; I may be without a job from February 1st, and means will then be scarce (and I DO need some civilians to get in the way of gunfights  ;)).

Is the ground some kind of felt cloth? Nice colour!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
I agree - there was something 'boomtown'-ish over the raw wood, but the paintjob does make the buildings look more like th etypical iconic wild west towns from many a movie.  :)

Where are the 'parked' horses from, if I may ask? I have some Knuckleduster ones with saddles, but these look much like better sculpts/casts.  8)

I'll be pulling out my Whitewash City for some Fistful of Lead games any day soon, now (this thread made me purchase the rules), and although paper buildings don't give the same backdrop as a fully scratch-built or resin town, I'll have to settle for them for now; I may be without a job from February 1st, and means will then be scarce (and I DO need some civilians to get in the way of gunfights  ;)).

Is the ground some kind of felt cloth? Nice colour!

I got the horses at a store called Kmart in the USA.  They have these little plastic boxes with 6 plastic figures for about $4 USD.  They have other ones, bugs, dinosaurs, farm animals, but most of the scales are way off...the horses are pretty close to being right...and at less than a dollar apiece they are nice and cheap.

The pigs and the hound are all Megaminiatures, but the cow is also from a cheap kids plastic animal set I found at another store.  It wasn't such a good deal since I only used the one cow.

The cloth is just a piece of material I picked out from a fabric store.  Originally I was just going to get a piece of light brown felt...but then I saw this pattern that looked just like sand, so I picked up a couple yards for $14.  Nice and light and should be easy to transport.  The only problem is I cant seem to iron out the creases.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
Oh, the covered wagon is also from a kids plastic wild west set.  IT was the only thing even close to scale...but $7 for a covered wagon was a lot cheaper than the price of "real" miniatures.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
Thanks.

For ironing, try soaking the fabric with a little water first - it sometimes helps.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »
Love the Blue Moon civilians.

Yeah, great figures.  I used to be a pretty good painter, but once I turned 40 a few years back my eyesight has been hurting.  It doesn't bother me for anything but painting miniatures.  I just can't get the figures into focus.  I've started using reading glasses, but it's still hard to get the brush exactly where I want it.  In addition, my hands seem to have gotten just a tad shakes when painting.  Not BAD or anything, but when painting tiny figures, the slightest little shake is pretty detrimental.  As a result my painting style has been sort of reduced to blocking out colors, a little dry rushing and some washes.  It produces serviceable figures fast...but doesn't give any showpieces that wow miniature gamers.

Weird thing is I'm OK with it.  I remember years back I used to see some of the old Warhammer miniatures by the original players.  There was something cool about the rudementary paint jobs that I really liked the look of...now I'm painting that way myself and I sort of like the look.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Guess I can get started on these now!  24 dismounted and 24 mounted figures.  6 Factions, 4 characters each. :eek:

Offline Bullethead

• Assistant
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
An entire respectable town in a VERY short time - and on to the gaming.  I bow to your awesome building acumen!  Holy crap!  Keep up the good work.  Awesome eye candy for a Thanksgiving Day!
Bullethead

"Never underestimate my ability to make a bad situation worse."

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
once I turned 40 a few years back my eyesight has been hurting.  It doesn't bother me for anything but painting miniatures.  I just can't get the figures into focus. 

I experienced exactly the same about a year ago, and I've started wearing reading glasses for hobby work (and reading), too. Luckily, my eyes are totally standard, so I can use the cheap, pre-made ones, and I do find it a great help.

I reckon, all those mounted/dismounted minis are from Old Glory? Can't wait to see them painted and in action!  8)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
I reckon, all those mounted/dismounted minis are from Old Glory? Can't wait to see them painted and in action!  8)

Yeah, used to be Westwind.  I'm not sure if Old Glory bought them out or is just a distributor(??).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »
Yeah, used to be Westwind.  I'm not sure if Old Glory bought them out or is just a distributor(??).

Westwind doesn't seem to carry the Cowboy Wars line anymore, so probably sold off.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
Old Glory do indeed still carry that range. I brought a whole passel of them a few months ago. Awesome models.  I mount them on 25mm round magnetised bases from Gale Force Nine games.

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
Excellent stuff ,inspired me to use all those coffee stirers I've liberated .Like the buildings unpainted but think its made them just a tad better painting them also how many days in a wisconsin week ,we only get 7 here in the u.k  ;)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Excellent stuff ,inspired me to use all those coffee stirers I've liberated .Like the buildings unpainted but think its made them just a tad better painting them also how many days in a wisconsin week ,we only get 7 here in the u.k  ;)

I've always had a reputation for working fast (maybe its a gift  ;)) Funny thing is that I only spend "spare" time.  It's not like I work on it from the time I get up to when I go to bed...usually it's a hour here or an hour there.