Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686497
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial Barracks 2011 – A Success  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Liliburlero

• Assistant
    • Sergeants 3
Colonial Barracks 2011 – A Success
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:41 AM »
Colonial Barracks, the first all-TSATF convention held in Metairie/New Orleans on November 4-5-6, was a solid success. 

There were 87 attendees from Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina and Wisconsin. The weekend saw 16 games and four TSATF “BC Medals” were awarded.  The medals are voted on by the players in a game and are for the one player who typifies the values found in a true TSATF gamer.  The winners at Colonial Barracks were: Eric Teuber (“The Lion and The Gazelle”); Dwight Jones (“The Train”); Tom Anderson (“Save the Ladies; Indian Mutiny 1857”) and Robert Clark (“Maiwand:1880).  Ethan Reiff, GM for the spectacular Maiwand game which ran 2 sessions on Saturday, was also awarded a TSATF “BC” for his game that was a highlight of the convention.   And Tom Anderson is now the holder of three “BC” medals, dating back to 2000. 

Since Colonial Barracks was so successful, we decided that next year will see the inclusion of other Brom rules.  The Jackson Gamers will assist with games for the entire weekend, played on a 6’ x 12’ table, and featuring “Chassepot and Needlegun” FPW, “Disperse, Ye Damned Rebels” AWI, “A Glint of Bayonets” ACW, and “To the Sound of the Guns” Napoleonic.  The core of games will still be “The Sword and The Flame” but as a result of on-site input from many attendees, we’re expanding and growing our historical miniatures convention by showcasing rules written by the prolific Larry Brom.

We meet with the hotel this week but the tentative dates for Colonial Barracks 2012 are November 2-3-4 and will be at the same venue, the Sheraton Metairie/New Orleans. We want to say “Thank You” once again to everyone who turned out and made the weekend so very memorable.  We paid our convention expenses and had funds left over to help with CJD research.  We saw old friends, made new ones and played in some wonderful games.  All in all, Colonial Barracks 2011 was a victory.

“Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books.”  H.G. Wells 1913.

http://www.sergeants3.com

Offline Liliburlero

• Assistant
    • Sergeants 3
Re: Colonial Barracks 2011 – A Success
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:45 PM »
To all,

Please include Mississippi on our list of attendees.  I must apologize to everyone who made it to Colonial Barracks from the state of Mississippi, especially my dear friends from the Jackson Gamers.  I was working too late on too little sleep.  As I said, I know they'll all forgive me but they'll NEVER forget.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Colonial Barracks 2011 – A Success
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
To hear that a convention purely for a single game/ruleset, other than one endowed by a major hobby/toy company, can actually succeed and draw a fair number of attendees, is great news. It must be a milestone in the long process of showing the world that wargaming is much more than just teenagers squabbling over the Warhamsters.  :)

I don't own TSATF myself - haven't been much into colonial/victorian, yet, but you never know...  ::) ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84