Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690461
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pocket-Scale-O-Meter  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Pocket-Scale-O-Meter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »
It is interesting how many LAFers consider Copplestone the norm for 28mm miniature size.
Isn't it? And then to imagine that it's only been a couple of months ago that I aquired my first non-GW miniatures. Judging by the Scale-O-Matic's results though, they seem to be the perfect middleground when it comes to scale. I picked this particular one simply because my assortment of non-GW miniatures is still rather limited and it was the most generic one in my possession. Also, it was standing up reasonably straight, which helps...

How do I force that pic to be printed at the intended size? If I insert it in Word, it becomes slightly smaller (a ruler reveals that, 7.2 cm becomes 6.85), and if I open the pic and print it using windows, it becomes almost twice as big....
I created this picture in Photoshop, which allows many printing options and printing it true size is actually the default setting.

What I suggest in your case is using the standard Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I believe this will allow you to print pictures at their actual size. Failing that, I suppose any graphical editing software (including free ones) would allow you to do the same. It would probably a chore to size a picture correctly using Word, which is not designed to do so.

The provided JPG is exactly the right size though.

Would anyone be interested in a laser cut plastic version?
I would! :D And that immediately answers your other question... ;)

Having the sales right at the edges would make comparison easier and more exact.
Good call; I will make the suggested changes as soon as possible and post that version.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
GIMP did the job - after I slapped it 'round a bit. Not the easiest interface, but, heck, it's free...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
As promised, an updated version, with the scales right along the edge.

I also added 1/2 meter marks. Just because I could... :D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:01:08 PM by Daeothar »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
A very interesting concept!

Would anyone be interested in a laser cut plastic version.

Assuming Daeothar doesn't mind :D

Depends on price.

Maybe Mark Copplestone would sponsor a batch?
Museum Miniatures had a batch of plastic business cards a few years ago made as "arc of fire" templates/protractors.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline lasgunpacker

• Assistant
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
How handy!

My wife made a similar device for me a few years back (5?) and I have used it a fair few times. It has rectangles to the height of each of the miniature sizes I used then (6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 28mm, and 54mm), a 25mm base, as well as a standard ruler.

Yours, with the scale ruler, the miniature profile, and the side view of the base is very helpful as well, and I wonder if the two ideas could be combined...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
I am considering bringing out my photo-etch kit to make a Steampunk version...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 08:53:29 AM »
How handy!

My wife made a similar device for me a few years back (5?) and I have used it a fair few times. It has rectangles to the height of each of the miniature sizes I used then (6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 28mm, and 54mm), a 25mm base, as well as a standard ruler.

Yours, with the scale ruler, the miniature profile, and the side view of the base is very helpful as well, and I wonder if the two ideas could be combined...
The initial idea actually was to make one version for each scale and then attach them together, much like those colour sample things you see at paint stores. You know; the stack of coloured strips that you can fan out. I was thinking to have three or four scales attached like that, so it wouldn't be too thick and would still fit into a credit card slot in my wallet.

The point of the thing is, to always have it with me, so any unexpected prize find can be measured. After all; you never know where the next treasure is to be found... ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
The point of the thing is, to always have it with me, so any unexpected prize find can be measured. After all; you never know where the next treasure is to be found... ;)

My thought exactly... I've often stood stooping over a crate of cheap toys on sale, wondering whether this or that thingy would work for gaming...  lol

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
Depends on price.

Maybe Mark Copplestone would sponsor a batch?
Museum Miniatures had a batch of plastic business cards a few years ago made as "arc of fire" templates/protractors.

Why not approach Alex, it could then be the Official Lead Adventure Scale O Meter... With suitable LAf decoration..... PERFECT Christmas present!
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:34 AM »
Why not approach Alex, it could then be the Official Lead Adventure Scale O Meter... With suitable LAf decoration..... PERFECT Christmas present!
I don't have the contacts, but I'm more than happy to work with someone and turn this project all the way up to eleven to lift it out of the DIY realm.

No problem on prettification in whatever theme is preferred either; you name it, I'll (photo)shop it...  :D

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
Just PM the Prof!

He runs this show....

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »
Well, just out of curiosity, I've been exploring the possibilities for getting these things produced and basically, using a business card company that also does transparent plastics seems the way to go.

They all seem to do a credit card sized transparent one, with rounded corners and UV plus rubbing resistant printing. Now all I need to do is find one that does batches smaller than 500 pieces. I'd prefer going with 50 at first, even when they're relatively more expensive, just to see if there is any interest at all before investing any real money into them. I'd probably ship them out at a little over cost plus P&P. So think about € 2,00 (GBP 1,75)   a piece plus P&P, give or take (this is just a rough estimate of course).

So; would anyone be interested in getting one? be aware though, that this means one (1) print. So no different scales, although I have some ideas to incorporate several scales into one card. But this means a total redesign, which I'm happy to do, but then I'd also need to know which scales would be most popular. I'm thinking 28mm and 15mm for starters?

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
The transparent business card sounds ideal.

Personally I would drop the photo of the figure, maybe add in a generic stickman or silhouette.

Add two or three rulers, for standard sizes or scales. 28mm-1/58. 18mm-1/100.

I would probably add in 32mm-1/54, as between 28mm and 32mm most folk should be able to get a good idea of their own collections and what would fit with them...

18mm would seem more popular now than the older 15mm standard (15mm is like 25mm fairly redundant now...).

btw you could count me in for one, even though I will probably design something similar for my laser cut template range. I was already planning a scale rule of sorts...
Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 01:44:31 AM »
I did something very similar years ago, but I found that just the shilouette wasn't always enough.
You get height, but I couldn't get a real "feel" for the item or scale.

In the end I find it easier to just keep a mini for each scale I play in my pocket.  so now all my coats and briefcase have minitures stuck in 'em.

Hopefully you will find the card more effective than I.

I dig the transparent idea, that might have helped.
- Scott

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 04:44:23 AM »
I'd buy one for certain, two if allowed.  One for the wife's purse, as she is well-trained in spotting potential treasures now too. 
This is my boomstick!