Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Complete History of Grom  (Read 3364 times)

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
A Complete History of Grom
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
Hi all

Just before I found Warhammer 8th ed unplayable, I had actually made my own custom Grom to use for a Grom/Eltharion match-up that seemed appropriate. That left me with the 4th ed Grom, and my own. Then, through good fortune rather than planning, the 3rd ed Grom landed in my lead pile.

After being chastised for my limited knowledge of Grom, I came to be aware of an earlier edition - a pre-slotta Grom. Imagine my excitement when I finally finished painting the sod up.

Anyway, here the chaps are, in chronological order:

And, all the boys together (don't have a good enough camera to get a nice action pose, unfortunately):

There are some other discussions of the chariot and its components over at the blog, if you're interested.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Regards
Gaj
Regards,
Gaj

Always interested in contacting any gamers interested in Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition!
Also interested in any old 80's Citadel figures you may want to get rid of.

http://warhammerforadults.blogspot.com

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: A Complete History of Grom
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
Being a O&G player for the last 20 years or so, all I can tell is...

I'M GREEN WITH ENVY!  ;)

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
GROM GROM GROM GROM!!!!

One of my favourite WHFB characters!

8th edition is wonderful! I really enjoy playing it nowadays, but I never win with my gobbos!  :(

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
Of the Four Groms I like your own version, tearing up the landscape, the best...he reminds me of Toad from Wind in the Willows. All are VERY WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:42:07 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
I love your version, he reminds me of 'Mr Tony Blair' from the Friday Night Armistice though!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
This is very cool. I ws taking my original Grom's Goblin Guard for a spin a couple of weeks ago, playing Kings of War rather than WHFB, but never mind. I've never even seen the 3rd Ed Grom before, that's a nice mini. Not so fond of the 4th Ed one but yours is quite amazing - it reminds me a little of that ghost from Ghostbusters called Slimer or something like that.

Who was it that chastised you for your lack of Gromlore? So as it never happens again I can give you some info: I've been working on a version of the 2nd Ed history of the War of Grom the Paunch... so far it's going something like this:

"From the earliest annals, which may or may not be the most correct, the following rough timeline can be constructed.

Grom kills Wulfrun Willowhand, King of the Northern Dwarfs, beginning the Dwarf-Goblin Wars.

At some point subsequently, Mudat Brokenbone sacks Nuln; around this time, Bogdan Legbreak, a Goblin warlord with many chariots, and his Ogre ally Golgfag the Rutdrogg, kill Bono Bugman.

Following the sack of Nuln, Mudat lays seige to Helmgart.

Around this time, Bogdan and Golgfag sack Bugman's Brewery.

After the Seige of Helmgart, Mudat and Grom end up on opposite sides in the Battle of Gonnear; Grom kills Mudat. This is the first recorded appearance of Grom's Goblin Guard.

Some timne after this, Golgfag's second-in-command Gratthud slays Bogdan; 'Mad-Eyed' Hogg becomes the leader of Bogdan's chariots, and commands them at Zhuf Field, where he fights alongside Grom.

After Zhuf Field, Grom and Hogg assault the 'Dwarf City' of Middenheim, where Grom is killed.

Some years later is the battle of Mad Dog Pass, where Grom's Goblin Guard is exterminated. Hogg is also present at the battle, and leads the survivors of of Bogdan's chariots into the Darklands."

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Who was it that chastised you for your lack of Gromlore?
I believe that would be me... though I didn't exactly chastise Gaj. I merely pointed out there was more lead he needed. =)

I like your home made Grom a lot, btw! Slimer and Toad, yeah - those are pretty close to what I came to think about as well.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:03:42 PM »
I very much like your version, but that preslotta one is a great miniature (and your painting does it justice) - one that despite being a greensking player in a former life, I was completely unaware of.  8)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Love your Grom!
Superb!

:-*

Seeing the second one brought back memories.
I had that version of Grom's Goblin Guard.
A Regiment of Reknown if I recall correctly....
Wish I still had them, they were great!

Nice work.
Any more versions of Grom planned?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:52:38 AM by Mason »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »
Brilliant - I love the fact that he's finally lost his chin in your version!  lol

I have the 4th and 3rd ed versions - I'm some way to re-forming the 3rd ed version of the Goblin Guard...

Love your painting by the by!  8)

Offline weazil

• Bookworm
    • Warhammer For Adults
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
Hey all

Thanks for the love, much appreciated.

It was indeed Mr Phreed that set me straight on the business of Grom. Perhaps chastise is too strong a word.

I only cried for a half a day or so.

Red Orc - thanks for the updated history. I knew the end of that story (from the SoL RoR page), but I didn't know the events that led up to it. I wonder how many of the loremasters over at GW would admit that Middenheim was supposedly a dwarven fortress?

In terms of more Groms, I guess I'm tied into whatever finecast version they elect to produce now. Looking at the general size of modern GW figures, and their exponential rate of growth, I can only conclude that the next Grom will come out on an Arachnarok base and will be the size of an actual guinea pig. I also suspect that there will be a push to get the rest of Grom's Goblin Guard from each of the era's, but that's a back burner project for now.

Lead pile > Infinity, Paypal = 0.