Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MDF Board Material Sources  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
MDF Board Material Sources
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
After long local search led no where, am posting this question in hopes of sources of 3mm or 1/8th inch MDF board.

In particular I am looking for 1/8th inch (3mm) sheets of MDF board in or near Sacramento CA. Otherwise searching for on line sources of at least, oh, 1 foot by 1 foot or larger 1/8th inch MDF boards for making buildings and side walks out of.

Home depot and Lowe's carry 1/2 inch thick which will be to heavy by the time my project is complete on a 4 foot by 4 foot board. The base board will be 1/2 inch, but the interior buildings are what I want to use the thin board for.

Anyone that has a source, I would be interested in pursuing enquires of it :)

http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: MDF Board Material Sources
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »
You might be S.O.L. I know it exists but may be difficult to find. Try googling 1/8th MDF.
You could use hardboard which is 1/8th thick and more common but a little less rigid
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
I can't give you specifics for your area, but I can offer a reasonable suggestion from my experiences.

I run a model making workshop for students at a school of architecture. As such we are continually sourcing different types of materials.

When it comes to the less popular MDF thickness's (i.e. not 6mm, 9mm, 12mm or 18mm - 1/4", 1/2" etc. ) we have found that you generally need to go to a trade supplier. For example a local timber merchant that supplies the construction industry.
A caveat to that is that, chances are they wont have it in stock, but they will be able to get it for you. You will probably have to buy at least a whole sheet (usually 8'x4' - 1220mm x 2440mm), although they may well offer a cutting service as well...

Hope that is of use for you!
Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
I know this is a bet late, but.... You might want to try hardboard, the dark brown stuff that you can also get with holes in it (pegboard) to hang tools up on.  You can get it at Home Depot, etc.. in as little as 2'x4' sheets.  For interior walls you may even like foamcore sheets that you can get at AC Moore, etc.. they are very light weight.