Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:18:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Car Chases & Mayhem!  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Car Chases & Mayhem!
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
We decided to take the driving & vehicle rules in .45 Adventures 2nd Edition for a test drive this afternoon. The result was three crashed cars, a couple of murdered henchmen, and a couple of hours of good fun gaming.

We set the board up 2x8 feet, with a winding road leading from a small hamlet through the fields, over a creek, up a jungle-covered hill and to a larger river with a steamboat waiting to take the victor away.

The plot, insofar as we needed one: Jungle explorer comes out of the jungle with a Valuable Artifact safely crated up; while transferring it to his vehicles in the hamlet another pair of trucks roars into town, throws the crate in the back of one truck, and roars out of town. The chase is on!

We had three trucks and one car; by the end of the game we had one truck and no cars - not running, anyway. Weaponry was limited; one player had only a pistol onboard, two had rifles, one had a tommygun.

While we were setting up, one player asked if he could jump the creek... this inspired lunacy resulted in us setting up a small hill downriver from the bridge and ruling that you could indeed jump there, provided you went over fast enough and didn't mind making a series of fairly rough control rolls doing so, plus the possibility of damage!

Highlights included David, a first-time pulp player, getting his Grade Three character to physically KICK his Grade One flunky out of their speeding car, while the flunky was driving! The flunky flew from the car, hit a stone wall, and given the speed of the car, basically exploded into ground meat... we should have suspected something was up when David named his two characters Blackadder & Baldric... one turn later, Blackadder badly blew a control roll, sent his speeding car wildly out of control, slammed into another stone wall, and gave himself a series of head wounds in the crash. Being a rotter does not pay.

One player, Dale, did jump the river, made the launch but blew his landing and crashed hard, knocking out his leader with a fairly severe head wound! Entertainingly, halfway over the river his flunky lept off the flying vehicle, landing safely in the river below, only to spend the last few turns of the game unable to climb the banks.

Malcolm, who was driving the getaway car, spent several turns dueling with Corey (Burgundavia), which ended when Malcolm reached the single-lane bridge first, blocking it, then Corey loosing control and plowing into the river, bringing his truck to a stop. Malcolm trundled sedately onward (he took his truck over it's "safe speed" limit only twice in the whole game, compared to the other three who were driving gloriously insanely...)

Corey's engine stalled in the water; while he was trying to restart it his flunky climbed out on the running boards to take a shot at Malcolm with his SMG, and promptly lost his balance, fell into the river, and was then run over when his boss got the truck moving again! (we ruled that using a two-handed weapon on a lurching truck in the river required a Dodge check, which he promptly failed... then he failed another Dodge check the next turn to get out of the way of the moving truck, and was run over...)

In the end, Malcolm cruised over the hill to victory, Corey and Dale both wound up loosing control and going over a cliff on one edge of the hill, and David's badly wounded character lurched from his crashed car, tried to chase the other vehicles on foot, and passed out from his head wound in the middle of the road.

We realized afterward we had done a few things wrong, and also that there were a few things we needed to clarify or write house rules for before the next vehicle-heavy game. I'm going to do up a cheat sheet for driving, based on the one I created a few years back for 1st Edition's driving rules. Still, it was a good fun game, played fairly loose to get a feel for the rules and have mayhem ensue!

Only one photo I got is worth posting - this is about the midpoint of the game. "Blackadder" has crashed against the stone wall in the background; Malcolm (green truck) is chased by Corey (brown truck) toward the bridge. At the top right you can see the steep little bit of hill we declared as a ramp; by this point in the game Dale has already crashed his truck on the far side of the creek, which is off the right-hand edge of this photo!

Pulp Car Chase by WireLizard, on Flickr

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Car Chases & Mayhem!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:22:12 AM »
I have uploaded a few new pictures that I took with my Canon 40D:

I ram Dale's truck by burgundavia, on Flickr

David chases Malcolm by burgundavia, on Flickr

Dales goes for the jump by burgundavia, on Flickr

I ram Malcolm's truck by burgundavia, on Flickr

We did notice that although speed affects the difficulty of making a turn, it doesn't impact how much damage a vehicle takes from being hit, nor were there rules for acceleration.

One thing I would propose is treating vehicle more like a character or a monster, with regular DR and hit locations. The rules almost have that, but aren't quite there. That would allow simple changes to vehicles for up-armouring, etc.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »
Once you get those vehicle changes done, feel free to post them. I like seeing vehicular mayhem and anything that encourages it, I will encourage.  :D
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
Very cool indeed!  8)

I'm planning on using the same rules, also in combination with .45 in the World Of Darkness RPG campaign I've started running, presently set in 1932. .45 will be my rule set of choice when playing out any type of confrontation, and the chase game is there for vehicular mayhem. I've never used .45 before, but we'll see how that goes, especially the translation of WoD stats to .45 ones...

Anyway; my take on the game can be found here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=34855.0

As you can see, I've opted to use modular pieces of road, to be changed out, as the chase progresses. Not as many cool cinematic opportunities as with your setup, but a heck of a lot easier to transport (our game nights are rarely at my house) and set up. Especially since we tend to play from a couch and on the coffee table.

I'm interested to see how you've adapted/fitted the .45 rules into your version of the chase game. I need to create a handout for all players involved with the rules on it, see. And even though I have some pretty cool ideas, I'd like to compare notes beforehand... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 02:44:57 AM »
Sounds like a real fun time had by all.
Nice pictures showing the action.
Semper Fi, Mac