Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690889
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Davestown, building a western table!  (Read 24101 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Davestown, building a western table!
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »
Since there is interest here, I will cross post this here from my RPGnet thread.  While I wanted to start with a review of the Legends of the Old West game, delays in getting the book have prompted me to start instead on my game "table".  This thread will detail putting it together as cheaply and quickly as possible so I can get started painting the minis when they arrive, and playing the game when I get the rules.  Here is what I have wso far.

OK, so I find myself actually waiting for the rules to play Legends of the Old West, a western miniature game from Warhammer Historical.  I’ve also put in a $150 order of Black Scorpion minis from the Tombstone line, but need to wait for them to arrive before I begin painting the figures

So, since I have time on my hands before I actually get the rulebook, it would be a wise idea to do what I can…that would be to get my play surface ready to do.

My goal is to build a play surface large enough and versatile enough to accommodate a lot of play.  Not only that, while I know it’s not going to be “cheap” I’m certainly going to try and get by as cheap as I can.  I also want to get this done as quickly as possible, so when the minis arrive, I can start right up on painting those.  The main goal is to get a game going before Christmas.

I decided it might be fun to document the entire experience, with pictures of my progress.  This’ll be fun and motivating for me, and hopefully some other people will enjoy watching my “table” take shape.  While I’m not the most professional level wargamer, painter, or builder, this might help the average beginner see what it takes to create an adequately playable table from scratch.  My goal is to make the best table I can in the least amount of time and spending the least amount of cash.  If I was willing to spend a lot more, and take a lot more time, I could certainly make a much more impressive spread.

So, without further ado…let’s get started :)

Basic Play Area

Needless to say, the first thing I need to do is build the base play area.  From what I’ve seen and heard, LotOW takes place on a 2x2 to 4x4 area, with 4x4 being the base.  

Well, to be honest I want a surface that I can transport easily, since I won’t be actually playing at my house often.  If I wanted to make the play area 4x4 I would have to cut that in half, or in 4 pieces.

I sort of want the consistency of a one piece surface, so I decided on a size of 3x3.  This is small enough to be manageable.  It fits in my car (a Saturn), and isn’t too bulky and clumsy.  Most scenario start with a set up zone that is 6” to 12” anyway, so I’ll simply cut that out or reduce it when I play games that are supposed to take place on a 4x4 area and call it a wash.  I feel good about the 3x3 size.

The first thing I’ll need to do is get together all the stuff I need to build the base playing surface.

I want the table to be light, so I’m going to go with a 1” thick chunk of Styrofoam.  This has proven to be a good play surface for me in the past.  Going to the friendly local lumber yard, I pick up a 4x8 foot sheet (the standard size) for $10.  I get the guys there to cut it down to the right size for me (they have a nice table saw…and I can’t fit the whole thing in my car in one piece anyway).  This gives me a spare 3x3 section I can use later, and also give me plenty of “scrap” for hills and such (we’ll make those later).

I don’t know if I’m the only guy who does this, but I like to cover the edges of my Styrofoam with masking tape to make it a bit more durable and less prone to breaking, denting, or accidentally ripping of a chunk.

Next I give the surface a solid coat of paint.  Since I’m going for a dry desert looking surface, I’m going with a dark dirty looking brown.  This will offset the bright flock (see below) and give the surface a grungy look (hopefully).  Note, if you don’t know this, aerosol cans (spray paint) will eat Styrofoam, so don’t use it!

Next we need to glue the flock or sand on.  I decided to go with (woodland scenic) yellow grass flock at almost $10 for a shaker can(available in most model train stores).  This will give the surface a dry dusty look…but won’t simply be dirt and sand.  Other people use sand, and drybrush it to look like desert, and this can look cool…but I wanted a softer, more versatile surface.  I think the Yellow grass will work out nicely for giving the play area a southwest look.

There are all kinds of fancy adhesives to attach flock or sand…I simply mix some cheap old Elmer’s glue I have laying around with some warm water.  It works like a charm and costs next to nothing.

Paint the glue on quickly and shake on the flock (be generous).  Make sure to collect the extra flock on something, as there will be a lot of it to recover.

Once this dries, I gave it a coat of matt spray sealer (the same I will use for my minis).  Note, this will eat Styrofoam too, so make sure that you have completely covered the foam with paint and flock!

Once this has dried, the first step of my journey is complete.  I’m pretty happy with the end product.  Other than a few little odds and ends (glue, masking tape, spray sealer) I already had lying around the house, the project cost me $20.  This has also left me with enough Styrofoam for hills, other terrain, and another complete playing surface.  I also have enough left over flock for all my other terrain and to base up my minis when they are finished.

The Great Frontier

Now that my play surface is done, but before I begin building the town I want to do a little out of town terrain.  I’m not sure If I’ll be able to use all this in the first game, but it’s always a good idea to have plenty of stuff for future games.

First off, I know that I’m going to need a road through the center of the play area if my first game is going to include a western town.  I decided to make it 6” wide (that would be about 25-35 feet in the real world…not that that really matters) as it seems like a wide enough area for shootouts to take place.

I’m choosing to use a scrap of Hard Board I have laying around in my garage.  I like Hard Board because it is fairly common, cheap, rarely warps, is thin, and is easy to cut and sand.  That said, don’t run out and buy a big sheet unless you have to.  Look everywhere, a lot of garbage around the house (or at work) is made out of Hard Board or similar wood.  Old clipboards, the back of some cork boards, signs.

I simply cut the right size, used Elmer’s glue and some sand as my base.  You can buy sand at any department store with a craft section…but I suggest simply going into your neighbor’s sandbox and scooping out a cup of the stuff (cleaning out the dirt, of course!).

After the glue dries, I painted it with some sand/dirt colored paint and drybrushed it with a slightly lighter color.  I use those cheap 99 cent paints you can buy at Wal-mart.  Then I flock a little around the edges of the road so it blends in with the play surface.

Next, I’m going to use some of that left over Styrofoam to make some hills.  I simply cut them out using a good sharp utility knife.  I wanted to get one of those nice Styrofoam cutters you can find in railroad shops…but at a price tag of $40, I decided to pass.

I painted the sides of the hills with gray, and drybrushed it with 2 lighter colors of grey to give it a good rocky appearance.  Then I finished by doing the top surface in the same way I did the main play surface.

All in all, this step cost me nothing, since I already had the Styrofoam, flock, glue, and stuff from making the play surface and had the paints lying around.  If you had to buy the paints, the entire step would probably cost you under $5

The table so far

Total cost so far: $25
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:11:36 PM »
You are certainly a very productive fellow. It looks great!

A suggestion if I may?

If you have access to a spray gun, a few puffs here and there with a lighter buff colour could give some further depth to the gaming surface.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:15:58 PM »
Nice looking setup. If you fing your foam is beinf nicked up and dented more than you like try brushing on a few diluted coats of white glue just prior to flocking. The guys at the local shop do that and while the boards still take some hits from rougher gamers, they hold up pretty well overall.

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:24:53 PM »
That's some excellent terrain for only $25. Keep it coming!

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 05:55:37 AM »
Good inspiration for me to get working on my own board. I've already got a bunch done, just need to do a few more things to get it completed...

Looking good!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »
This board looks great!

I like how you've included a total amount spent as well. I'm very interested in the overall cost. I'd also be interested in the time logged in making this as well.

Like i said previously, I'm getting back into minis gaming as well. Part of the reason I choose LotOW was the low model count which means less time required to paint. We just picked up a mortgage and have a 10month old, so time and expendable income aren't what they used to be....

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »
Lovely work Grubman, you make it look so easy when infact it takes skill and patience, all credit to you

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 01:28:39 AM »
Trees and Rocks

The landscape looks pretty boring so far, so I need to spice it up, by making some trees and rocks.  This will make it look a lot cooler, plus it will make the battlefield more interesting and provide cover and obstacles.

First I’m going to make some trees.  I want them to look old, dry, and dead, like a lot of the stuff in the southwest (I spent 4 years in El Paso TX, and 1 in Roswell NM).  I’m avoiding the typical cactuses that most people seem to like using in old west mini games because…well, to be honest I never saw any of those when I was out there.  I hear they are mainly in Arizona.

To make the trees I grabbed a bad of plastic trees I got out of a $1 bag of dinosaurs a few years back.  (Let me take a moment to tell the newbie something very important…The $1 store is your friend!!!  Frequently walk through there; you never know what you’ll find that you can use to build terrain on the cheap!)  I simply cut off the plastic leaf things from the top.

I mounted the trees (with trusty Elmer’s glue) on some wooden bases I picked up at a hobby store (hobbies like your moms, not ours :)), a bag of 6 wooden circles for $3, and glued on some stones from the garden (real stones are great…and free, just make sure you paint them or they look like, well, stones), primed the whole thing, painted it using grays and drybrushing techniques, and flocked the base.

To make them look much cooler and more realistic I added some bits of field grass ($4 from the model train shop) and some Reindeer moss ($5 from your grandmas hobby store…don’t get this from a train shop as it costs twice as much there.)

Next I thought some rock outcroppings would be cool.  Once again I used stones, but since I wanted a big stone on each, I carved the appropriate shape out of some scrap Styrofoam.  Painting, flocking, and spicing up as above I have some more obstacles for the battle field.

Total cost for this step $13
Total Cost so far:  $38

The table so far:

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 01:36:35 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
You are certainly a very productive fellow. It looks great!

A suggestion if I may?

If you have access to a spray gun, a few puffs here and there with a lighter buff colour could give some further depth to the gaming surface.

I was thinking about adding a few dirty bits...but I have another 3x3 section to play with, so I might just leave this one the plain dead grasslands.

Quote from: "Aaron"
Nice looking setup. If you fing your foam is beinf nicked up and dented more than you like try brushing on a few diluted coats of white glue just prior to flocking. The guys at the local shop do that and while the boards still take some hits from rougher gamers, they hold up pretty well overall.

Interesting.  I haven't had much problem, as the masking tape seems to do the trick and I'm pretty carefull with my stuff (read anal), but I've seen other peoples get nicked and such...of course, the people that allow that to happen seldom care.

Quote from: "Jack Hooligan"
I'm very interested in the overall cost. I'd also be interested in the time logged in making this as well.

Each post is day by day (the first one was two days).  The board took a while, but that was mostly because I had to let it dry inbetween everything.  The hills and road probably took about an hour and a half.  I'm sort of impatient (I often use a hair dryer to get things to dry faster :))

Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Lovely work Grubman, you make it look so easy when infact it takes skill and patience, all credit to you

Thank you.  When it's this much fun, the time flys by...I don't know about "skill", but I'll take the complement :)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »
Very nice so far and I really like those trees.

One suggestion is that you paint your rocks a sandy brown colour rather than grey, as they are more likely to be a similar colour to the ground.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
Good so far, I'm enjoying following your progress.
I agree with 6mmfan about the rock colour. I'd do the exposed hill sides the same too although the contrast can be a good look if that's what you're after.

What's next? how about scrub and tumbleweed?

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
Good so far, I'm enjoying following your progress.
I agree with 6mmfan about the rock colour. I'd do the exposed hill sides the same too although the contrast can be a good look if that's what you're after.

I don't think I'm going to go back and re-paint them right now, but I'll certainly experiment with any future terrraign I build for the table.  I thought about doing the hillsides in brown, but my old WFB table used to be like that, and I really always wanted to try the grey look...that was the main motivator for trying it out.  I sort of like the look...but I can certainly see where brown would give it a more dirty look.

Quote from: "matakishi"
What's next? how about scrub and tumbleweed?

Glad you asked...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »
Those tress look great, my kids have some of those...will have to appropriate them some how...lol

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »
Time to build Davestown!

Well what is a western town without any buildings!?  The time has come to build Davestown, and I looked around a lot.  First I checked out Model Train buildings, but the scales were just wrong (either a bit too big, or a bit to small), and even if they were right they are just too darn expensive to be practical.  Then I looked at Whitewash city, which certainly looks like a good option…then, quite by accident, I found this single page…

http://home.iprimus.com.au/shadowolf/Index.htm

…On it I found a bunch of 28mm western building templates FOR FREE!

Since going cheep is my main goal, and I do plan on scratch building some real buildings when I have more time, I decided to take advantage of these templates and downloaded them all.  To be honest, I think they might be just a bit small for 28mm, but just about right for 25mm…but they should definitely be serviceable till I can build my own.

Once again the first thing I have to do is assemble my equipment.  For this project I purchased a sheet of foamboard from the local $1 sore (for $1, duh!), and some hobby sticks ($2.50) and rubber cement ($2) from Wal-Mart.

I printed up the templates; rubber cemented them to the foamboard, and cut them out carefully using a metal ruler.

Once this was done, I glued them together with Elmer’s glue and let it dry.  Notice that I had to cut the side walls a bit shorter to account for the overlap of the template.  This won’t be a problem if you use thin cardboard instead of foamboard.  I just wanted my buildings to be a bit sturdier.

Finally I paint all the exposed white foam, glued on the roofs (I glued them to a thinner cardstock, in this case an old shipping envelope) build the porch, and line the top with the hobby sticks to give it that old west look (note:  the sticks have not been added to the top yet on the picture).  The whole process took about 30 minutes.

Looking at the size of my table I think 6 building should about fill it up, so I picked the coolest looking ones to build.  A few hours later I have a entire old west city, serviceable till I can take the time to build some cooler ones.

Cost for this step:  $5.50
Total Cost so far:  $43.50

The Table So far…

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
That's looking brilliant. Nice find on the buildings too.  8)