Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not a number  (Read 3735 times)

Offline brummielad1975

• Bookworm
    • http://chroniclesoftantalus.blogspot.com/
Not a number
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »
Just couldnt resist these when I saw them :)

The Man from 3000 from Crooked Dice (listed as a villain for some odd reason) and the Rover from Ainsty Castings.

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
Re: Not a number
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
Fun!

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:56 AM »
Be seeing you!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
listed as a villain for some odd reason

Suppose it depends on your viewpoint.
He's always causing trouble for Number 2, he must be a villain for Number 1.
And nobody understood the series anyway, so it's in character for us not to understand why he's listed as a villain.
Good excuse to build some exotic scenery though....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »
God bless Patrick McGoohan.  Part of my formative years....

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
That guy under the rover looks like a first generation plastic Imperial Guardsman…

Best place for him. ;)

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
This reminds of a long-standing question I have.

Does anyone make a "John Drake" (Patrick Mcgoohan) figure from Danger Man (UK)/Secret Agent Man (US)?  I have looked at some of the "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang" figs from Copplestone and I can't tell if one of them is Drake (clearly, several others are from 60's TV and movies).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »
As Danger Man spanned 8 years and fashion in 1960 was very different to that of 1968, it's not an easy question to answer. While a couple of the figures are clearly meant to depict specific characters (007, Harry Palmer etc), most of them are suitably vague and it will be all in the paint job. If I had to say which one I thought was Drake, I'd say this one;

and I'd probably be wrong.  lol

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Don't forget the heads in this set of figures are seperate. You could add the head from the man from 3000 to any figure in a suit and create your own version  ;)

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
Nice!  My wife got me into this show, and man was it weird.  I think a ping pong ball would make a good Rover on the cheap (and easy, since you wouldn't need to paint it!), but IMO the "Man from 3000"s head doesn't look much like McGoohan (width of jaw vs. head mostly).  The head on the Copplestone figure in Arlequin's post is much closer to what he looked like.

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 01:06:44 AM »
I used Arlequín's suggested figure as Ilya Kuryakin from the Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Napoleon Solo is in the same pack). I was leaning towards the figure in short sleeves from Artizan's KKB202 as John Drake.

http://artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1126

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:35 AM »
I thought that one was Bond at Crab Key...  :?

They're mostly all quite adaptable though and I'm hoping for more of them, just doesn't seem to happen though. I feel like a Jonah for gaming settings sometimes, every time I get into one, the 'new releases' stop.

;)

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 05:32:33 AM »
As Danger Man spanned 8 years and fashion in 1960 was very different to that of 1968, it's not an easy question to answer. While a couple of the figures are clearly meant to depict specific characters (007, Harry Palmer etc), most of them are suitably vague and it will be all in the paint job. If I had to say which one I thought was Drake, I'd say this one;

and I'd probably be wrong.  lol

I think you are likely right.  I have always thought this the closest "Drake" fig (hair might be a bit on the long side).  The fact he is unarmed would tend to support Drake as well.  He didn't carry a weapon but rather used his wits and his fists.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
I think he is actually carrying a pistol, it's just hard to see at this angle.  :?

Yes Danger Man was criticised for its violence, yet only two people were ever shot by Drake and one of those was in a dream. Clearly duffing someone up was felt to be too disturbing for viewers and shooting them was far more preferable.  lol

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
I think he is actually carrying a pistol, it's just hard to see at this angle.  :?

Yes Danger Man was criticised for its violence, yet only two people were ever shot by Drake and one of those was in a dream. Clearly duffing someone up was felt to be too disturbing for viewers and shooting them was far more preferable.  lol

I will, ultimately, buy the Copplestone set.  I will look more closely at the fig at that point.

I had not heard the criticism as regards violence.  I know (in at least one case) Drake shot someone almost by accident when wrestling away his adversary's rifle.  Mcgoohan rewrote the character before accepting the role by refusing to carry a weapon.  Sad that he might be criticized for ordinary fisticuffs.  

Further interesting, that (as I understand) he passed on being the initial James Bond because (as a strong Roman Catholic) he would not kiss another woman on screen (being married to the same woman from the 50s until his death in 2009).  Even more interesting (per what I have read) that he turned down Gandalf and Dumbledore.

He is as defined as much by what he declined to do as what he did.  A strangely principled man.

Intriguing to me that he is as an interesting a character in my middle age as we was in my youth.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:09:47 AM by Lysander »