Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Book of Fragments - Elder Thing  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Malkcntent

• Assistant
    • Darkson Designs
Book of Fragments - Elder Thing
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:19:28 AM »
Blackball Games, Inc is proud to announce the release of the Elder Thing, the next “Book of Fragments” miniature – now on sale in the Blackball Games Store.

Alien beings from beyond the stars, the Elder Things are thought to be responsible for much of the life now present on Earth.  Those that remain after billions of years of isolation can be found deep in the ocean depths or frozen in the Antarctic wastes, ready to awaken and once again claim their place as the masters of this planet.

The Elder Thing is a multi-piece metal miniature standing over 40mm in height and is suitable for any roleplaying game or miniatures wargaming.  This classic Lovecraftian creature was sculpted and conceptualized by Aragorn Marks and painted by Jessica Rich.

The “Book of Fragments” miniatures line is a collection of horrors, monsters, minions, and cultists for the tabletop. Drawn from mythos and nightmare, and re-conceived by top artists and visionaries in the industry “Book of Fragments” monstrosities break new ground and shatter expectations.

The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the universe.

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
Re: Book of Fragments - Elder Thing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:06 AM »
Sold! Though the human faces look a little off, but it may be the color...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:40:26 AM by goon3423 »
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
Sold!

That is perfect for my 15mm Strange Aeons. I agree that the faces are  a bit too much, but I also think that the color brings them out disturbingly. And they can always be greenstuffed away.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
It's certainly a nice sculpt overall.

I don't get the why of the faces either... Are they supposed to be jewellery or something of the sort? Cf.

Also...
The Elder Thing is a multi-piece metal miniature standing over 40mm in height and is suitable for any roleplaying game or miniatures wargaming.  This classic Lovecraftian creature was sculpted and conceptualized by Aragorn Marks and painted by Jessica Rich
...the shop says of "over 35 mm", which of course includes anything over "40 mm" as well... I grant it's fairly complex mini but still it sounds a bit small for the price tag of $20.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
I think it's fantastic, apart from the human faces. They don't belong on an Elder Thing IMO. Just doesn't fit with my view of the Mythos. Shame, otherwise it would have been the best Elder Thing ever made.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
My first reaction was to be really impressed. Overall a great looking Elder Thing. Unfortunately for this mini, of all the Lovecraftian creatures the Elder Thing is probably the one with the most detailed description. Like others have mentioned, the faces put me off- Lovecraft was all about downplaying humanity, or rather trying to remove any terrestrial physical and psychological attributes from his creations so it's an odd choice... unless they developed some ability to morph faces?.... who knows.

To be fair the press release states that the range consists of 're-conceived' monstrosities so it sounds like the departure is quite deliberate.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »
It's not "a classic Lovecraftean creature" if it's an extrapolation... :?

Offline Malkcntent

• Assistant
    • Darkson Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
My first reaction was to be really impressed. Overall a great looking Elder Thing. Unfortunately for this mini, of all the Lovecraftian creatures the Elder Thing is probably the one with the most detailed description. Like others have mentioned, the faces put me off- Lovecraft was all about downplaying humanity, or rather trying to remove any terrestrial physical and psychological attributes from his creations so it's an odd choice... unless they developed some ability to morph faces?.... who knows.

To be fair the press release states that the range consists of 're-conceived' monstrosities so it sounds like the departure is quite deliberate.

You got it Dr Mathias.  We're trying to put our own spin on some of the classics.  For me, the faces add an even creepier element to the piece almost as if it's mockingly attempting some form of communication or empathy with humanity - for such a horrible creature the faces seems very out of place, which is why I feel it makes the thing that much worse.

Thanks for the comments!

Online fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
order placed!

i really like the extra 'creepy' factor brought by the faces.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
Well, it could be worse...

...they could be skulls. ;D

Online infelix

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
Faces or no faces, it's still a kick ass miniature!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »
Well, it could be worse...

...they could be skulls. ;D

lol lol lol lol

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »
Ordered mine yesterday.  ;)
As far as the faces are concerned, I will see how they look on the actual mini, maybe I just dremel them off, no big deal.
Otherwise - as said - simply the best Elder Thing I have seen!  8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
It dose look very good and I like that it has all 4 wings out.. If I remember right dident they have something to do with the creation of humans lorewise? So one could always add a chain or band between the faces to make som jewlery or trophies.