Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prepaint Makeover: Tarry Demodand + Cyclops  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Astromini5

• Assistant
Prepaint Makeover: Tarry Demodand + Cyclops
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
Being new to painted miniatures, I decided to buy inexpensive pre-painted figures and practice on them before slapping pigment on metal. One hefty sculpt, the Warcraft Voidwalker, didn't seem to belong with other fantasy monsters...looking like a gummy blob of jello. So, I notched his face and grafted on a horse skull. His pose begged for a giant axe so I camouflaged a LEGO halberd with compound. Consulting the classic D&D books, I figured his bubbling form could pass for a tarry demodand once painted black.

Another silly blue monster mini were these things called Chraal, which didn't fit the retro list I was planning. Ten seconds with a dremel and a red glass bead transformed them into cyclops (with amphibian tones). My equally cheap dungeon tiles are real floor tiles with textured wallpaper glued to the top and magnetic tape on the back.

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
Re: Prepaint Makeover: Tarry Demodand + Cyclops
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
Very nice, those chraal cyclops are great fun!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »
Wonderful conversions.  I'd like to see more of the floor tiles.  They look pretty slick.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Astromini5

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
Sure, here is a before and after image. I work in a paint store that has wallpaper sample books, which get thrown out after expiration. I found one with a tile pattern small enough for minis, so I cut all the pages out and used Scotch 77 adhesive to bond the material to ordinary linoleum chunks. The assorted colors would've been fine for town building floors, but I wanted a more uniform dungeon level. I used a dark glaze to even out the colors, with touches of flat black spray in the corners. Leaving the center lighter makes the rooms look "lit by torchlight". I'm going to use other textured wallpaper to make rough rock floors, slime traps, etc.

I'm only using magnetic tape because I found a large roll of it for 5 bucks. I also have heavier scrap tiles painted for a sci-fi board. This is a bit more expensive than printed paper floors, but way cheaper than anything cast/molded.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
Looking very good, and if you can get some of the warhammer quest doorways they'll fit very nicely once separated from the 'clip'.
Duncan