Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hinging a treasure chest--advice sought  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Watery Graves

• Student
  • Ahoy
Hinging a treasure chest--advice sought
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
I'd like to make it possible to open and close a 28mm scale treasure chest (the one from the old Mordheim accessory sprue). I tried using a bit of duct tape as a sort of hinge, but it was a little too stiff. I'll try a bit of actual cloth next, but if anyone else has already done something like this, I'm eager to profit from your experience!

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
Re: Hinging a treasure chest--advice sought
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
Find the smallest brass tube you can and cut it into three short lengths totalling the length of your lid. Then take a piece of thin brass rod that just fits inside your tube and do cut it to a length just shorter than the lid. Slide the 3 pieces of rod onto the rod and glue the two end pieces to the box and the center one to the lid. Seal the ends to keep the rod coming out and you have a hinge.

If this is too complicated use a piece of fine chain and make a hingeless lift off lid bound to the back of the chest with two chains, much like you tried with the tape.

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »
Much like Cory, I like the tube method.

You can make small scale strap hinges from thin brass sheet, rolling the tube around a pin and then attaching each leaf to the top and bottom of the chest (or doors...).  If you are not comfortable working with metal, and don't mind being slightly out of scale - the smallest styrene tubing can also be using to make hinges (it is about 2 mm OD though).

If both of those don't seem to work for you - head to a model RC shop.  You can pick up airplane control surface hinges.  There are several different varieties of them (and dozens of sizes for each type).  You should be able to find what will work for you and your application.

I can't remember that exact treasure chest - but the easiest would probably be styrene tube glued to the chest (four pieces of tube...two on top and two on bottom).  Insert the pin to align all of the tubes while you glue them on - careful not to get glue on the wrong tube or wrong side of the chest.

Offline Watery Graves

• Student
  • Ahoy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:11:29 AM »
That's brilliant, thank you both very much! I'll try this tube method.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:23:37 AM »
You can buy small hinges at Craft stores and doll house stores and use glue instead of nails just don't glue the hinge part.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
I remember there being an article in Fine Scale Modeler where a modeller had made opening hinges for a Kubelwagon in 1/35th scale.  No idea what issue, but maybe another reader can point you in the right direction.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Watery Graves

• Student
  • Ahoy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »
Whoa, thanks! I looked on the FSM forums, which led me to a video of the guy putting hinges on the Kubelwagon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lN8WCPbDKVE#t=247s

(Also cool is the part just before this, where he drills out the hinges on the passenger doors--this guy is good with a pin vise!)

Offline Watery Graves

• Student
  • Ahoy
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:48:49 AM »
The part where he does the hinges starts around 5:45.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
I make hinges using a short length of metal paperclip inside a section of tube that is cut from the shaft of an ear bud.

Bend the metal into an L shape with one end superglued into a hole drilled in casket.  Meanwhile other end of wire has been slid into tube that has been glued to lid.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
Some good advice here  8) I intend using the same chest for my Robin Hood game and was wondering whether I should glue it open or closed but now think I should make it hinged instead. Thanks.